• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We had no chance of getting the majority of them players. It does beg the question though as to why we can't get similar quality players now-days?

Villarreal snapped him up after his contract with Spurs ended, shifted him to Villarreal B (pretty much the norm for players of that age attached to La Liga clubs), but seemingly stagnated. Prior to his knee injury he'd represented France at every youth level and, IIRC, Villarreal wasn't the only club courting his signature, so I doubt he'd have entertained an offer from us for long at all.

The issue with Federici was always him biding his time and keeping himself fit (hence, only ever signing for us a month at a time) whilst Hahnemann was around as he was Coppell's #1 and an experienced pair of hands, probably not too dissimilar to how Villas-Boas continues to stick with Friedel. As soon as Hahnemann's contract expired, Federici was #1 until he had a falling out with McDermott recently.

It wasn't meant as a snipe, and dusterman doesn't appear to have taken it as one. Chill.

On Dervite - it's such a shame that he hasn't really broken through anywhere as he looked a fantastic prospect with us, so composed. Perhaps at Charlton he'll flourish.

On Federeci - he let that poor goal in at the start of the season and his missus stupidly tweeted her disgust at Reading's disloyalty for replacing him and he's not had a look in since. Don't think letting in 7 will help his cause either. I remember an away trip to Tranmere feeling happy as we had a imposing keeper. But with one of the goals he didn't seem to move his feet brilliantly and let in a soft finish which as a big unit he should have saved. I've seen it since as well, his movement is still suspect on occasion. At Tranmere, it ended 2-2 and we had Sawyer in the middle - his best game that I saw live, gave that thug Anthony Kay a game and a half.

We had no chance of getting the majority of them players. It does beg the question though as to why we can't get similar quality players now-days?

I'd say we stood a fair chance with Mulgrew and Morrison, wouldn't you? If we add Kightly as well we had 6 of the starting 11 on our books permanently at one stage or another.

You're right, there is no reason why we shouldn't have these quality loans nowadays, but perhaps with the finances we missed out on the good ones early doors.

I'd say we stood a fair chance with Mulgrew and Morrison, wouldn't you? If we add Kightly as well we had 6 of the starting 11 on our books permanently at one stage or another.

You're right, there is no reason why we shouldn't have these quality loans nowadays, but perhaps with the finances we missed out on the good ones early doors.

Finances? Most of those players who came to us on loan was when we we above League 2. Standard of football is also a consideration, more for the club the player is loaned from than the player involved.

I would nominate Gilbert (Arsenal) and that lad from Fulham (Milsom?) as worst loanees of recent times. I think Gilbert went back to Arsenal and played in their first team - maybe it was the other players not being at his superior level. I wasn't too impressed by Sanchez Watt either.
I should say as qualification that I only get to home games. Not suggesting these guys are bad players either - sometimes it just doesn't click for a loanee or a permanent signing at a club

I think clubs were more likely to loan us decent players when Tilly was in charge as we tried to play good football in thosedays, plus loanees were recruited from Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, Fulham etc indicating we had good contacts at these clubs. When Martin Jol and Chris Hughton were sacked at Spurs the first place they came to watch a game was at Roots Hall. The way the club is run thesedays I'm not sure we have any decent contacts anymore, plus Sturrock's activity in the transfer market seems limited to players he has used before at several of his former clubs or journeyman pros.

Back