• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Times today

Shrimp in a Kilt

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but some interesting stuff in todays Times:

Paul Connolly starts by being "mildy amused" at being approached by a tout offering to buy, or to sell him a ticket for £110 - anyone get a ticket from such a source?

Describes the crowd as "bellowing for all it was worth", and the game as "a nervy, mostly chance-free encounter between teams who have passed their sell-by dates this season. They are mostly running on adrenalin as they approach the last match of the season and Yeovil will be mightily relieved that Phil Jevons... snaffled his 28th goal of the season.."

This next bit I liked a lot:
"Southends admirable support only upped the bellowing levels...."

Steve Tilson is quoted as saying he is "bricking it, I'm not going to sleep from now until the Grimsby game."

Overall a fair, in fact flattering, report I think.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 02 2005,22:12)]...between teams who have passed their sell-by dates this season. They are mostly running on adrenalin as they approach the last match of the season
How correct, that is exactly Southend since the Leyton Orient game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 03 2005,07:55)]Didnt they give Gower as southends best Player?
No, didn't pick out any particular SUFC player for praise or condemnation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 03 2005,07:55)]Didnt they give Gower as southends best Player?
The Sunday Times did indeed carry a report, and Gower was their star man. He got a 7. I think Flahavan, Jupp, Wilson, Prior and Eastwood got 6s, the rest 5s, which sounds fair enough.

I think Gower's 7 was more on the basis that if anyone was going to create something it would have been him, as for all his promise and for the fact that we consistently looked for him to do so, he didn't actually create much.

can't find the Sunday Times report so here's the one from Monday's Times instead, without ratings

The Observer also had a report

here

Back