• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
I am genuinely excited to see Southend’s response to our first loss in 17 games. I believe the next 5 games will tell us an awful lot about the character we have in the squad. It goes without saying that a 17 game unbeaten run displays the true quality of the team but I believe the next 5 games will shape our season.

It is a fact of life that everyone will experience getting knocked down but the question is will we get back up? As a firm believer in the importance of the mental side of sport, I await to see the psychological impact that defeat will bring about for our boys. As Vince Lombardi once said, “winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing”. In my eyes what this demonstrates is that although you need to possess an element of skill and quality to go on such a run, it is the development of other attributes, mainly confidence, that winning breeds. It is possible that one loss can create self doubt. “Self-doubt is the little voice in your head saying "You Can Do It!" and the big voice saying "I Wish You Would"...listen to the little voice”. If you bear in mind the following quote, “Nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like accomplishment,” this summarises the positive effects of the winning formula that Paul Sturrock has put in place. But, if our players fail to find the true warrior within themselves then they will fall foul of the following rule, “All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is the direct result of his own thoughts”. Quite simply, the players have shown to all associated with the club that we have the ability to succeed, but perhaps, in my opinion, the mindset is the one key thing that stands between success and failure (not winning promotion given our position) this season.

The class and ability of some of our players has shone through each week, whilst the form of others has come to the fore. We can’t look past the fact that other performances have not been so great and yet we have crept over the line owing much to the fact that winning is habitual and the hunger for 3 points increases each and every time you gain a taste of a hard fought success. Just a reminder for your thoughts on how things have changed, I take a quote from the Southend Echo (via our website)which I hope illustrates both the importance of us as fans but also highlights how our fortunes could change… “Southend United manager Paul Sturrock has called on the club’s supporters to remain right behind his team – starting with tomorrow’s trip to Bury. Blues fans have been quick to express their frustrations, particularly at Roots Hall, so far this season. But Sturrock – who took control of the Southend during the summer – now wants them to become a 12th man for his side." Sturrock went onto say that he understands our position as fans but that our support is more important than ever. Let’s give some consideration to the importance of supporting the team through thick and thin. Luggy has done a great job since taking over at the club and he deserves our backing now and whilst I know most will still be on a high, I think many of us have experienced how quickly things can turn, during our time supporting the Shrimpers and perhaps in other walks of life. You may find that some fans quickly become critical if we fail to churn out results in the upcoming weeks and one reason for this is the expectation that a winning run creates. Remember this expectation exists for all stakeholders of Southend United – be it players, staff or fans! So don't lose sight of the fact that we are all united together.

This is a time to enforce Iain Dowie’s principle of bouncebackability – “the ability to recover after a setback.” I, for one, believe that we have the man in Paul Sturrock and the mix of players with the experience of senior pro’s in the side but also the exuberance of youth to be able to get a win next time out and restore that positive winning feeling and formula. But, never underestimate the detriment that a loss can cause. We have it in our hands to do something about it and cheer the Blues on right until the end of the current campaign come rain or shine. The forum has been a great place over the last few months, let’s keep it that way. Stay positive and believe.

With Zest,
Southend4Ever (In a seat at my office desk on a dreary Thursday morning, feeling pumped and passionate about the upcoming games)

I think the next 2 games are very interesting .......... and could be significant.

Away at Cheltenham ..... not identified as a pressure game at the start of the season but now our run has ended, Cheltenham are 4 points below us and also on a good run. Losing would bring them right on our heels.

Away at Oldham - game against higher league opposition where the odds are against us ...... but the pyschological impact of missing out on a game at Anfield may be difficult to manage.

Then we have a run of 6 league games that I would expect us (SUFC) to get a decent points haul from that will keep us near the top ................

........ so for me, it is now all about the next 2 performances and this is where Sturrock and Coughlan will earn their salaries. Can't make Cheltenham this year but I will try to get to Oldham to cheer them on ............:thumbsup:

If we were to lose i would not put to much significance on it as Cheltenham are the home side its the manner in how we compete which would be more the point IMO They are a form team like us and will probably see us as a big test for themselves as well so as long as we compete at the same level as them i think it would give us a good reflection on how good we are and to the players what they can achieve this season....every game on its own merit.

I am genuinely excited to see Southend’s response to our first loss in 17 games. I believe the next 5 games will tell us an awful lot about the character we have in the squad. It goes without saying that a 17 game unbeaten run displays the true quality of the team but I believe the next 5 games will shape our season.

It is a fact of life that everyone will experience getting knocked down but the question is will we get back up? As a firm believer in the importance of the mental side of sport, I await to see the psychological impact that defeat will bring about for our boys. As Vince Lombardi once said, “winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing”. In my eyes what this demonstrates is that although you need to possess an element of skill and quality to go on such a run, it is the development of other attributes, mainly confidence, that winning breeds. It is possible that one loss can create self doubt. “Self-doubt is the little voice in your head saying "You Can Do It!" and the big voice saying "I Wish You Would"...listen to the little voice”. If you bear in mind the following quote, “Nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like accomplishment,” this summarises the positive effects of the winning formula that Paul Sturrock has put in place. But, if our players fail to find the true warrior within themselves then they will fall foul of the following rule, “All that a man achieves and all that he fails to achieve is the direct result of his own thoughts”. Quite simply, the players have shown to all associated with the club that we have the ability to succeed, but perhaps, in my opinion, the mindset is the one key thing that stands between success and failure (not winning promotion given our position) this season.

The class and ability of some of our players has shone through each week, whilst the form of others has come to the fore. We can’t look past the fact that other performances have not been so great and yet we have crept over the line owing much to the fact that winning is habitual and the hunger for 3 points increases each and every time you gain a taste of a hard fought success. Just a reminder for your thoughts on how things have changed, I take a quote from the Southend Echo (via our website)which I hope illustrates both the importance of us as fans but also highlights how our fortunes could change… “Southend United manager Paul Sturrock has called on the club’s supporters to remain right behind his team – starting with tomorrow’s trip to Bury. Blues fans have been quick to express their frustrations, particularly at Roots Hall, so far this season. But Sturrock – who took control of the Southend during the summer – now wants them to become a 12th man for his side." Sturrock went onto say that he understands our position as fans but that our support is more important than ever. Let’s give some consideration to the importance of supporting the team through thick and thin. Luggy has done a great job since taking over at the club and he deserves our backing now and whilst I know most will still be on a high, I think many of us have experienced how quickly things can turn, during our time supporting the Shrimpers and perhaps in other walks of life. You may find that some fans quickly become critical if we fail to churn out results in the upcoming weeks and one reason for this is the expectation that a winning run creates. Remember this expectation exists for all stakeholders of Southend United – be it players, staff or fans! So don't lose sight of the fact that we are all united together.

This is a time to enforce Iain Dowie’s principle of bouncebackability – “the ability to recover after a setback.” I, for one, believe that we have the man in Paul Sturrock and the mix of players with the experience of senior pro’s in the side but also the exuberance of youth to be able to get a win next time out and restore that positive winning feeling and formula. But, never underestimate the detriment that a loss can cause. We have it in our hands to do something about it and cheer the Blues on right until the end of the current campaign come rain or shine. The forum has been a great place over the last few months, let’s keep it that way. Stay positive and believe.

With Zest,
Southend4Ever (In a seat at my office desk on a dreary Thursday morning, feeling pumped and passionate about the upcoming games)
Excellent post........are you Confushus in disguise ?

Cheltenham are the home side its the manner in how we compete which would be more the point IMO They are a form team like us and will probably see us as a big test for themselves as well so as long as we compete at the same level as them i think it would give us a good reflection on how good we are and to the players what they can achieve this season

Good point. I think their players will be under some pressure to play well at home infront of what I suspect will be a bumper crowd for them.

great thought provoking thread. my son's doing sports coaching at brunel and has an a level in psychology which he is finding useful

Good luck to him! There is much more to sport than just turning up and playing, certainly at the top level. I remember doing a ground tour in the 90s and seeing the changing room littered with Jaffa Cakes, used at HT for energy. I remember thinking "no way".

You hear many sports players talk about peaking at the right time, and their physical and mental training is done to coincide with certain times of the season, games, events!

How is he enjoying the course?

I remember doing a ground tour in the 90s and seeing the changing room littered with Jaffa Cakes, used at HT for energy. I remember thinking "no way".

Absolutely no way, whats the point of throwing the bloody things on the floor, they're supposed to be EATING them !!!

:thump:

I wasn't at the game so I can't comment direct on player performance... But, I wouldn't have thought any team in the league is 3 goals better than us. Looking at some of the threads on here as well it would have appeared that it may have helped if the fans gave some thought to my post. This is the beautiful world of football and why we love it I suppose...

It's a shame that I fashioned this article and I was so excited about this game to turn Jeff Stelling on and see we were getting a thumping!

As I said the next 5 games are critical and I don't think Saturday's result is just due to our ability levels... So much to play for and it's not just about the technical attributes...

Come on Southend, Come on the fans! Pull together!

As I said the next 5 games are critical and I don't think Saturday's result is just due to our ability levels... So much to play for and it's not just about the technical attributes...

Come on Southend, Come on the fans! Pull together!

Completely agree, I havn't been on here since last week and you would have thought from the reaction of some fans that the world had ended.

Get behind the lads don't hinder them with abuse. Why you would do that anyway I have no idea.

Since our run of 17 games without defeat our record has been:

Won 3 Drawn 1 Lost 4

One of those was the cup replay to Oldham. So, from 7 league games we managed 10 points. That's reasonable but not enough for promotion. We were unbeaten in 4 before the weekend loss so I think we stand in good stead. Please stick together Blues!!

Back