• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bielzibubz

President
*.............* (insert your own expletive)

What's up with these people. What exactly makes their pieces of 'art' any different and any more worthy than a splattering of paint on a piece of paper put together by a four year old at your local nursery?

I've just listened to the nominees for this years prize going through their explanations for their works and they, without exception, are all completely off their respective trolly's. What fekkin planet are they living on? and more to the point why are we, the taxpayer, giving these loony toons the grants that sustain their weird perceptions on life.

I'm sorry but I seriously don't get all this contemporary art thingy. I may be in a minority here, and I expect I am but God knows I've tried to see it from their perspective whilst visiting The Tate Modern but in all honesty it left me cold and bored stiff.

Please say someone agrees with me or I might just have to go slit my wrists.
biggrin.gif

I think most agree with you, and i'm sure you'll not get a reply from anyone here who will disagree with your points.

The prize monies not very good anyway.....

....and Tracie Emmin (?) is a definite candidate for mingers.com.

I used to work at the Tate.
I was always amazed by the chemistry looking types who'd peruse over a canvas painted red and marvel at its conception.
We used to get one hippy geezer come in at 10 oclock with those fishing stools, he'd open it up and sit there for hours before each weird painting or plinth full of crushed wheel hubs and stare at them like he'd seen an alien.
I'd love to defend modern art becaus I like things people hate but because for the most part they are created by the Oi-polloi I can not.
I saw that exhibition with those cadavers, that was quite interesting in a voyeuristic way but not as gruesome as seeing live autopsies when I use dto work in the Hospitals.
I'm trying to think of modern art that i was really blown away by, but I can't...so it made no impression on me and therefore failed.

I did like Les Battersbies Chair though as created by Toyah Battersby.
smile.gif

I agree with you 95% here.

I prefer art where you can recognize instantly what the artist is trying to convey rather than having to rely on some ponce or critic having to tell me.

Give me a nice painting of a crying boy or a bowl of fruit any day.

That said I have a certain grudging respect for anyone that can generate large sums of money for doing absolutely F - all.

Tracy Emin has got brilliant tits.

That's like seeing fancy, pop-up headlights on a 1978 Vauxhall Nova. Strangely out of place.

Does the taxpayer support the Turner Prize? I strongly suspect the prize money is provided by a corporate sponsor.

I personally like the idea of art making people think. Anything which makes people think has got to be a good thing.

That's not to say that I like all modern art. I am though probably more interested in a modern art display containing some pieces that will make me think (eg a Ford Edsel crashing into a wall as a metaphor for US foreign policy in Vietnam), than a display of 17th century landscapes which whilst very aesthetic and technically accomplished aren't actually all that interesting.

Does the taxpayer support the Turner Prize? I strongly suspect the prize money is provided by a corporate sponsor.

I personally like the idea of art making people think. Anything which makes people think has got to be a good thing.

That's not to say that I like all modern art. I am though probably more interested in a modern art display containing some pieces that will make me think (eg a Ford Edsel crashing into a wall as a metaphor for US foreign policy in Vietnam), than a display of 17th century landscapes which whilst very aesthetic and technically accomplished aren't actually all that interesting.

ps Can't stand the pretentiousness that tends to go with it though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Oct. 03 2006,10:03)]Tracy Emin has got brilliant tits.

That's like seeing fancy, pop-up headlights on a 1978 Vauxhall Nova. Strangely out of place.
1140952041_large.gif

Hard to argue.
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 03 2006,11:54)].

(eg a Ford Edsel crashing into a wall as a metaphor for US foreign policy in Vietnam),
Oh f%&k off. Are you seriously trying to say that you looked at this so-called piece of art and said to yourself, 'Well I never, thats looks just like a metaphor for US foreign policy in Vietnam' or did you just read the little lable underneath.

Where in the mind of anyone sane can an unmade bed or a pile of bricks be called art. If it is then im entering my desk at work, or possibly my parking yard. A line of smashed up motors must be a right masterpiece for someone with such an eye for art.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Oct. 03 2006,10:03)]Tracy Emin has got brilliant tits.

laugh.gif

My favourite part of that sentence is how much she would object to it! Thank God Newsnight have finally stopped getting her on every other night.

Still, you have to feel sorry for her. The chances of her slipping out of the ugly tree and hitting every branch were quite slim really. I suppose at least she will be useful henceforth as a point of reference in DtS' polls. That would be consolation for her.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sebastian Weetabix @ Oct. 04 2006,21:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 03 2006,11:54)].

(eg a Ford Edsel crashing into a wall as a metaphor for US foreign policy in Vietnam),
Oh f%&k off. Are you seriously trying to say that you looked at this  so-called piece of art and said to yourself, 'Well I never, thats looks just like a metaphor for US foreign policy in Vietnam' or did you just read the little lable underneath.

Where in the mind of anyone sane can an unmade bed or a pile of bricks be called art. If it is then im entering my desk at work, or possibly my parking yard. A line of smashed up motors must be a right masterpiece for someone with such an eye for art.
Of course I read the label! However it made enough of an impression that I can recall that piece 5 years later.

And who says sane people are responsible for art?

Half of music seems to be composed or performed when people are off their proverbial pop-up headlights on a 1978 Vauxhall Nova shaped tits.

Back