• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Umbongo

Do you think the Chairman will get the current embargo on SUFC lifted this week?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 31 13.2%
  • No I don't.

Votes: 192 81.7%
  • Bart. (who cares about another relegation anyway)?

Votes: 12 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Our illustrious chairman promised us that he hoped he 'd get the embargo lifted this week.Just to recap ,we need this to happen so we can play two players we've actually signed and got under contract,Sam Hart and Akinola.Also we need the embargo to be lifted before we can sign any new out of contract players.Including the mystery striker that we've apparently been having talks with.

Unless we can get some goal scorers in the team before the next critical 4 matches starting with the game against Stevenage on Saturday (and so far we've scored 6 all season) we're clearly not going to avoid another relegation this season.

So simple question, do you think the Chairman will keep his promise and get the embargo lifted this week?

Last edited:
Far too late ?

Ron will no doubt have 1 eye on the national league and I can honestly see a couple of players going in January

Sterling, Olayinka, White and McCormack have contracts expiring with us in January. I could see Sterling going back to Spurs, Olayinka back to Arsenal and the other two leaving.

The loans will go back in January and couple players contracts will finish in the same month I doubt will get renewed. When January comes and we are miles away from safety, ron will look at and give the ghost up for league 2 football. Carbon copy of last season I reckon.

I would assume Ron will be departing tomorrow to his Carribean tax haven for a well deserved seasonal break.

Just to be clear, where has Ron said he promised to have the embargo lifted? From what I've read all he's said is he hopes to have it lifted.

Would agree that lifting the transfer embargo is not in the Chairman's gift as such but if he pays HMRC the money owed (or a subtantial proportion of it ) then logically HMRC would agree to lift the embargo.

Either way, he hasn't promised anything. You've created a poll based on a false premise.

I certainly wouldn't agree with that statement and I don't think most SUFC fans would either.We've had enough.

It would appear you prefer to raise an insubstantial quibble instead.Have you been watching us over the last 3 seasons?

Edit.I've edited my original post in this thread but not the poll.

Last edited:
Be too little too late. Both players will be lacking match fitness, this mythical out of contract striker we are after probably hasn't played since feb either.

Exactly this, all of these will take a few games to get up to match fitness, we really are in a desperate situation.

Sadly i think it is too late now. The quality of players available to us, who'd actually want to play for us i.e. havent had a better offer elsewhere, when the embargo is lefted are going to be the dross left on the shelf no one else wanted. Every week the points gap is getting wider. We'll soon be needing play-off form at least to get out of trouble and our current squad is so far short of that kind of ability it will take a lot more than 3 or 4 waifs & strays coming in. We'll only pick up the odd point when whoever we're playing is having a bad day. We need to get used to the fact we're going down barring a miracle. The challenge in my opinion is going to be rebuilding a squad capable of being competitive in the NL, by that I mean surviving for starters. If Ron thinks this squad will be ok down there he is sadly mistaken. I honestly doubt if this current side could get promoted from the Ryman league, we're that bad. Our only tiny chance is if Ron gets the embargo cleared and we bring in another lump of a forward to go alongside Akinola, another solid experienced central defender, an experienced but not ancient CM, and another keeper. A spine in other words, because right now we are so spineless its frightening. However anyone decent won't come cheap and im not sure where the money will come from right now, hence I'm expecting more bargain basement no-hopers & relegation by March.

Our illustrious chairman promised us that he hoped he 'd get the embargo lifted this week.Just to recap ,we need this to happen so we can play two players we've actually signed and got under contract,Sam Hart and Akinola.Also we need the embargo to be lifted before we can sign any new out of contract players.Including the mystery striker that we've apparently been having talks with.

Unless we can get some goal scorers in the team before the next critical 4 matches starting with the game against Stevenage on Saturday (and so far we've scored 6 all season) we're clearly not going to avoid another relegation this season.

So simple question, do you think the Chairman will keep his promise and get the embargo lifted this week?
He won't and when COVID is on the backburner and we're all back to normal life, I hope to see Shrimpers fans stand up against him. He has had free reign to do as he wishes for far too long.

I can't see that Ron has anything to gain by having to find/borrow/steal money to pay HMRC (or whoever else the club is in debt to) in order to get the embargo lifted.
He has tacit agreement from the Council for Fossetts and the building of residential both there and at Roots Hall. He clearly couldn't give a toss about the football club (and even less about its fans!).
When we are relegated to the National League he won't need to build a 22,000 seater at Fossetts. He could start by building, say, a 10,000 seater with the option of adding another stand, or two, to it at a later date if the club were to get promoted back to the EFL. National League South will need an even smaller build. This would save him yet more outlay.
Come January if we're still adrift at the bottom there will be no need for him to pay anything for any players coming in - just like last season.
I think he's just playing us along. He's clearly now just in it for the end result for himself.... millions and millions. Why bother even trying to keep the club in the league? It'll just cost him more, whereas relegation will actually save him money.

Whether Ron gets the embargo cleared depends on what happens elsewhere, that’s obvious. What I do fear is the backlash if it makes sod all difference and Hart, Akinola - and any other players we can get in - are crap and unfit. People seem to think we will shoot up the table but I think let’s manage expectations now. We’ll do well to get out of this rut. January and the summer will be another clearout exercise, the rebuilding is far from done. The fact we’ve got players like White and McCormack on short deals and our best players are loanees shows how desperate we are.

The other board members are just that, board members in name only, they don't get a say so, as others have pointed out, he would not take any notice anyway.

This is a one man band who has never wanted outside help from anybody if it means he might have to give them a part of the Golden goose..A new CEO would rip the place apart if he knew how RM runs things...I know as a matter of fact others have left because of that very issue. No wonder RM does not want a new one.

RM suffers from NPD and is only answerable to himself...He does not give a toss what others think, especially if he can brain wash them for half an hour.

This was always a property/development project, we are just the hurdle in the way of that, which might just cost us our 100 year old membership of the FL.

Still that is not a big deal is it? ?

The other board members are just that, board members in name only, they don't get a say so, as others have pointed out, he would not take any notice anyway.

This is a one man band who has never wanted outside help from anybody if it means he might have to give them a part of the Golden goose..A new CEO would rip the place apart if he knew how RM runs things...I know as a matter of fact others have left because of that very issue. No wonder RM does not want a new one.

RM suffers from NPD and is only answerable to himself...He does not give a toss what others think, especially if he can brain wash them for half an hour.

This was always a property/development project, we are just the hurdle in the way of that, which might just cost us our 100 year old membership of the FL.

Still that is not a big deal is it? ?
I remember telling people when Bury went under that we could easily suffer the same fate with someone like Ron at the top. I was ridiculed and people said that he's propped the club up for years. That might be true, but he also has the power as chairman to make it moderately sustainable too?

We came very close to losing our club in the courts. People need to make sure we don't lose it somewhere in the lower leagues.

Back