• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Century United

Firewalking for HD
Tuesday 3rd - Just come back from the pub, nice chat with Ron Mack, told him that I couldn't afford any more trips to watch the Blues this season, especially as out of 5 trips I had managed 2 draws and 3 defeats.

Friday 6th - Incredible, just told my son that I hoped we wouldn't give away an early goal because it would shut the crowd up and knacker us and bingo! Why don't I keep my big mouth shut! :confused:

Saturday 7th - Can't believe all the negativity on SZ. The players DID try hard and they clearly cared, but they were as nervous as a tart in Church. Amazing how quickly some folk forget just how many gutsy performances these same players have put in already this season. Would love to go to Preston now, shame my in-laws are up. This is now the most important game of the season by far, and the players will need all the support they can get.

Sunday 8th - Woo-hoo! I love my Ma in Law, she has told me to go, she and FIL will look after the missus and my girl while I am gone. My missus wants me to go to, she is a gem! Quick call confirms that my Lucky Mascot, local lad Derek, will be available for the game. He has seen us lose only once in 6 trips. Taking son Ross and friend Michael (Blues Virgin) too. Not much time to get the car ready, must get some sleep before we go.

Monday 9th (04:00) Managed nearly 4 hours, will have to do. Boys have stayed awake playing Fifa O7 all night, good means they will sleep in car. Everything in? - If not, too bad, start rolling at 04:50. Deer everywhere, have to go slow - can't afford another Deer Strike, the one on the way home from Sunderland cost me a small fortune - and I never thought to put the Deer Departed in the boot, so didn't even make a bit back on it. A9 is pretty empty so I can make some good progress.

(11:35) Tesco's Carlisle, just off M6 J43. Grab breakfast, decent grub and cheap fuel beats all the motorway services. Trying to remember if we have ever lost when I have stopped here then remember yes - Bloody Derby :cry: Remind the lads that we are travelling to support the team, and NOT to expect a win. Clearly Ricketts will come on and score the winner off his beer gut.

(13:45) Preston! 417 miles on the clock, a bit further than Sunderland. My first visit so another ground to cross off. The locals seem friendly and I like the museum. Lots of Blues fans wandering around, but the general mood seems thoughtful and not particularly hopeful. Meet Piers (keefmoon). He seems thougtful and not particularly hopeful.

(15:00) Like the view from the away end, interesting ground with some VERY retro terracing (disused) to our left. Ron's son Craig sitting just behind us with Anna, who has only ever seen us lose away. Not Good! Glasgow SUFC appears a couple of seats below, and after an unsuccesful attempt to pretend he doesn't know us succumbs to the barracking with good grace and sits in the seat in front. The Blues supporters are in good voice and obviously up for it. From the kick off we are rarely silent, while the PNE fans sit in a silence eerily reminiscent of Roots Hall on Friday. I hope it has the same effect on their players. Really enjoy slagging off Ricketts as he warms up. Ross wants to know why we are all swearing at Agyemang. Ricketts is laughing at us from the dugout. Git!!!

(15:38) Bugger! Eastwood off, must be injured. This is Foran's chance then. I sack Derek as lucky charm.

(15:43) MAHER! What a strike!!! I reinstate Derek.

(16:14) Bugger! I sack Derek again. This has to be it, was too good to be true. All our rivals winning too. We are still all singing our hearts out, mind. Still baiting Ricketts - or are we? Start singing "There's only two Michael Ricketts", and my personal favourite - "You're fatter than your wallet".

(16:37) Double Bugger, why does this always happen to us? Kick the chair in front very hard and knock Glasgow's coat off. Glasgow wishing that he had continued to pretend not to know us. I remind Derek of his sacked status, and demand he pay petrol money for the trip home as he is clearly here under false pretences. For the first time the singing falters a bit, and one guy goes on a mini diatribe against Tilson. I give him a Paddington Stare. The players are really trying now, and PNE looking nervous and unsure, making mistakes. Reminds me of us on Friday.

(16:46) No, Alan! The last one you hit on the volley went over the.... YESSSSSS!!!! Re-hire Derek when I have finished leaping around.

(16:48) DOUBLE YESSSSS!!!! We all go mental, reminds me of the celebration of the first play off final goal everyone hugging everyone. Tell Derek I want to adopt him. Derek doesn't look best pleased, ungrateful sod. My hands are shaking. I show Glasgow... so are his. Final whistle, my heart is still pounding from the Nugent miss at the death. Can't believe this. Try and explain to Michael that this is very much NOT what usually happens at SUFC games. He thinks the whole thing was incredible, and really pleased he came. Another convert to the Cause of Shrimperdom. Tear up my betting slip - £10 on PNE, finally it has worked. PNE fans clapping our team off the pitch - a really nice touch.

(16:55) Just leaving the toilets when a big bloke walking in grabs me and gives me an enormous bear hug. Desperately trying to work our how I could have given him such wrong signals, when I realise that it is Michael, who used to live up the road from me. Haven't seen him in years. What a great addition to a great day. :p

(21:50) Hamilton Services - an hour stuck in a traffic jam has put us behind schedule. Wouldn't normally dream of eating the overpriced, poorly cooked dross that passes for food in Motorway Services, but I'm too happy to care just now. Get the bill. Decidedly less happy, but nothing is going to spoil my day. Buy some Strepsils - my throat is raw and my voice is a miss-piggy-esque squeak.

Tuesday 10th (00:13) stop in a layby on the A9 South of Inverness - only 50 miles to Inverness, but no point pushing things, have to have a snooze

(01:39) Back on the road. Amazing number of lorries heading North, but rather them than Deer.

(04:18) Hundreds of Deer in the last 40 miles, forming a guard of honour for the Returning Conquerors. No suicidal Ruminants, thank God! Drop Derek and Michael at Derek's house.

(04:27) Home. 863 miles all told. Back of the car is a disgusting mess, what are kids like? But I don't care, sort it out tomorrow. Ross heads straight to bed, but I have one last thing to do. I log onto Shrimperzone. A PNE fan has posted some pictures - a quick look reveals a great shot of the Scottish Shrimpers flag, and a couple of shots showing three very well behaved teenagers sitting down and trying hard to ignore a Fat Shouty Bloke who is on his feet waving his arms and, naturally, shouting. Ah! there it is, the Match Thread for the PNE game. I start at the first page and read through, reliving the highs and lows of the game vicariously again. This is like reading a really good thriller when you know the ending. One last time I groan as the posters groan, I live their hope as Maher scores his first, I sink into despair as the penalty is awarded, and then I remember the sense of incredulity that I too felt as they hear the news of Macormack's strike and then Maher's unbelievably classy winner. Hope springs anew, and incredibly tired, and incredibly happy, I stumble to my bed.

Last edited:
Great post it was a fantastic day yesterday one that will live long in the memories.
Will you be driving to Southampton? Will be one hell of a drive for you.

Great post it was a fantastic day yesterday one that will live long in the memories.

I should hope he will - 'bout time he showed some commitment - only 863 miles return to Preston . huh!

Presume ACU that if you were to drive to Plymouth , by the time you got home it would be time to turn around and set off for Southampton !

Top quality report there Tom.
If anybody was unsure of your new ID that can leave us in no doubt now!
As I said, it was great to catch up and hey, maybe we should always sit near each other for last minute Lancashire wins, first Blackpool now PNE.... ? ? ?

good report now extremely excited about southampton away(my first away league game this season):D

Great story!

This puts most of the rest of us to shame! I actually feel quite embarrassed that I didn't go to Preston now after that!

Top man. Also feel embaressed about not going to many away matches now.

Can we all club together and pay for Derek to be mascot against Barsley and Luton?

And to think I actually turned off the radio when we went 2-1 down.I am ashamed to call myself a southend fan after reading this.Theres a proper supporter for you.However i do intend to make amends by travelling to southampton come what may.

I should hope he will - 'bout time he showed some commitment - only 863 miles return to Preston . huh!

I'm afraid that it is a trip too far, though I would love to be there for a) Celebration of our Great Escape, b) Fantastic Fight to Secure our Great Escape, or c) Fond Farewell to the Championship (after all, we were only 'avin a Larf!). Almost certainly Preston was my last match of the season, I will have to trust to the worthy folk of Shrimprzone to continue the work of cheering the lads on to safety.

:thump:

PS - Re: Derek, nice plan but the only time he has seen us lose has also been his only trip to The Home of Football :minger:

Last edited:
Back