• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
My neighbours will never speak to me again. When I awoke on Wednesday morning to find my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth and an empty bottle of white wine in my bed, I was dimly aware that something incredible might have happened. It took another 30 seconds for the memories to filter back into my mind. As they did so, one fuzzy image at a time, I became aware of a gentle ticking noise in the background; the property value of the area was still dropping....

It was with heavy heart that the door to my flat was opened to a legion of Southend Exiles on Tuesday night. One by one, they arrived, clutching bags of booze that they hoped would take away the pain of not being at Roots Hall. We'd tried desperately to get seats for the game, but with a ticketing system that left the door gaping for touts, we were all left empty-handed. Still, we thought, not too worry. We've spared ourselves a fruitless night in the cold. It wasn't like we were going to win the game, was it?

James, a gaming executive, arrived first with his girlfriend, Jenny. Neither of them were particularly confident. "I've heard that Rooney's in the starting line-up," whispered James conspiratorially. We all shuddered, as if an icy breeze had crossed the room. Next in was Matt, a barrister from the city. Pulling drinks out of his bag, he addressed the room with grim fatality. "Five-nil to United, I think." I thought he was wrong. I reckoned on at least seven goals.

By the time the match kicked off, the front room was audibly straining as sofas were hauled round, chairs shifted and needless obstructions, like Jonny the token Leyton Orient fan, were moved to the back. Manchester United imperiously pinged the ball about on the slick surface, but then found to their horror that Southend could do the same.

"Well, that's two minutes on the board and we still haven't conceded," beamed Mark from Muswell Hill, keeping his expectations low.

"You know what?" I said as a plate of white chocolate fingers went round the room, "if someone told me right now that we'd be guaranteed extra-time, I'd be happy. I just don't want us to get humiliated in front of the world."

"Not for me, thanks," said Matt eskewing the white chocolate fingers and clutching the dark chocolate ones close to his chest. "Once you've had black, you never go back."

Ten minutes passed and as belief spread through the blue shirts, it spilled out of the TV and across the room. Every tackle was met with a cheer, every Eastwood run provoked a roar that rumbled around the flat and echoed out of the windows and down the street.

When Southend were awarded a free-kick some distance outside the box, we were edging forward on their seats. Surely it was too far out? Surely Freddy Eastwood wasn't considering a shot from there?

"Is he going to have a crack?" I asked. "I think he is, you know...."

The next thing I remember is being on Matt's back, kissing Mark's stubbly cheek and wondering who was screaming. It turned out to be me. Somehow not a single drink had been knocked over in the melee, the girls scattering behind us with quick fingers as we tumbled off the sofa.

"Your hands, look at your hands," said my girlfriend, as the screaming faded away. "They're shaking!"

"Wibble," I said faintly and slugged at a drink. "Wibble."

Others were more coherent. "Jesus Christ!" squeaked Matt. "Jesus Christ, we're one-nil up against Manchester United!"

Camera-phones were hauled out to snatch a memory of the scoreboard before something horrible happend. Young midfielder David Jones confirmed our need to capture the moment by crashing a shot off the post seconds after Eastwood's goal. We were looking wobbly. In the front room, our shouts became incoherent and panicked.

By now we had attracted the attention of the people across the street. Our windows, opened wide to prevent a crowded room getting very sweaty, presented the neighbours with a reality show more gripping than anything on television. Curtains up and down the street twitched as residents weighed up whether or not they should call the police.

When half-time finally arrived and our lead remained intact, the pacing began. James took to the kitchen, Matt turned circles in front of the telly and I smoked and fidgeted on the window-sill.

"What would you say to them at half-time?" asked James. "How do you get them to repeat that performance?"

"Brian Clough did something interesting once," I said, in between shaky drags. "He had to go to Anfield and just hold Liverpool to a draw to qualify for the next round of the European Cup. At half-time, with Forest and Liverpool locked together at 0-0, he made everyone sit down in the dressing room. 'Listen to that,' he told them and they listened. For 15 minutes, not one of them dared to make a sound, they just sat there in silence. Then when the buzzer sounded, they headed out for the second half."

"What happened?" asked Mark.

"They lost 0-3," I said, "but it was an interesting approach."

The second half was a very different story. For the first 45 minutes, Southend had kept pace with the Premiership leaders, but as the minutes ticked by they were stretched further and further by the relentless waves of red shirts. Daryl Flahavan, the shortest goalkeeper in the league, played like a man possessed. He hurled his 5ft10 frame around the goal, refusing to be beaten by a succession of Cristiano Ronaldo drives. Spencer Prior, the ageing journeyman centre-back, simply picked up Wayne Rooney and put him in his pocket.

On 70 minutes, Matt cracked. "This," he announced to the room, "is no longer pleasant." He began to bellow, "Out!" every time the ball entered the Southend penalty area, his deep, crisp voice richocheting around the leafy, North London street. The people across the road were now watching our antics openly.

Moments later, and James was in difficulties too. He left his spot on the sofa and paced up and down at the back of the room, occasionally sinking to his haunches when the pressure built.

"You know what?" said Jonny the Orient fan. "You might just win this!"

"Shut up!" we screamed. "Chickens and eggs, man! Don't count anything yet!"

As the seconds ticked down, the volume edged up. Heads were buried in hands, drinks were being kicked over by twitchy feet. "Out!" bellowed Matt again. "Out!" he demanded seconds later.

"Wibble," I said, unable to form words.

We didn't hear the final whistle when it sounded, we were already locked in a wide embrace. For the exiles in that room, this was less about a result and more about vindication. Vindication for the times that people had found out who we supported and asked whether we were non-league or not. Vindication for putting up with people confusing us with Southampton. It was revenge for the moments when plastic Premiership fans looked down their noses at us. It was a tonic for the regular long and crowded train journeys that we made from London to Southend.

Every dire 0-0, every league game lost, every inept manager, it was all forgiven with that final whistle. As more drinks were poured and kisses exchanged across the room, some of the older hands sat quietly, grinning from ear-to-ear. For people more loyal to the cause than me, this was something of a religious experience. I've never been rained on in open terracing in Macclesfield, if I had, last night would probably have killed me.

The shouting and whooping continued apace, but there, dear reader, my recollections come juddering to a halt like the end of an old cinefilm. I await with bated breath, the angry visits from the neighbours. I wonder if they'll understand....

f%&king superb Slipper....

Made me get goosebumps!..

You should send this to The Echo..

biggrin.gif

I'm still grinning like an absolute loon...

biggrin.gif

White wine eh? Classy

You can tell you're a London based Shrimper!

smile.gif

The more I read, the more I got involved and the more I was praying that Southend were going to hold out for the win for you!
smile.gif

A superb piece of writing

Going to keep the cheek stubbly until next time we beat them!! Cracking night Slipper, almost as good as actually being at the Hall....and not much quieter I imagine!!

legend.. utter legend, and i have had the pleasure of meeting you..

a true southend leg end

Cheers chaps, I was going to just give it to AAS actually. I don't know anyone at The Echo

Besides, from what I've heard of them, they'll just turn it around and make it a personal attack on Freddy Eastwood!

Oh, and I want to stress that I don't usually drink white wine! I never will again either after the headache I had yesterday!

Great

that's a lovely front room you have Slipper..

done well for yourself
wink.gif

Evil stuff mate. Only to be surpassed by gin, kronenbourg blanc, grolsch, asti spumante and stella in the headache stakes!

I had a headache and terrible sore throat the next day after just 5 pints of IPA.

I'm putting it down to lack of oxygen more than the booze!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Nov. 09 2006,12:10)]Great

done well for yourself
wink.gif
laugh.gif

That's five years hard slog at McDonalds in Chelmsford High St, that is!

I think I saw you on the telly after the final whistle actually! Were you wearing a brown cap? The camera panned across and I saw a few familar faces!

A superb piece of writing
Sir, you have a gift which should be seen by a bigger audience
Bravo

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Nov. 09 2006,12:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Nov. 09 2006,12:10)]Great

done well for yourself
wink.gif
laugh.gif

That's five years hard slog at McDonalds in Chelmsford High St, that is!

I think I saw you on the telly after the final whistle actually! Were you wearing a brown cap? The camera panned across and I saw a few familar faces!
a khaki coloured cap yes..

was i in tears? or was i on the floor.. after falling over
laugh.gif

fantabulous piece - i only live around the corner but got to the game (thanks to shrimperzone) and am still b bb b b bbuzzzzzzzzing -

might get my voice back by saturday ...

how good does it feel ......

Back