• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Women's World Cup.

I'm buzzing for this like an Anne Summers shop with nuclear batteries. Eng...er...LAND!

Expecting to see the eventual WC winners emerge from this semi-final, fingers crossed the Lionesses prevail. This half of the draw has been much tougher than the other. Netherlands and Sweden don't look in the same class, no idea why Germany were so highly ranked, a very ordinary side.

You mean getting the decisions correct I presume?

From what I’ve seen - and I’ll admit, it’s been fairly brief - the refereeing standard is far below what we consider to be an acceptable standard in men’s football.

The England - Cameroon game instantly springs to mind, and had that been a Premier League decider, Champions League Final or even a Men’s World Cup game for example, then it’d be talked about for years to come, for all the wrong reasons.

Again, I must stress that my viewing time has been fleeting, so I could be wrong, but I can only go on the games I’ve seen.

Sadly they will. Like a fart in a lift where nobody admits to dropping it.

Excellent news. In that case, quick can of Bombadier for lunch, smack my Yank colleague in the mouth, then drive home chanting It’s Coming Home!

From what I’ve seen - and I’ll admit, it’s been fairly brief - the refereeing standard is far below what we consider to be an acceptable standard in men’s football.

The England - Cameroon game instantly springs to mind, and had that been a Premier League decider, Champions League Final or even a Men’s World Cup game for example, then it’d be talked about for years to come, for all the wrong reasons.

Again, I must stress that my viewing time has been fleeting, so I could be wrong, but I can only go on the games I’ve seen.

Last world cup, it was the quality of the football, and now it's the standard of refereeing that needs to catch up. In fairness, that seems like the likely order of progression for things anyway. Now there's so much more interest in the game and standards on the pitch have risen, the demand for refereeing standards will be a natural consequence. I think the Cameroon game WILL be talked about for years to come but those wrong reasons are actually the right reasons. I think it was a watershed moment for women's football and it'll emerge stronger for it.

At the risk of sounding like Jeremy Clarkson does anyone else find women's football a little painful to watch?

At the risk of sounding like Jeremy Clarkson does anyone else find women's football a little painful to watch?

You sound like Jeremy Clarkson. No, this tournament has been (on the whole, a few "lesser" teams excepted) a great advert for the women's game.

In the past yes (even 2 years ago at the Euros we were awful, although possibly that was more down to Mark Sampson's hoofball tactics than anything else) but the knockouts this world cup have been far more entertaining than Southend were at many points last season.

You sound like Jeremy Clarkson. No, this tournament has been (on the whole, a few "lesser" teams excepted) a great advert for the women's game.

In the past yes (even 2 years ago at the Euros we were awful, although possibly that was more down to Mark Sampson's hoofball tactics than anything else) but the knockouts this world cup have been far more entertaining than Southend were at many points last season.

I admire the skill level but it seems that possession is given away far more often which makes me wince no matter what game I am watching.

I admire the skill level but it seems that possession is given away far more often which makes me wince no matter what game I am watching.

It's a slightly different game to the men's but sometimes more enjoyable. Lucy Bronze's goal v Norway was far more spectacular than anything the men have served up since the days of Beckham's pomp.

It's refreshing to see the women respect the referee and not roll around like they've been taken out by a sniper for the slightest touch. The men could learn a lot from them.

Last world cup, it was the quality of the football, and now it's the standard of refereeing that needs to catch up. In fairness, that seems like the likely order of progression for things anyway. Now there's so much more interest in the game and standards on the pitch have risen, the demand for refereeing standards will be a natural consequence. I think the Cameroon game WILL be talked about for years to come but those wrong reasons are actually the right reasons. I think it was a watershed moment for women's football and it'll emerge stronger for it.

As long as the governing body & relevant authorities take note in what you’ve said, then you’re absolutely spot on.

As long as the governing body & relevant authorities take note in what you’ve said, then you’re absolutely spot on.
Hopefully one of the aspects of the game where the influx of money drives the right behaviour/actions/activities etc.

As for tonight, it won't get any tougher. Hate the arrogance coming out of the states at the moment and would love to see us shove it down their throats.

Neville's team talk is already done and pinned to the wall.

Hopefully one of the aspects of the game where the influx of money drives the right behaviour/actions/activities etc.

As for tonight, it won't get any tougher. Hate the arrogance coming out of the states at the moment and would love to see us shove it down their throats.

Neville's team talk is already done and pinned to the wall.

Arrogance coming out of The US? I refuse to believe this

Still, even if they do lose, it’ll all be forgotten on Thursday, when they celebrate Traitors Day

:Whistling:

A bit like after England men raise my hopes and spirits and then dashing them, I'm really struggling to raise the inclination to watch tonight's semi, or the final for that matter. Pah.

A bit like after England men raise my hopes and spirits and then dashing them, I'm really struggling to raise the inclination to watch tonight's semi, or the final for that matter. Pah.

I think it was worse. The cruelty of the VAR disallowed goal and the fluffed penalty. It hurt and I'm not over it yet. Got the Swe v Neth game on, but either of these will get tonked by the States. Hey ho.

I think it was worse. The cruelty of the VAR disallowed goal and the fluffed penalty. It hurt and I'm not over it yet. Got the Swe v Neth game on, but either of these will get tonked by the States. Hey ho.
I actually didn't think VAR was at fault last night. They made the right call on the 'Offside' England goal and again on the penalty in our favour.

I actually didn't think VAR was at fault last night. They made the right call on the 'Offside' England goal and again on the penalty in our favour.

Agreed but it's hard to take when you've been bouncing around the living room when White slotted home.

Back