• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The World Cup betting thread!

The General

The Mouse (*)
First bet(s) of the tourny are Aguero (16) and Higuan (20) for top goalscorer (both E/W).

Messi is more of a play-maker for the Argies and with the weak group they are in, this should be easy money!

First bet(s) of the tourny are Aguero (16) and Higuan (20) for top goalscorer (both E/W).

Messi is more of a play-maker for the Argies and with the weak group they are in, this should be easy money!

I have Aguero and Fred both EW, I dont think Messi or Neymar will perform as expected

Backed Uruguay at 50s some time ago. Will probably trade out of that if/when they get to the last 16.

Fred (33s) and Benzema (40s) are my golden boot picks.

Gone long on earliest tournament goal at 95-100 seconds, £2 a second.

I have a drunken bet on France to win it at something like 50/1 on Betfair, placed before they qualified. I also have Benzema golden boot at 50/1. I suppose I'd need France to do well then.

Trying hard to pick a winner and failing so far. Finding reasons to doubt them all.

I like Reus to be top German scorer at 7/1. Can't find much else of particular interest though.

Trying hard to pick a winner and failing so far. Finding reasons to doubt them all.

I like Argentina, but not at the prices; value has gone there.

For once, a holiday may end up saving me money. I'm away with the family for ten days during the World Cup and if I was at work during that time I would no doubt do my conkers betting on every game.

Anyone else interested in backing France/Benzema?

Because I like the sound of laying France bets.

Anyone else interested in backing France/Benzema?

Because I like the sound of laying France bets.

Aye. I give it 4 days before they're striking again.

Been saying Argentina for a long time and I can't see past them at the moment. Messi and Aguero are coming into form after spells out, Di Maria's been focal for Madrid this season and Higuain's one of the top scorers in Europe. I'd be far more apprehensive of facing Argentina's attacking talent than, for example, Brazil's, Germany's or Spain's.

I'm waiting for the special offers to come out before I put any real money down, but Argentina will be getting some of it. Higuain for the golden boot too, and I like Colombia to reach the final too.

I'm waiting for the special offers to come out before I put any real money down.

Sensible; there will be loads of those. Coral have already come out with a money back offer on losing World Cup winner bets if Argentina or Brazil win.

We're giving money back on losing World Cup winner bets if Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo or Suárez top score.

No-one fancying Spain at 6's???

Their squad is by far the best. Argies good going forward at the back and even CM they lack the quality to win IMO I can't see where Higuain will start for Argentina? Surely Messi is not going to be moved from his central position to make way for Higuain. Lavezzi and Di Maria on the wings and Aguero as well to play, I wouldn't start Higuain.

Colombia to reach the final? :hilarious:

When we qualify I will be happy to face them

No-one fancying Spain at 6's???

Their squad is by far the best. Argies good going forward at the back and even CM they lack the quality to win IMO I can't see where Higuain will start for Argentina? Surely Messi is not going to be moved from his central position to make way for Higuain. Lavezzi and Di Maria on the wings and Aguero as well to play, I wouldn't start Higuain.

Colombia to reach the final? :hilarious:

When we qualify I will be happy to face them

Argentina played Messi either out wide or behind a front two throughout qualification. It's where he's at his best and makes the most out of Argentina's strength in depth going forward. I think they'll go with Higuain leading with Aguero and Messi playing off him.

I don't fancy Spain. They've been found wanting going forward for a while now and that doesn't look like changing in time for this tournament. Only two nations have won consecutive World Cups - the great Brazil side of 58/62 and the pre-war Italians in 34/38 - and the game is globally far more competitive than it once was. Add into it the fact that no European nation has won a tournament in South America and the humiliation Brazil gave them in the Confed last summer, I just can't see it. For my money Germany are a better option than Spain if you're favouring a European nation.

And Colombia were scintillating in qualifying. Falcao looks like being 50/50 to make the tournament which is a big blow to their hopes, but I'd fancy them to cause us no end of trouble should we face them in the second round, with or without him. And besides, you don't bet the event - you bet the price. They're 11/1 now, but won't be once they've won Group C.

Yeah, Spain look like a team past their sell-by date.

They were based on Barca in particular and see how Barca fell away this year. They may have one last hurrah, but I wouldn't be betting on it.

What I'd like to see is a summary of how many games each side's likely starting XI (it should be XV or XVI) have played this year out of the likely contenders.

I'll back the freshest team.

Doubt that's Spain with the Champions (sic) League final being between two Spanish sides and a third side reaching the quarters.

Argentina played Messi either out wide or behind a front two throughout qualification. It's where he's at his best and makes the most out of Argentina's strength in depth going forward. I think they'll go with Higuain leading with Aguero and Messi playing off him.

I don't fancy Spain. They've been found wanting going forward for a while now and that doesn't look like changing in time for this tournament. Only two nations have won consecutive World Cups - the great Brazil side of 58/62 and the pre-war Italians in 34/38 - and the game is globally far more competitive than it once was. Add into it the fact that no European nation has won a tournament in South America and the humiliation Brazil gave them in the Confed last summer, I just can't see it. For my money Germany are a better option than Spain if you're favouring a European nation.

And Colombia were scintillating in qualifying. Falcao looks like being 50/50 to make the tournament which is a big blow to their hopes, but I'd fancy them to cause us no end of trouble should we face them in the second round, with or without him.

Couldn't disagree more that Messi is at his best behind the frontmen based on the fact he hasn't set the international scene alight yet and when playing as the central striker for Barca has scored record breaking amount of goals and won 4 Ballon D'ors just don't see how anyone can say he is better behind the striker.

Diego Costa is the obvious solution to Spains lack of a striker if he is fit they won the Euro's without a striker and now they have one. At the beginning of this season I would of said Germany over Spain but after this season have to change my mind 2 teams in CL final and Madrid battering Munich, Atletico playing so well giving more options for them. Please pick me an 11 out of their 30 man squad that you think cannot win it. Class everywhere and still 7 men to be cut out.

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Napoli/ITA), David de Gea (Manchester United/ENG)

Defenders: Dani Carvajal, Sergio Ramos (both Real Madrid), Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba (both Barcelona), Cesar Azplicueta (Chelsea/ENG), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich/GER), Raul Albiol (Napoli/ITA), Alberto Moreno (Sevilla)

Midfielders: Sergio Busquets, Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta, Cesc Fabregas (all Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Ander Iturraspe (Athletic Bilbao), David Silva (Manchester City/ENG), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal/ENG), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Tiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich/GER), Juan Mata (Manchester United/ENG)

Forwards: Diego Costa, David Villa (both Atletico Madrid), Alvaro Negredo, Jesus Navas (both Manchester City), Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Fernando Llorente (Juventus/ITA), Fernando Torres (Chelsea/ENG)

They were based on Barca in particular and see how Barca fell away this year. They may have one last hurrah, but I wouldn't be betting on it.

What I'd like to see is a summary of how many games each side's likely starting XI (it should be XV or XVI) have played this year out of the likely contenders.

Doubt that's Spain with the Champions (sic) League final being between two Spanish sides and a third side reaching the quarters.

Surely having 3 out of the 4 teams in the CL semi finals show's how good they and is not a weakness?

Barca fell as they did not have a fully fit and firing Messi simple as

While considering which teams should be fresh, it might also be worth looking at where and when teams are playing. Germany's draw has done them little favours for example as they play two of their three games mid afternoon in what are likely to be really oppressive conditions.

Back to your point, Spain had a ridiculous number of players featured in the semis of both major European competitions. England had barely any. We're going to win! (Maybe).

2010 WC Spain v Netherlands CL Inter v Bayern
2006 WC Italy v France CL Barca v Arsenal
2002 WC Brazil v Germany CL Real Madrid v Leverkusen
1998 WC France v Brazil CL Real Madrid v Juventus
1994 WC Brazil v Italy CL CL Milan v Barcelona

2012 EC Spain v Italy CL Chelsea v Bayern Manich
2008 EC Spain v Germany CL Man U v Chelsea
2004 EC Greece v Portugal CL Porto v Monaco
2000 EC France v Italy CL Real Madrid v Valencia
1996 EC Germany v Czech Republic CL Juventus v Ajax
1992 EC Denmark v Germany CL Barcelona v Sampdoria

So no country has ever won the World Cup or European Championships the same year as one of their clubs has got through to the Champions (sic) League final.

2010 WC Spain v Netherlands CL Inter v Bayern
2006 WC Italy v France CL Barca v Arsenal
2002 WC Brazil v Germany CL Real Madrid v Leverkusen
1998 WC France v Brazil CL Real Madrid v Juventus
1994 WC Brazil v Italy CL CL Milan v Barcelona

2012 EC Spain v Italy CL Chelsea v Bayern Manich
2008 EC Spain v Germany CL Man U v Chelsea
2004 EC Greece v Portugal CL Porto v Monaco
2000 EC France v Italy CL Real Madrid v Valencia
1996 EC Germany v Czech Republic CL Juventus v Ajax
1992 EC Denmark v Germany CL Barcelona v Sampdoria

So no country has ever won the World Cup or European Championships the same year as one of their clubs has got through to the Champions (sic) League final.

There are first times for everything my friend, considering both teams in the CL final are Spainish it makes it only more likely. I just think they have so much more depth than any other side. In the final 23 there won't be a player defensively you can point out as a possible weak link Ramos has always got a mistake in him and certainly a red card but still I don't fancy Sturridge chances against him.

Couldn't disagree more that Messi is at his best behind the frontmen based on the fact he hasn't set the international scene alight yet and when playing as the central striker for Barca has scored record breaking amount of goals and won 4 Ballon D'ors just don't see how anyone can say he is better behind the striker.

He might be the focal point of Argentina's attack, but he's rarely - if ever - played as a traditional centre forward. He's always played slightly deeper, occupying between the lines of defence and midfield.

Please pick me an 11 out of their 30 man squad that you think cannot win it. Class everywhere and still 7 men to be cut out.

Reina; Carvajal, Albiol, Moreno, Azpilicueta; Busquets, Iturraspe, Koke, Cazorla, Alcantara; Llorente

He might be the focal point of Argentina's attack, but he's rarely - if ever - played as a traditional centre forward. He's always played slightly deeper, occupying between the lines of defence and midfield.

Reina; Carvajal, Albiol, Moreno, Azpilicueta; Busquets, Iturraspe, Koke, Cazorla, Alcantara; Llorente

I'll agree he doesn't play the traditional centre forward role but he isn't exactly the same size as Barry Corr now but he doesn't play behind anyone in the Barca team so he is the central striker just given the freedom to go wherever he pleases. He is most effective when he is playing a one two outside the box with someone putting him through on goal. If he's playing behind Hig for Arg does Hig have the passing quality for Messi play that with I don't think so. Regardless they aren't good enough at the back or in centre mid.

That Spain side yes probably wouldn't win it still very capable of semi's I'd say only Brazil's, Argentina's and Germany's starting 11's are better than that side, and you've probably picked the 7 that will all be dropped anyway.

There are first times for everything my friend, considering both teams in the CL final are Spainish it makes it only more likely. I just think they have so much more depth than any other side. In the final 23 there won't be a player defensively you can point out as a possible weak link Ramos has always got a mistake in him and certainly a red card but still I don't fancy Sturridge chances against him.

Sure, but I don't see value in odds of 6/1 when it hasn't happened in 11 occasions to date.

ps Can someone please post up the latest odds

Back