• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
Watched The Martian today and loved it, read the book which was a bit meh but the film far more entertaining. That led me to have a look at NASA's facebook page and all fascinating stuff about what they are doing to get to Mars.

What I also found was bewildering though. There are a lot of people on their comments claiming NASA is lying and that not only did we not go to the moon (a conspiracy theory that at least has some grounding in reality) but that that the world is actually flat.

This doesnt seem to be one or two but quite a few, it might even be some group targetting NASA by the amount of comments.

At first I thought it was just daft trolling but when you read the arguments these people genuinely believe the planet is flat. When you check their facebook profiles they often are quite religious, which goes someway to explain it as science often contradicts their beliefs, but Id have thought most would have moved with the times somewhat.

I never understand people who are so willing to believe any old conspiracy theory and Ive found if someone believes one they are generally likely to believe all of them, but surely any person with the intelligence to put their shoes on their feet and type on a keyboard can see how insane a theory of the earth being flat and NASA doing everything they can to hide the fact is ?

https://www.facebook.com/NASA?fref=nf

Sadly you can point all manner at evidence at people and they will accuse you of being part of the conspiracy. The world is horribly random and people need easy answers to complex answers - same as religion in my eyes.

I studied Physics at university and what the likes of Brian Cox and Carl Sagan don't tell you is that a lot of it is so boring it makes working in a bank look like an attractive proposition.

I am however open to offers if anyone from the Iranian or North Korean nuclear programs are recruiting.

Sadly you can point all manner at evidence at people and they will accuse you of being part of the conspiracy. The world is horribly random and people need easy answers to complex answers - same as religion in my eyes.

Indeed, and these two seemed linked. Most of the people posting this stuff seem to be religous so the world being round and part of a massive universe clashes with their ideology. Most sane people though who are religious seem to make adjustments to what the bible may tell them and believe dinosaurs existed and the world wasnt created in 7 days.

As an atheist I dont get religion or how people can believe in a god, but I can understand why people do, having something to believe in to explain everything. However to think the planet is actually a flat disc and that the sun circles it and not the other way around is crazy bat**** bananas.

Watched The Martian today and loved it, read the book which was a bit meh but the film far more entertaining. That led me to have a look at NASA's facebook page and all fascinating stuff about what they are doing to get to Mars.

What I also found was bewildering though. There are a lot of people on their comments claiming NASA is lying and that not only did we not go to the moon (a conspiracy theory that at least has some grounding in reality) but that that the world is actually flat.

This doesnt seem to be one or two but quite a few, it might even be some group targetting NASA by the amount of comments.

At first I thought it was just daft trolling but when you read the arguments these people genuinely believe the planet is flat. When you check their facebook profiles they often are quite religious, which goes someway to explain it as science often contradicts their beliefs, but Id have thought most would have moved with the times somewhat.

I never understand people who are so willing to believe any old conspiracy theory and Ive found if someone believes one they are generally likely to believe all of them, but surely any person with the intelligence to put their shoes on their feet and type on a keyboard can see how insane a theory of the earth being flat and NASA doing everything they can to hide the fact is ?

https://www.facebook.com/NASA?fref=nf

So if you believe in a conspiracy it has some grounding in reality, but if you don't?

So if you believe in a conspiracy it has some grounding in reality, but if you don't?

I have no doubt we have been to the moon, but at least that conspiracy has some sort of reality to it, NASA could have faked the moon landings.

The earth can not be flat, the fact that there are so many people who believe this to be the case, and that the moon isnt even ball shaped is incredible.

I have no doubt we have been to the moon, but at least that conspiracy has some sort of reality to it, NASA could have faked the moon landings.

The earth can not be flat, the fact that there are so many people who believe this to be the case, and that the moon isnt even ball shaped is incredible.

Ahh, I see what you mean. I thought you were saying we haven't been to the moon.

My apologies.

As for the earth being flat. It is, isn't it?

:winking:

Much like Shrimperzone people are much more inclined to comment when they have something to moan about. People who believe the world is round and we went to the moon have no reason to post or even venture into the comments because they have nothing to say. Meanwhile conspiracy theorists feel like they need to 'enlighten' everyone and argue against NASA, and so spread their rubbish ideas everywhere.

There's also the problem that Facebook doesn't have an unlike button, so a comment about the world being flat might have 50 likes, but the other 950 people who disagree can't vote it down, making it appear that 'the world is flat' is a commonly held belief on Facebook.

There's also the problem that Facebook doesn't have an unlike button, so a comment about the world being flat might have 50 likes, but the other 950 people who disagree can't vote it down, making it appear that 'the world is flat' is a commonly held belief on Facebook.

That and the fact that for the average Facebook user their entire world is flat - and rectangular...

i recall watching a really good documentary years ago explaining 'with (bad) science' that we didn't go to the moon . It was very convincing and showed shadows in the wrong direction , the flag waving in zero wind, reflections showing three astronauts on the surface when their were only two as well as opinions on the quality of the photos being too good bearing in mind the point and hope technology, as well as 'experts' stating that we did not have the technology at that point in time to run the life support systems needed. It went on to say that Capricorn one was based on fact. It was really well put together and very persuasive as a lot of it was 'science'...........

I then found a website that used 'science' to give simple examples to prove the 'bad science' wrong. My point is that the documentary was very convincing if you wanted to believe in something you can always find something 'proving' that you are right- if you want to believe it

ps Capricorn One is a great film :smile:

Indeed thats the thing, if you want to believe a conspiracy you will and people that do generally then ignore all common sense and facts that contradict it.

The flat earth people seem to cling on to the fact that there has never been a picture of the earth from space. All the pictures that have been published are apparently fake, including those from the ISS that get posted pretty much daily.

They are so entrenched in their ridiculous belief that they see basic evidence against it and refuse to believe it, yet need no real evidence to back up their theory.

One guys evidence of the whole thing was he had never seen a camera view on the front of a rocket blasting to space, just one that points backwards. Why that would prove it I dont know.

Back