• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The worm will turn ......... but not necessarily any time soon.

Brett Angle

First XI
For different reasons our players have had the last three managers fired. Sacking Brown was a big mistake - I said it at the time despite swimming against the tide on this forum - but I've seen nothing since that leads me to change my mind on that. Quite the reverse.

However that is in the past. Looking forward the one silver lining to all this is that 70% of this squad will either be released at the end of their contract, sent back to their parent clubs or have their contracts terminated at the end of the season. Then the rebuild can start - albeit at a lower level. I'd love to say that process could start in January but I don't think Ron has the money to do it - and I think it's inconceivable that we will be able to attract the quality of players in our current predicament. Hope I'm wrong on both those scores but realistically this season has gone and maybe fans accepting that to an extent could help Sol make the right long term decisions for the club.

Sacking Brown was the worst decision Martin has made since becoming involved in the club.
Lost the dressing room? Bollocks! should have shipped out the players causing the issues and probably still are causing the issues.

If there still is an issue from the PB days then that narrows it down to Oxley, White, Kiernan, Demi, McLaughlin and Cox.

I have a feeling from what I’ve heard who one of the issue players is.

Sacking Brown was the worst decision Martin has made since becoming involved in the club.
Lost the dressing room? Bollocks! should have shipped out the players causing the issues and probably still are causing the issues.

Totally agree. Wycombe have navigated some troubled waters since the play off final and stuck with Ainsworth. I think they are fairing slightly better than us:LoyalSupporter:

PB gave a frustrated post-match interview after the draw at MK Dons and then, shortly after, was the issue with the Christmas Party after the defeat at Bristol Rovers. It's easy to forget that the MK Dons match was the one where both Ranger and Robinson were left behind due to being late for the coach.

The heart had gone a bit from the performances for a few differing reasons, at this time, and PB knew his tenure was probably coming to an end. However, the slide was only over about a six week period, fuelled by the expectations of a play-off push that was faltering and a few player issues, too, as mentioned above.

I don't think it was the wrong decision to part company with PB, but what was wrong was the demand that we should be in The Championship and anything short of this was deemed as a failure.

In hindsight, yes I would have kept with PB, but I would have let the team settle in League One and bring through our own players. We went for the holy grail option instead.

Last edited:
Think we're singing from the same hymn book here. Mine is total guess work linking who was around when and who was released etc.

Yep, I think we are. And we can survive in that department without him, if I were Sol I’d be looking to get rid in Jan.

I think Coxy could make a very good manager.

It's a shame there is a perceived issue with him. He has been our best player over pretty much all of the time he has been here.

I don’t think we are that many players from being a team able to win the odd game.
There are huge signs of improvement (not hard I admit), and with a commanding central defender and a good left back to cover for Ralph’s injury we probably would of gone on to win yesterday.

We could do with a winger to aid options, but I don’t think it needs wholesale changes in January.

We are down anyway, so just bed 2 or 3 players in and have a huge clear out in the summer.

As long as we pick up a bit, and maybe end the season with 20 odd points from the last 20 odd games at least its a step in the right directio.

It's a shame there is a perceived issue with him. He has been our best player over pretty much all of the time he has been here.

On what basis? Genuine question not a dig.

Yep, I think we are. And we can survive in that department without him, if I were Sol I’d be looking to get rid in Jan.

In my opinion, we’d be better off without Cox. No one is doubting his talent (certainly not the man himself), it’s more his alleged influence on other players. I’m sure Sol will be looking to move him on. For too long we’ve lacked the right mix in the dressing room and lacked a proper leader, I hate to bang on about Adam Barrett .. but that type. Someone who cares more about the club than the footballer lifestyle. For what it’s worth I think Brown DID deserve more backing from Ron but it was left too late, he’d already lost heart. Shame, as I rated him as a manager. He was as mad as a box of frogs...sure.

On what basis? Genuine question not a dig.

Because he is a very intelligent footballer, is hard-working and wouldn't suffer poor standards for long. He also has an ambition to coach and manage in football.

I guess you see it differently?

Because he is a very intelligent footballer, is hard-working and wouldn't suffer poor standards for long. He also has an ambition to coach and manage in football.

I guess you see it differently?

No, footballing wise he has the experience and ability. I just wonder with him having been our best player over the past couple of seasons there must be a reason he hasn’t been made captain. Is that what is lacking from what would make him a good manager those leadership skills.

It's a thought, but captain on the field isn't an overly good guide to motivational skill requirements. Football captaincy wouldn't be a way to judge, in my view.

Phil Brown should have been sacked, how do people forget we won 10 out of 18 games under Powell once he left and finished 10th that year?

I get things aren’t good, but we could look back in time and say “well if we didn’t do this then” forever.

For example, if only Ron had handled funds better towards the end of the last decade, we wouldn’t have had to rebuild in League 2 without Tilly and Brush.

PB gave a frustrated post-match interview after the draw at MK Dons and then, shortly after, was the issue with the Christmas Party after the defeat at Bristol Rovers. It's easy to forget that the MK Dons match was the one where both Ranger and Robinson were left behind due to being late for the coach.

The heart had gone a bit from the performances for a few differing reasons, at this time, and PB knew his tenure was probably coming to an end. However, the slide was only over about a six week period, fuelled by the expectations of a play-off push that was faltering and a few player issues, too, as mentioned above.

I don't think it was the wrong decision to part company with PB, but what was wrong was the demand that we should be in The Championship and anything short of this was deemed as a failure.

In hindsight, yes I would have kept with PB, but I would have let the team settle in League One and bring through our own players. We went for the holy grail option instead.

Good points Andy and to a degree I agree that the expectation of Championship football was a hindrance but we have to be looking towards that if we are a decent top half League 1 side.

In fact when you look at the results when CP took over and also the way we played, just maybe we could have done it that season.

Although the run of results was what finally did for PB, the knives had been out for some time for any number of reasons. Not saying I agree with all of them, but take your pick.

Negative tactics
Sitting on a lead and inviting pressure
Signing old crocks and old lags
Favourites and undroppable players
Too much media time
Forcing out decent players he fell out with
Too orange
Too northern
Arrogant

I was in favour of getting rid mainly because I thought he had run his course and was too negative tactically.

What we would all give now for a genuine bit of clean sheet mentality!

PB had to go but what is killing us is very poor recruitment of players who are not up to standard by last two managers.The only positive is the youth players coming through but I fear who ever comes in January will be too late to save us from the inevitable

Nobody has mentioned the selling of Leonard, also letting of Marco A Fortune go, were huge mistakes others were not replaced with the same quality Bridge, Timlin, Atkinson, Mcglashan, Wordsworth and then came the injuries to Coker et al.
Easy to spot in hindsight but RM has to put his hands up. He took his eye off the ball deffo distracted with FF.

Back