• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The worsening situation in Ukraine

It’s all well and good Putin being dethroned but if that does happen for one reason or another the burning question will be who will fill his boots and it may well be someone military leaders feel more alined with thus escalating things in Ukraine even more but on their terms.

Better the ? you know then the one you don’t ?

I think it’s well documented that if Hitlers Generals had things their way things may well have turned out different.
Are Russian military leaders that strongly behind Putin's invasion?

Are Russian military leaders that strongly behind Putin's invasion?

Without a doubt, especially that dude they bought in from Syria. Plenty of old guard still feel aggrieved about the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Problem is for them is that many of the forces they command aren’t really up to the task.

If that’s true that they’ve lost approximately a third of their land forces since it started is astonishing and just isn’t sustainable.

I would also wager that there’s a massive void between those at the top and those on ground. Severe lack of middle management.

Without a doubt, especially that dude they bought in from Syria. Plenty of old guard still feel aggrieved about the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Problem is for them is that many of the forces they command aren’t really up to the task.

If that’s true that they’ve lost approximately a third of their land forces since it started is astonishing and just isn’t sustainable.

I would also wager that there’s a massive void between those at the top and those on ground. Severe lack of middle management.
There's plenty of middle management at the company I work for. I'd happily support the transfer of a few of them to assist Russia (And if they behave in exactly the same way as they do at my company then they'll probably assist Ukraine more than Russia)

President Erdogan of Turkey has reiterated, this time in much stronger terms, his opposition to Finland and Sweden joining NATO. I note also that Sweden wants to join but is not willing to have nuclear weapons on its soil or even a permanent NATO base.

President Erdogan of Turkey has reiterated, this time in much stronger terms, his opposition to Finland and Sweden joining NATO. I note also that Sweden wants to join but is not willing to have nuclear weapons on its soil or even a permanent NATO base.

We want to join “BUT”

Problem is now if they don’t join is that we’ve now committed to supporting both countries in the event of a Russian attack.

Makes you wonder if these things have actually been thought through properly.

If you work with NATO, (or even the UN) you would quickly realise it is a very uneasy and disjointed organisation with many competing factions; and far from a united "house". Finland and Sweden are not members BUT already have a "voice" and contacts with the major powers (and pay masters) AND are in singular special agreements on important sharing and participation regards intel, special ops, training and weapons: more so than Turkey who view those circumstances with obvious jealousy.

Interesting discussion and assessment broadcast on main Russian TV.

It was an extraordinary piece of television.

60 Minutes is the flagship talk show on Russian state TV: studio discussion promoting the Kremlin line in everything, including President Putin’s so-called "special military operation" in Ukraine. The Kremlin still maintains that the Russian offensive is going according to plan.

But studio guest Mikhail Khodarenok, a military analyst and retired colonel, painted a very different picture.

He warned that “the situation [for Russia] will clearly get worse” as Ukraine receives additional military assistance from the West and that “the Ukrainian army can arm a million people”.

Referring to Ukrainian soldiers, he noted that “the desire to defend their motherland very much exists".

"Ultimate victory on the battlefield is determined by the high morale of troops who are spilling blood for the ideas they are ready to fight for.”

“The biggest problem with [Russia’s] military and political situation”, he continued, “is that we are in total political isolation and the whole world is against us, even if we don’t want to admit it. We need to resolve this situation.”

“The situation cannot be considered normal when against us is a coalition of 42 countries and when our resources, military-political and military-technical, are limited.”

The other guests in the studio were silent; even the host, Olga Skabeyeva, normally fierce and vocal in her defence of the Kremlin, appeared unusually subdued.

It’s rare to hear such realistic analysis on Russian TV. The Kremlin has gone out its way to control the informational landscape here: shutting down independent Russian news sources, and ensuring that television – the principal tool in Russia for shaping public opinion - is on message.

So, what happened on 60 Minutes? Was this a spontaneous and unexpected wake-up call on Ukraine that slipped through the net? Was it pre-planned to prepare Russians for negative news on the "special military operation"?

It’s too early to say. Stay tuned to Russian TV for further signals.

Do I detect a calmer tone coming from Russia at the moment? Do they realise there must be an end to this insanity? The events in Mariupol may allow the Russians to claim victory over “Nazi” forces (the Azov Battalion) in the Donbas region and start to reduce operations in that area, at least talking things back to the pre-invasion. Then perhaps a very prolonged period of jaw jaw rather than all out war.

I do look at tass.com from time to time and reports are increasingly detailing facts that match reporting from the West. They even admitted that Ukraine won the Eurovision Song Contest.

Do I detect a calmer tone coming from Russia at the moment? Do they realise there must be an end to this insanity? The events in Mariupol may allow the Russians to claim victory over “Nazi” forces (the Azov Battalion) in the Donbas region and start to reduce operations in that area, at least talking things back to the pre-invasion. Then perhaps a very prolonged period of jaw jaw rather than all out war.

Maybe it’s getting to the stage whereby Russians are beginning to wake up to the reality of this complete cluster **** and much of Russian arm forces just want to go home.

Losing so many men not to mention equipment must be starting to take its toll on moral.

Also the fact that Vlad is personally running things now says a lot.

Maybe it’s getting to the stage whereby Russians are beginning to wake up to the reality of this complete cluster **** and much of Russian arm forces just want to go home.

Losing so many men not to mention equipment must be starting to take its toll on moral.

Also the fact that Vlad is personally running things now says a lot.

Now that’s very interesting. Putin can’t be the only power in Russia. Of course he’s a bad guy, but how much has he deferred to others over the invasion to guarantee his own security. Now maybe he is in a stronger position because of the endless failures strange as that may seem.

Yes, a bit like Hitler tried to do towards the end of WWII with non existent armies and reserves he thought he had.

I said from day one on here, no way can a force of 200k defeat a Country of 40 million. They have 10 million (of fighting age), it's just not possible as well as the equipment the West is giving them. The russians know the game is up, they're digging in, trying to control what they have. Also reports of russian units moving back into russia.

Warfare is changing, no longer can a Country invade another, Technology is too advananced. We'll start to see Wars go full circle where trench Warfare becomes the norm again.

I said from day one on here, no way can a force of 200k defeat a Country of 40 million. They have 10 million (of fighting age), it's just not possible as well as the equipment the West is giving them. The russians know the game is up, they're digging in, trying to control what they have. Also reports of russian units moving back into russia.

Warfare is changing, no longer can a Country invade another, Technology is too advananced. We'll start to see Wars go full circle where trench Warfare becomes the norm again.
Trench warfare with Drones, christ what a horrible thought.

Back