• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Worst & Best Pubs Thread

How about the Railway in Pitsea fondly known as The Flying Bottle,the simple rules in there was not known not welcome,many a Beano down from London got bushwhacked,evil place.

Never ventured into there myself, but knew of its reputation. A particularly nasty one at that.

haha yeah, The Greyhound was a bit 'Mad Max'. I didn't go in there often, just briefly when I was dating some girl from Chadwell. I remember someone (post-smoking ban) smoking a spliff inside. Lady behind the bar didn't chuck them out, just told them to go out the front and come back in when they finished it. My kind of pub!

Yep that’s The Greyhound haha, the drugs rules were revolutionary. You could sniff up as much snow as you wanted outside, as long as you didn’t do it in the bogs. Smoking - of any kind - was only allowed during lock-ins.

I could tell some stories about that place, but most of them wouldn’t be believed anyway.

Golden Lion in Romford or Kings Head in Stratford. Nags Head or Purple Turtle in Islington. Camden Lock Tavern in Camden. The drinking holes of my late teen and 20s. All sadly missed.

The Mermaid along the seafront. I think the police only let it stay open so they would know where all the villians were.

The Oakwood in Eastwood used to be pretty lively back in the day.

The Weir was very touchy long before the arrival of Premier Inn as was The Spread Eagle in Rayleigh, another 'pick a window, you're leaving' sort of place.

The Mermaid along the seafront. I think the police only let it stay open so they would know where all the villians were.

The Oakwood in Eastwood used to be pretty lively back in the day.

The Weir was very touchy long before the arrival of Premier Inn as was The Spread Eagle in Rayleigh, another 'pick a window, you're leaving' sort of place.

The Oakwood is still full of Essex geezers but seems alright when I go there after visiting my Mum

Seven Stars in Falmouth is a great place - all sorts of bods and mostly friendly - one of my locals - the draught Bass is marvellous

Seven Stars in Falmouth is a great place - all sorts of bods and mostly friendly - one of my locals - the draught Bass is marvellous

I heard a great story about The Seven Stars. A Dutch Navy ship docked in Falmouth and the crew swarmed in to town for a night out. A load of them got in the SS and asked what the locals all drank. Some smart arse told them the favorite tipple was pints of Gold Label, a particually evil barley wine. Apparently, it took about 2 hours before the entire ships company were sprawled all around town, past out in gutters and hanging over fences throwing their guts up everywhere.

Cornish humor at its best that night ?

I heard a great story about The Seven Stars. A Dutch Navy ship docked in Falmouth and the crew swarmed in to town for a night out. A load of them got in the SS and asked what the locals all drank. Some smart arse told them the favorite tipple was pints of Gold Label, a particually evil barley wine. Apparently, it took about 2 hours before the entire ships company were sprawled all around town, past out in gutters and hanging over fences throwing their guts up everywhere.

Cornish humor at its best that night ?

Yes I`ve heard that story as well - so it must be true

Flying Scotsman in Kings Cross is a special kind of pub. The toilet looked like it hadn’t been decorated since the Blitz, which is ironic considering it looks like it was The Blitz that decorated it previously.

And yet, it still wasn’t as grimey as some of the entertainment. Still, what’s a quid between mates.

One of them, If you know, you know, type of establishments.

Mentioned this one before on a pre-match thread - Anchor & Hope in Charlton/Greenwich is a cracking little pub.

Tucked away between a small housing area, and an industrial estate, but has an really good friendly atmosphere, and an excellent beer garden which overlooks the London skyline.

Last edited:
One thing I remember more than anything else about Tilbury was the day a prostitute came into my bank to change some foreign currency she had been given by a client. When she was told that it was in fact worthless- fake confederate dollar bills from chewing gum packets - her fury and language had to be heard to be believed. I took her in my office and gave her a brandy from my drinks cabinet after which she calmed down somewhat.

I used to collect these as a kid. They were nice. You got them with ABC chewing gum. Funny enough, I bet they're worth something now
civil-war-banknotes-c-gum-complete_360_2557468778d2df1941e910ec45bcb9f4-jpg.873842

Kings Head top of Upper St Islington was a great Boozer as was the Archway which is top of Holloway Rd.
My second home for a long while was the Railway Bell in South Woodford - fantastic nights down there but unfortunately Green King took over, ripped the soul out and now it’s full bearded ****s.
I’d also rather suck s*** from a straw than sup their poor poor ale.
Probably drinking in Fitzrovia Friday night, couple of lovely pubs there.
Lord Clyde in Borough is a decent pint.

Kings Head top of Upper St Islington was a great Boozer as was the Archway which is top of Holloway Rd.
My second home for a long while was the Railway Bell in South Woodford - fantastic nights down there but unfortunately Green King took over, ripped the soul out and now it’s full bearded ****s.
I’d also rather suck s*** from a straw than sup their poor poor ale.
Probably drinking in Fitzrovia Friday night, couple of lovely pubs there.
Lord Clyde in Borough is a decent pint.

Went into a pub called The Red Lion near the Archway if I remember rightly back in the day for a wet lunch loads of Irish feel about the place but fine until I was asked to give to the cause I declined and drank up I think it was their way of saying **** off.

Back