• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great read! A Slipper in the making!

Excellent - I would slightly rework the bit about Richie Foran though.
I think I get what you're trying to say in that he spent most of his 2 years as a Southend player, not playing. But to say he never played a single game is far from the mark, obviously he had the loan spells out to Darlo but he did also feature in 30 or so 1st team games.

Excellent - I would slightly rework the bit about Richie Foran though.
I think I get what you're trying to say in that he spent most of his 2 years as a Southend player, not playing. But to say he never played a single game is far from the mark, obviously he had the loan spells out to Darlo but he did also feature in 30 or so 1st team games.

I'm more grasping at the two seasons in League One, this season and last, where he didn't feature, but you're right it could be worded much clearer.

what's the bit about the chelsea, arsenal, fulham preseason money spinning tournament? have i missed something? is this to do with ron's blog the other week when he mentioned about us having a very attractive team to play in preseason next year?

excellent read btw!

what's the bit about the chelsea, arsenal, fulham preseason money spinning tournament? have i missed something? is this to do with ron's blog the other week when he mentioned about us having a very attractive team to play in preseason next year?

excellent read btw!

No, don't think so.
About 2 months ago the club announced Roots Hall would hold a prestigious youth tournament featuring the Academy teams of Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

I am guessing the "glamour" pre-season will be a first team game. Somebody mentioned possibly Villarreal in the Spinner testimonial thread!

its not chelsea were playing in the summer. It is Everton, Fulham, Arsenal and ourselves, all under 18's teams

its not chelsea were playing in the summer. It is Everton, Fulham, Arsenal and ourselves, all under 18's teams

Aye, I picked up on that error when reading through it this morning... I meant to say that all those sides had loaned youngsters to us, followed by Arsenal/Fulham/Everton U18's in the tournament.

Great article.

I do feel you have forgot to mention some of the wonders that the club produced during the so "called dark days". I personally got a great deal of enjoyment from the Yemi Abidoums and the Garry Cross's of this world. The golden generation so to speak.

Great article.

I do feel you have forgot to mention some of the wonders that the club produced during the so "called dark days". I personally got a great deal of enjoyment from the Yemi Abidoums and the Garry Cross's of this world. The golden generation so to speak.

Rest assured, King Yemi will be making an appearance in Part II.

A very good read. I dont mean to be picky but we are not an academy (we are a centre of excellence) and just want to make sure that you change that before you put it in for your assesment.

A really good read though, well done.

The improvements made had an almost instant impact. After a drought of almost a decade since its first academy product, the 2005/06 season saw Southend give academy player James Lawson his debut against Oldham Athletic, and he went on to make 16 appearances that season, scoring three goals.

While the sight of an academy player being given his debut is nothing monumental, it showed the club was making steps in the right direction in respect to it’s youth policy, and the work Ricky Duncan was making ensured there was more to come.

Back