• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Youth system and compensation thread

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
I thought it might be interesting to have a thread to keep track of the former youth products stolen away from us, for whom we are eligible to receive compensation for based on their future success.

Can someone (ESB?) remind us of the criteria and how this system works?

Do we get anything out of deals like this?

We're guaranteed at least something under the EP3 framework, but can also be negotiated outside of that, like it was with Finlay Burns.

Perhaps worth noting that by the end of this season just passed Chay Cooper was playing with the U18s, so clearly highly thought of.

Money or not ,i just hate the fact that these clubs can come along and sign our youngsters ,much rather they played for us .Perhaps another reason we need to win promotion and get our academy upgraded.To stop them so called bigger bigger clubs usurping our young talent .

Money or not ,i just hate the fact that these clubs can come along and sign our youngsters ,much rather they played for us .Perhaps another reason we need to win promotion and get our academy upgraded.To stop them so called bigger bigger clubs usurping our young talent .

We could win back to back promotions and we'd still be a Cat 3 academy until the new facilities are up and running. And even then we'd only be upgraded to Cat 2.

It works both ways though. Dan Bentley and Jack Payne were both products initially of premiership youth academies prior to joining us and we have benefited from their transfer fees. We need to work closely with premiership and championships clubs to ensure we also get the best of the talent that is not going to make it at the highest level (or at least not at that stage of their career).

We are also a far more attractive proposition to promising youth players if they know that we will not stand in their way should bigger opportunities come along.

I'm reading the new Michael Calvin book about youth football and all that.
There's a story about a kid getting taken on by Chelsea and I thought he'd be much better off coming our way. He'd actually get a chance of making it at a club like ours.
The thing at the moment is that we should get relatively bigger up front fees coz the chances of any of these players getting more than a few minutes on the pitch for the club they go to now is tiny. Then what happens to our investment down the line? that's a genuine question - do we get paid if they go to X and appear for X, or if they go to X and appear for Y on loan or later on?

An update:

Defender Finlay Burns (15) is at Man City Youth academy. He joined Man City in 2017 for a reported £175,000, a transfer record for a 13 year old.

Midfielder Chay Cooper (17) is in Spurs' u18s, having joined in 2017. He apparently went to the Mark Hall Academy which caused some alarm bells, but I think it is a school rather than the 90s winger's masterclasses.

Midfielder Keith Asare (17) is in Forest's u18s, having joined Forest in 2015. Dortmund and Monaco were sniffing around him last season.

Midfielder Kian Flanagan (19) is a regular in Crystal Palace's u23s and getting some rave reviews. He joined Palace circa 2013 for £37,500.

Right-back Jordan Gabriel (20) is in Forest's u23s, having joined in 2015.

Midfielder Glen Kamara (23), who joined Arsenal in 2012. Has played 10 times for Dundee this season and scored for Finland.

Right-back Dominic Iorfa Jr (23) has played 2 Checkatrade matches for Wolves this season, alongside centre-back Cameron John (19), who joined Wolves in 2015.

Winger Lyle Della Verde (23), who went to Fulham in 2011, is now at Braintree.

Midfielder Femi Orenuga (25), who went to Everton is now without a club.
Midfielder Medi Abalimba (26), who went to Derby in 2009 (and jail in 2014) is now without a club.
Forward Michael Ngoo (26), who went to Liverpool in 2009 is now playing in Tirana.

I remember speaking to Ricky Duncan about 18 months ago and he said there had been around 22? players from the academy that had gone on to play at professional level

I remember speaking to Ricky Duncan about 18 months ago and he said there had been around 22? players from the academy that had gone on to play at professional level

Yes if anybody knows of any others who were poached away be sure to add them.

An update:

Defender Finlay Burns (15) is at Man City Youth academy. He joined Man City in 2017 for a reported £175,000, a transfer record for a 13 year old.

Midfielder Chay Cooper (17) is in Spurs' u18s, having joined in 2017. He apparently went to the Mark Hall Academy which caused some alarm bells, but I think it is a school rather than the 90s winger's masterclasses.

Midfielder Keith Asare (17) is in Forest's u18s, having joined Forest in 2015. Dortmund and Monaco were sniffing around him last season.

Midfielder Kian Flanagan (19) is a regular in Crystal Palace's u23s and getting some rave reviews. He joined Palace circa 2013 for £37,500.

Right-back Jordan Gabriel (20) is in Forest's u23s, having joined in 2015.

Midfielder Glen Kamara (23), who joined Arsenal in 2012. Has played 10 times for Dundee this season and scored for Finland.

Right-back Dominic Iorfa Jr (23) has played 2 Checkatrade matches for Wolves this season, alongside centre-back Cameron John (19), who joined Wolves in 2015.

Winger Lyle Della Verde (23), who went to Fulham in 2011, is now at Braintree.

Midfielder Femi Orenuga (25), who went to Everton is now without a club.
Midfielder Medi Abalimba (26), who went to Derby in 2009 (and jail in 2014) is now without a club.
Forward Michael Ngoo (26), who went to Liverpool in 2009 is now playing in Tirana.
Steffi Mavididi 21 went to arsenal 2009 now at Juventus b went for around £18000

Steffi Mavididi 21 went to arsenal 2009 now at Juventus b went for around £18000

Thank you, not least because a search for him showed up this very helpful article from 2012 on the club website.

This adds the following names:

Forward Stephy Mavididi (20), left for Arsenal 2009. Joined Juventus for £1.8m in August and has played 14 times for Juventus B in Serie C-A this season.
Defender/defensive midfielder Isaac Hayden (23), left for Arsenal in 2008. He's played 4 Premiership matches for Newcastle this season.
Jayden Owden, to Arsenal (can't find any details so I think we can assume he's no longer in football).

The EPPP has set guidelines for compensation based on what age the player joined his original club and what category academy they are. X amount per year for each relevant category year he was registered....once the player reaches scholar he is deemed a professional footballer and compensation is then taken away from the regulated setamounts and calculated on his value in relation to age, experience, potential and how long he had been at the club. This also applies to any player out of contract under the age of 24. For example the “Bosman“ rule doesn’t apply for u24 as the club he is leaving despite being out of contract will be die development compensation....

Back