• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Youth system and compensation thread

The EPPP has set guidelines for compensation based on what age the player joined his original club and what category academy they are. X amount per year for each relevant category year he was registered....once the player reaches scholar he is deemed a professional footballer and compensation is then taken away from the regulated setamounts and calculated on his value in relation to age, experience, potential and how long he had been at the club. This also applies to any player out of contract under the age of 24. For example the “Bosman“ rule doesn’t apply for u24 as the club he is leaving despite being out of contract will be die development compensation....

Although the EPPP has set guidelines to ensure that clubs are compensated depending on their status and the amount of time spent developing the players, it doesn’t prevent large sums being paid if there is a ‘bidding war’ between big clubs, such as what happened in the case of Finlay Burns.

It does now. If the player is a schoolboy the EPPP payment / compensation is very rigid

Just for information to different coaching hours allowed for the categoried academies
E7E3A3F7-013A-409A-9257-8C6E7B1D427A.png

So player A at Southend United aged 9 and at u15s Tottenham think he’s a super talent they can take him for a pre determined fee of :-

9/10/11 - 3 years at £3000 per year
12/13/14/15 - 4 years at £12,500 per year

Total compensation £59,000 end of

It does now. If the player is a schoolboy the EPPP payment / compensation is very rigid

It simply doesn’t.

Finley Burns spent 3 seasons with us between U9s and U11s, and then 2 seasons between U12s and U16s. Under EPPP regulations we were entitled to £3,000 per season for the first 3 seasons and £12,500 for the next 2, totalling £34,000. Manchester City paid £175,000 (possibly rising to £250,000 depending on other factors) because they wanted to sign him ahead of other Premier League clubs such as Liverpool and Arsenal.

The £34,000 - in this instance - is the minimum we can receive.

By comparison Tottenham take the same player from Arsenal and the compensation is :-

12/13/14/15 - 4 years at £40,000 per year

Total compensation £169,000

It simply doesn’t.

Finley Burns spent 3 seasons with us between U9s and U11s, and then 2 seasons between U12s and U16s. Under EPPP regulations we were entitled to £3,000 per season for the first 3 seasons and £12,500 for the next 2, totalling £34,000. Manchester City paid £175,000 (possibly rising to £250,000 depending on other factors) because they wanted to sign him ahead of other Premier League clubs such as Liverpool and Arsenal.

The £34,000 - in this instance - is the minimum we can receive.

Ok just re read your post properly from above......yes that makes sense - Obviously if other clubs enter a bidding war that’s different.....clubs can pay over the odds to secure the player but are entitled to only offer the minimum and the selling club cannot bargain

When was this with Finlay Burns ?

Ok just re read your post properly from above......yes that makes sense - Obviously if other clubs enter a bidding war that’s different.....clubs can pay over the odds to secure the player but are entitled to only offer the minimum and the selling club cannot bargain

When was this with Finlay Burns ?

Finley Burns joined Manchester City in January 2017.

Interesting thread, I didn't know we had sold a 13 year old for that much money or at least if I did I had forgot.

So player A at Southend United aged 9 and at u15s Tottenham think he’s a super talent they can take him for a pre determined fee of :-

12/13/14/15 - 4 years at £12,500 per year

Total compensation £59,000 end of
By comparison Tottenham take the same player from Arsenal and the compensation is :-

12/13/14/15 - 4 years at £40,000 per year

Total compensation £169,000

I know Ron is keen for us to become a Category 2 Academy. What additional costs would be involved (I know there are minimum standards for Category 3 but I believe we will exceed them already)?

It sounds like it might actually be financially beneficial to be the higher category.

I’m not entirely sure without looking it up, but it will mainly hinge on cost not quality. Facilities wise to be cat 2 I don’t thonk you need indoor or a 4g on site but possibly need access to both?

The main thing would be staff levels to accommodate the increased coaching hours and the increased admin demands....for coaches and office staff!

It's quite sad reading some of these fees being a few thousand when it's* worth so much more to see them out on that pitch... Just because you're at a big club doesn't automatically mean you have the best chance.

Last edited:
The lower league clubs were railroaded into it by the big boys by being almost bribed by the Tv money they pay down the leagues...in return for that payout the lower league clubs (bar one or two) had little or no choice but to accept the low levels of compensation...

It was a fix up as usual to suit the glamour clubs who felt this way they could cherry pick the best talent and get it on the cheap whilst offering a pittance of the TV money they receive down the food chain.....

Unfortunately these clubs have such unbelievable facilities and equipment and can offer glamorous games programmes and summer tournaments that most of not all parents heads will be turned without a second thought of the pathway these clubs CANT offer....

Take Mr Kelman for example....if the rumours are true about cat 1 clubs and he takes a walk round one of their training grounds Southend can kiss goodbye! He won’t want to come back!!!

However my opinion is one of two things is happening.....a) he’s getting on the bench because we don’t want to lose him and want to show him a pathway and how close he is to it....or b) we are trying to hike the price up for anyone having to pay the development compensation due to an u24 full time player and are gonna cash in....

Very difficult for parents and players when a bright light shines in your eyes....

Thank you, not least because a search for him showed up this very helpful article from 2012 on the club website.

This adds the following names:

Forward Stephy Mavididi (20), left for Arsenal 2009. Joined Juventus for £1.8m in August and has played 14 times for Juventus B in Serie C-A this season.
Defender/defensive midfielder Isaac Hayden (23), left for Arsenal in 2008. He's played 4 Premiership matches for Newcastle this season.
Jayden Owden, to Arsenal (can't find any details so I think we can assume he's no longer in football).
There is definitely an ex acaden
Finley Burns joined Manchester City in January 2017.
Heard Finlay gota 3 year pro contract yesterday at Man city ..That is a brilliant achievement,

I know Ron is keen for us to become a Category 2 Academy. What additional costs would be involved (I know there are minimum standards for Category 3 but I believe we will exceed them already)?

It sounds like it might actually be financially beneficial to be the higher category.

Ron said the academy costs about £400,000 per year. A category 1 academy rises to at least £1.5m per year.

I’m not entirely sure without looking it up, but it will mainly hinge on cost not quality. Facilities wise to be cat 2 I don’t thonk you need indoor or a 4g on site but possibly need access to both?

The main thing would be staff levels to accommodate the increased coaching hours and the increased admin demands....for coaches and office staff!

The reason Ron bought the Domes was to upgrade the academy level with indoor football......When we finally move to FF of course.

Back