• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Interesting - and encouraging - to see Miles Mitchell-Nelson and Lewis Gard on the bench. I believe Mitchell-Nelson is a centre-half and Gard a midfielder.

This is an important time of the year for the youngsters with contract decisions being made and I expect this means these two will be/have been offered contracts.

Mitchell-Nelson has been playing for the u18s (as recently as Saturday) but has been promoted a few times to the u23s.

He seems to have leap-frogged over three defenders in the process - Dan Matsuzaka, Sonny Coutts and Taylor Curran. Curran may well have done himself out of a place on the bench by getting sent off, but this may not be a good sign for Matsuzaka and Coutts (or they could just be injured!).

Lewis Gard was on loan at Aveley earlier this season. He made 12 appearances for them scoring once and with two assists.

Likewise his appearance on the bench may be bad news for Michael Klass and Joe Bedford, who he seems to have jumped over.

The youngsters we've got contracted (ignoring Yearwood and Bwomono who are now established in the first team squad) are

Ted Smith - 2018
Nathan Bishop - 2019
Josh Bexon - 2018 (option until 2019)

Dan Matsuzaka - 2018
Sonny Coutts - 2018 (option until 2019)
Taylor Curran - 2020

Joe Bedford - 2018 (option until 2019)
Nico Cotton - 2018
Michael Klass - 2018
Renei Batlokwa - 2018 (option until 2019)
Harry Phillips - 2018 (option until 2019)

Amadou Ba - 2019 (option until 2020)
Norman Wabo - 2018 (option until 2019)

We seem to keep players on for longer so I expect it isn't the end for most of those out of contract.

Dan Matsuzaka and Sonny Coutts have recently returned to U23s action following injuries; likewise Joe Bedford has missed much of the season. Michael Klass is currently injured, so that goes part of the way to explaining the situation.

Miles Mitchell-Nelson has been extremely impressive for the U18s this season and has featured in most U23s squads. He is only a first-year scholar and was signed a year ago after impressing on trial from non-league Ryan FC.

Lewis Gard was warming up with the squad at Roots Hall on Saturday. Like youth-teamer Sewa Marah, he has benefitted from loan spell at Aveley in the Isthmian League. We've made a lot more use of the loan system this season, which is a positive.

8 of the 18 man squad tonight were in our youth system at some point, that’s impressive.

Hats off to Ricky Duncan and everyone involved in the youth team. It just keeps on producing.

Those are the threads that make me so happy to read about how well our youth system is doing and producing young players that are capable , Hats off to RIcky Duncan and his team.The more youths coming through and being able to hold their own in the first team ,the less money we ( the club ) need to spend of buying recruits .They are the future .:happy::Worthy:

Lewis Gard has been at the club since he was 7 years old:thumbsup:

Who was the last player to have played for the first XI who had been at the club since that age?

(Rob's now going to point out it was probably Jack Bridge's annual sub appearance earlier this season)

Lewis Gard has been at the club since he was 7 years old:thumbsup:

Who was the last player to have played for the first XI who had been at the club since that age?

(Rob's now going to point out it was probably Jack Bridge's annual sub appearance earlier this season)

Jack Bridge joined us at U10s after a season at Leigh Ramblers. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone that has been with the club in the Academy as long as Lewis Gard has and gone on to make their first-team debut, although Harry Phillips, Joe Bedford and Sonny Coutts are all comparable and have all been involved in the first-team squad.

Unless they're out on loan or injured it's kind of strange that when have defenders like Coutts and Curran who have signed pro contracts yet last night Mitchell-Nelson is picked ahead of them. Likewise with Bedford and Phillips to Gard.

Unless they're out on loan or injured it's kind of strange that when have defenders like Coutts and Curran who have signed pro contracts yet last night Mitchell-Nelson is picked ahead of them. Likewise with Bedford and Phillips to Gard.
Maybe as was explained some have been injured ,but i see no problem who is picked ahead of who,im just happy that SCP is willing to give our kids a run,im sure all the youths would be delighted also ,to know that if they willing to put in the hard yards that they will eventually be given an opportunity .

Of course, we all like to win every game, but considering we can't go up or down now, I would like to see the youth team given a proper run out in the last 2 league games to see who has potential at league one level. I wouldn't mind a draw in each of the last 2 matches, if it gains us an insight of who to keep / who to get rid of / who to loan out for next season.

Maybe as was explained some have been injured ,but i see no problem who is picked ahead of who,im just happy that SCP is willing to give our kids a run,im sure all the youths would be delighted also ,to know that if they willing to put in the hard yards that they will eventually be given an opportunity .

I see no problem also, and in truth hoped they got some minutes at 3-0. I just find it odd when there's players in the U23's that have impressed enough in the U18's to get their pro deal and see if they are ready to make the next step from U23's to first team. Maybe these simply have more potential.

I got chatting to Lewis + his Dad whilst walking to a Blues match earlier in the season. Really nice guys + they love Southend Utd - Lewis was on loan at Aveley at the time and enjoying it but was hoping to come back and get involved in our 1st team + his younger brother is also at Blues . Lewis came across as a decent lad who would actually listen and learn from coaches and didnt have that arrogant swagger as some do - i wish him well.
:thumbsup:UTB

Those signed as a pro only have a short time to impress, if not the next generation will take their place. Some will be released this summer but that the nature of the professional game.

What I don't agree with is the restrictions clubs put on 8 year old kids. No playing Sunday morning with your mates or allowed pizza at a kids party etc. For the 19 out of 20 that won't get anywhere near pro football that restricts their personal development.

What I don't agree with is the restrictions clubs put on 8 year old kids. No playing Sunday morning with your mates or allowed pizza at a kids party etc. For the 19 out of 20 that won't get anywhere near pro football that restricts their personal development.

His lack of talent makes it unlikely anyway, but I'd hate to put my son through that sort of experience. Football should all be about fun at that age (and for several years beyond).

Those signed as a pro only have a short time to impress, if not the next generation will take their place. Some will be released this summer but that the nature of the professional game.

All aspiring young players should avoid pizza.
Take the example of seasoned pro Cesc Fabregas and throw it away if offered any !

Back