• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Theo Robinson frustrated to return to Southend United before heading back to Colchester United on loan

Evening Echo

The News
THEO Robinson has revealed how Blues boss Sol Campbell tried to sign him for Macclesfield Town in the summer.

More...

Interesting comments on his attitude during his 3 days of training here. Seems his positive mood didn't reflect that of the camp

Interesting comments on his attitude during his 3 days of training here. Seems his positive mood didn't reflect that of the camp

He's talking about negative mood during 3 days back at Southend, and his high spirits at Colchester. I don't know what he's complaining about, he's contracted to Southend. The Chairman of both clubs had to agree a deal for him to remain at Colchester.

He's talking about negative mood during 3 days back at Southend, and his high spirits at Colchester. I don't know what he's complaining about, he's contracted to Southend. The Chairman of both clubs had to agree a deal for him to remain at Colchester.
Exactly, think that says more about him than anyone else. If Sol wanted him at macclesfield then maybe if he had shown a better attitude in the 3 days he was back rather than having a mood swing he may have been told we want you here. More likely now Sol is thinking I dodged a bullet there

Agree with W Dgs, Sol wanted to get a bit more knowledge on Theo AND our squad, without prejudice AND didn't think it was a good fit.

Maybe Theo sums it up - "I don't want to be there!" And in current circumstances, would you?

By all accounts Theo is a nice bloke. It all seems to fit into a picture of a depressed and depressing, even toxic set up at Southend compared with a more buoyant atmosphere at Colchester. Partly this is due to our respective situations of course, but it also supports the idea that there is something rotten in the state of SUFC.....

Maybe Theo sums it up - "I don't want to be there!" And in current circumstances, would you?

Absolutely. I don't think we can blame Theo at all for wanting to be where he is happy. But he has to understand, Southend are in a bad way financially. So Ron Martin has to get a good deal before letting him go back to Colchester. Getting him back here probably sharpened the mind of the Colchester Chairman. And it worked, and the deal was done.

He was technically limited but he always put the effort in on the pitch (unlike quite a few others) yet he got far more hate from some in the stands than players that were much lazier than him. I can't blame him for not wanting to be here.

Absolutely. I don't think we can blame Theo at all for wanting to be where he is happy. But he has to understand, Southend are in a bad way financially. So Ron Martin has to get a good deal before letting him go back to Colchester. Getting him back here probably sharpened the mind of the Colchester Chairman. And it worked, and the deal was done.

Thats exactly what I was thinking and I guess Theo knows that as well.

By all accounts Theo is a nice bloke. It all seems to fit into a picture of a depressed and depressing, even toxic set up at Southend compared with a more buoyant atmosphere at Colchester. Partly this is due to our respective situations of course, but it also supports the idea that there is something rotten in the state of SUFC.....

If you really want to interpret it as meaning a negative comment about the atmosphere at Southend you can and will- but actually I think he is saying no more than he wants to be at Col U where he has been playing regularly and was disappointed there was some uncertainty and he had to come back. As others have correctly pointed out him having to come back was a natural consequence of both clubs holding out for a deal that suited both parties. No more than that.

sol may have been interested when he was at a small, struggling L2 club but does not follow that he remains interested when at a larger, struggling L1 club.

Nothing to see here...please move on as they say

I think you've got that spot on - Ron was playing poker with a limited hand as Theo couldn't play for a third club this season, so the only hand he could play was bring him back to put pressure on agreeing a deal. Keeping him at Southend last weekend and making him miss Col Ewe's game showed he was serious and presumably Theo and his agent were also in the ear of Cowling to get the deal done too. Well played Ron!

I don't agree, I think Theo is just saying what the fans at the club he's at want to hear. If the deal had not been agreed and Theo had stayed with us for the rest of the season I would fully expect him to say "It was good to get some game time at Colchester, but Southend is my club and it's great to be back with the lads....".

Interviews with footballers are generally pretty banal and meaningless IMHO!

Thats exactly what I was thinking and I guess Theo knows that as well.

I think it was more the case that we put Theo on the back burner and started following up enquiries for other strikers to replace him on a permanent basis. Ron would have been stuck with paying his wages until the contract ran down and Robbie C new it! Anyway it is sorted now, if he does well I think we might offer him a permanent deal in the Summer, but even if we don't he will have put himself in the shop window for other clubs to see what he can do.

I think it was more the case that we put Theo on the back burner and started following up enquiries for other strikers to replace him on a permanent basis. Ron would have been stuck with paying his wages until the contract ran down and Robbie C new it! Anyway it is sorted now, if he does well I think we might offer him a permanent deal in the Summer, but even if we don't he will have put himself in the shop window for other clubs to see what he can do.

We are going down and have nothing to lose but you have a chance of promotion.... My money is on Robbie C blinking first.

We are going down and have nothing to lose but you have a chance of promotion.... My money is on Robbie C blinking first.

Although we are in the frame and have lost very few this season, we are drawing far too many, the way things are going we could miss out altogether! We create so many chances but often fail to finish them, we have a very quick team but inconsistent strikers, Theo should fit in well!

I said about a month or so ago, that too much water had gone under the bridge for Theo to return.

He simply didn’t want to be here anymore, hence why he jumped at the chance of loans last season, and this season.

Blame it on a lack of opportunities, lack of support from the fans or for being castigated by senior players within the squad.

I’d say it’s probably a combination of all three.

Either way, Theo is still that player who would struggle to trap a bag of sand, and take ten opportunities to score once.

In a parallel universe, we’d probably be singing his praises, but in this life, he’s better off where he is, and we’re better off without him.

You are very wrong on this one - Ron wanted Col U to buy him - Cowling refused and said he wanted to keep him on loan, Theo was recalled to Southend to try and force the issue but he has ended up signing on the basis Cowling wanted.

Theo clearly didn't want to be there, no idea how Sol and he felt about each other but it's very predictable you are trying to paint this as a Ron success (just how are you related to him?) when the outcome is he is out on loan until expiry of his contract

Last edited:
Back