• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Theo Robinson

Thanks Pubey, I'll relay that info next time some of our doom mongers have a go at him. He'd run 20 yards before Andy Booth had even got off the spot!

he had a 1 in 3 record for us, and his strike partner also had a 1 in 3 record too so don't let people try to kid you that he was greedy or wasteful. Coincidentally he'll work well with Clarke because he'll latch onto direct balls played from the back

I should probably tell you this after we've played you really!!

he had a 1 in 3 record for us, and his strike partner also had a 1 in 3 record too so don't let people try to kid you that he was greedy or wasteful. Coincidentally he'll work well with Clarke because he'll latch onto direct balls played from the back

LoL:) Made me laugh, but unfortunately I don't have even the remotest influence upon team selection or tactics. Hard times though and I could use another job!!

he's a natural goalscorer, and worked well with Barney. I said at the time we should have made a decent offer for him, because in time he'll become a top player... and even now he'll score at least 15-20 goals in L1

Erm...a natural goalscorer? To be considered a NATURAL goalscorer his finishing would definitely need to be of a higher standard than it is.

Erm...a natural goalscorer? To be considered a NATURAL goalscorer his finishing would definitely need to be of a higher standard than it is.

even so, he still finds the back of the net on a regular basis... he's a work in progress and needs to develop, but even so in half a season he showed he can score consistently

Theo misses many chances, and probably converts 1 in 6 chances or so, but we created so much more with him in the team that it didnt matter.

Why not? It was very apparent to me how many more goals the team could have scored if Theo would've passed the ball. I lost count of the amount of times he left other players in space screaming at him for a pass.

That said, he had the pace to stretch a defence, something no-one else had.

If he's playing week in week out Theo can easily push for 20+ this season. I don't think we will miss him too much as all of our strikers are capable of scoring the goals, the only difference with Theo was, He stayed fit.

Do you think any of our remaining strikers can get 20+ this season ?, because I don't.
Theo was different class, and will get better and better. That transfer fee will look a snip within 2 seasons.

Do you think any of our remaining strikers can get 20+ this season ?, because I don't.
Theo was different class, and will get better and better. That transfer fee will look a snip within 2 seasons.

I think Barnard could get you 20 goals a season IF he was fit for the season but we know how unlikely that is. Barnard is a better finisher than Robinson in my opinion, but Robinson will probably go further because of that pace he has.

I thought Theo was brilliant for us, he was very greedy, and his finishing was a little hit and miss, but he still scored more goals than any of our other forwards, bar Barnard, in less time and you can't knock that.

I really wish people would think about how strong Barney was in the final part of last season - he was continuously getting battered and never took any injuries. I'm hopeful that he's going to have a much better season this year, if he's been working on core strength then it looks to have made an improvement and I do firmly believe he can be a 20 goal man.

I really wish people would think about how strong Barney was in the final part of last season - he was continuously getting battered and never took any injuries. I'm hopeful that he's going to have a much better season this year, if he's been working on core strength then it looks to have made an improvement and I do firmly believe he can be a 20 goal man.

most of his injuries seemed to occur on the training ground, or around waitrose, or when doing the ironing, or when asleep.

still, i hope that with a decent end of the season and a full pre-season, he could overcome his reputation for being made of china and if fully fit he is definitely a 20-a-season man... but only with a fast player alongside him. Revs or Dougie aren't the correct foil for him, IMO

What a good investment we missed out on. Will be worth £1+million by end of season!

If we had signed him it prob would of been the difference to of turned all those draws to wins

What a good investment we missed out on. Will be worth £1+million by end of season!

If we had signed him it prob would of been the difference to of turned all those draws to wins

Definitely provided the pace up front we're currently lacking, but he and Barney didn't seem entirely on the same wavelength. The £275k price tag was also a fair chunk of the money we've got to find for the IR by October, so it was always a non-starter unfortunately...

Definitely provided the pace up front we're currently lacking, but he and Barney didn't seem entirely on the same wavelength. The £275k price tag was also a fair chunk of the money we've got to find for the IR by October, so it was always a non-starter unfortunately...

that's rubbish, both of them were scoring tons when playing together. i think someone dug out the stats to prove it, i'll try to find them.

sorry if i sounded a bit grouchy!

No worries, matey - your argument/stats kind of settled it! :)
I was just going by an impression of their link-up play, or lack of it, towards the end of last season - I felt that Theo was very much his own man and that Barney got frustrated by his lack of awareness of the bigger picture at times. Theo was great for us, make no mistake - it's just that he seemed a bit one-dimensional. However, we could certainly do with that dimension, ie pace, currently...

No worries, matey - your argument/stats kind of settled it! :)
I was just going by an impression of their link-up play, or lack of it, towards the end of last season - I felt that Theo was very much his own man and that Barney got frustrated by his lack of awareness of the bigger picture at times. Theo was great for us, make no mistake - it's just that he seemed a bit one-dimensional. However, we could certainly do with that dimension, ie pace, currently...

indeed, i think a few people observed that but in the end we were winning games and making lots of chances. Of course there were times when he should have passed instead of shoot, but we can say that about lots of players/ex-players, not just Robinson, he was confident and rightly so. Barny was getting chances and scoring too, so i think it was a fruitful partnership, they both mentioned on the OS that they enjoyed playing alongside each other.

Robinson stretched defences and ran behind players and down the channel, we got a lot of success from Clarkey's long balls being played in between the full back and centre-back (it seems Hudersfield are getting joy from this tactic too). I'm not necessarily against having a Revell/Freedman/Barnard style frontline, but it means we require a lot more creativity from our midfield, which we currently haven't got. it also means that we need a could of our midfielders to play further up and support the strikers in the buildup play and to receive their knockdowns in and around the box.

£275k is already looking like a snip for Robinson

indeed, i think a few people observed that but in the end we were winning games and making lots of chances. Of course there were times when he should have passed instead of shoot, but we can say that about lots of players/ex-players, not just Robinson, he was confident and rightly so. Barny was getting chances and scoring too, so i think it was a fruitful partnership, they both mentioned on the OS that they enjoyed playing alongside each other.

Robinson stretched defences and ran behind players and down the channel, we got a lot of success from Clarkey's long balls being played in between the full back and centre-back (it seems Hudersfield are getting joy from this tactic too). I'm not necessarily against having a Revell/Freedman/Barnard style frontline, but it means we require a lot more creativity from our midfield, which we currently haven't got. it also means that we need a could of our midfielders to play further up and support the strikers in the buildup play and to receive their knockdowns in and around the box.

£275k is already looking like a snip for Robinson

...and I wish we could have afforded him too, but looks like Uncle Ron's got to find nearly three times that to keep the wolves from the door by October. Just musing on your point about midfield support for our strikers - Moose's goal on Tuesday was exactly as you've described, his being in the right place at the right time to volley Revell's knock-down velly well I thought...

Back