• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yea its true Mike, we've had crappy starts to succesful seasons before - its just amazing how quick some 'fans' will turn on the 'club they love'

He has actually done ok and surprised most that have seen him (have you seen him play yet? Genuine question as I don't know if you are based in Glasgow or now??). Lots of 'he is actually better than I expected' after the first few games. Now one off game and people are slagging him off.

Saw the first game v Stockport and commented on it afterwards.
As far as my analysis of BS went from the 15/20 minutes he played, yes he scored our goal but other than that I felt he was at least one (if not 2) yard(s) off the pace, kept misplacing passes and fell over the ball somewhat embarrassingly in the south-west corner. Some people on here disagree but then again that's usually those who like to take a cause on whilst others agreed with every word. As I said last week again when the BS issue came up, OK he's doing (before yesterday) better than expected, but he will NOT score 20 goals in a Southend shirt let alone in a season, mark my words.

Interesting how you only honed in on my BS criticism. He wasn't the only "concerns" I had on Black Sunday when Tilson was cast aside and the rumours of Strurrock senior being brought in started, as I alluded to earlier...

Yea its true Mike, we've had crappy starts to succesful seasons before - its just amazing how quick some 'fans' will turn on the 'club they love'

Sorry, but from a selfish personal perspective I'd be happy for our slump to snowball, if only to be able to prove how I right I was expressing such strong concerns throughout the summer, especially after the way RM successfully managed to firefight the anger and hatred of Tilson's exit. 24 hours later everything was rosy in the garden again for 95% of our support, which to me was and still is utterly wrong.

Last edited:

2004-5 ....... 22nd after 3 games.

Then promoted. We've just got to find the next Freddie Eastwood.

Sorry, but from a selfish personal perspective I'd be happy for our slump to snowball, if only to be able to prove how I right I was expressing such strong concerns throughout the summer, especially after the way RM successfully managed to firefight the anger and hatred of Tilson's exit. 24 hours later everything was rosy in the garden again for 95% of our support, which to me was and still is utterly wrong.

Probably one of the more outrageous posts I've seen on here in a while.

How far would you like our slump to be ? If you want the club to fold just to prove you right I am astounded.

Didnt go to the game yesterday but Im firmly in the camp of giving Luggy and the players time to gel and get playing the way he wants to. I do have my criticisms, mainly the signings of Corr and BS when we already had Pato and Screech, 2 similar players. Wouldve been looking for some pace and someone to work the channels. The rest of the signings I thought were fine, considering the circumstances. Luggy bascially had to assemble a playing squad from scratch in little more than a month. I think he did wonders and I think him and Tommy are both very bright, honest and realistic men who know the task ahead. This year is all about staying in the division, and hopefully getting FF finally off the ground.
I saw enough in the Stockport and Bristol City games to suggest we will be ok this season but Luggy must decide on the formation and also his best strike partnership. I hope he can get someone in before the window because out current set of strikers will not get more than 20 in total in my opinion. I like the look of Hall, Clohessy and Bilel and the keeper has been excellent. I think Simpson deserves a run as he sounds liek the most creative midfielder we have. Perhaps it might be worth giving the lad Merrick-Lewis a couple of games also as Sores and Zabooub have been disappointing out wide. I feel the best is yet to come from Easton as he came with ringing praise from previous clubs he has been at.
We have some tough games coming up but I feel yesterday we probably lost to one of the best teams in the division. Until Luggy works out his best team and formation we will continue to find it difficult but there are 46 games in this season not 4 so we need to keep the faith.

That's quite an appalling confession to make Glasgow and the fact that you thought 95% of people thought everything was rosy is only your perception. If you want the club to fail just so you can say "I told you so" that is an amazingly self centred and unsupportive viewpoint. You simply cannot be that much of a fan if that really is your true belief.

It is far from rosy in the garden although overnight we all of a sudden had something to possibly be optimistic about!

And to be fair, it's only the doommongers that accuse some of thinking everything is rosy. I can't remember one post that defends Ron and says that everything he has done is right and proper.

Last edited:
How far would you like our slump to be ? If you want the club to fold just to prove you right I am astounded.
To be honest I'm not that surprised. I love Shrimperzone but judging on what I read on occasions there appears to be a fair few self-righteous posters on here who genuinely seem to want us to fail for the sake of their own cyber-egos, and it depresses the hell out of me sometimes.

it might be the third game, but for some people it ill be there last.

If there are so called "supporters" out there that are prepared to give up 3 games into a totally new regime in a new league with a new squad then the best place for them to be is somewhere else. Good riddance is what I say.

No doubt they'll be back if we get a big cup game or fight our way back up the league though.

I think that is the most pathetic thing I've ever read on here. Dear me.

Originally Posted by GlasgowSUFC

For you to want Southend to fail big time for your own gratification sickens me and shows me that you are no true fan of Southend United. For you to be a true fan, you support the club thru thick and thin, always wanting to win.

To be honest, I'm pretty uninspired and disappointed with the team PS has brought in. From what I have seen so far, the team that has been assembled is pretty much made up of all the players no other club in the league are interested in, plus his son (who shinned it in on his debut, and we had a thread the next day drawing comparisons to Freddy and Stanley). The players just dont look any good, and you can tell me about teams needing to "gel" as much as you like, the players need to possess ability as well.

The most disappointing part is that Paul Sturrock actually said when he joined that he wanted to build a team up of players that could see us through League Two AND League One.....I am seeing a motley crue of players that might just about merit mid-table in the conference....Is this another example of RM not investing a bean into the team through his blinikered stadium plan (which now seems a ridiculous pipedream), and therefore giving PS no money to attract anyone with any ability....Or is it PS poorly judging player potential, and we're stuck with 20 donkeys all on a wage?

Very disappointed we didn't snatch McLeod....That was someone worth getting excited about.

I weep for the club I love.

If there are so called "supporters" out there that are prepared to give up 3 games into a totally new regime in a new league with a new squad then the best place for them to be is somewhere else. Good riddance is what I say.

No doubt they'll be back if we get a big cup game or fight our way back up the league though.

thats the way its always been for us tho, 3000 max core support through thick and thin, I had genuinely hoped that our succesful tilson era had increased that to 5 or 6, and last season it was still around that, league 2 and a new team have bought that back down to where we were 10 years ago, its the hardcore support for our catchment area, and you could argue the main reason why without a sugar daddy we will always be where we are right now. once in every decade stumbling across a lucky formula and set of players that click and send us up. the difference this time is that roots hall is sold. when we were on the up a new stadium genuinely seemed a risky yet viable option, hosting teams that had a large away following, you only have to look at how much of a ghost town the middlesborough ground was today to see that theres a natural order in football, and sure, weve come back to div 4 with a thump, but our history proves thats where we belong, I can deal with that cos thats the way it always has been, we should feel lucky that we've had so much success, i mean beating man u at home? unbeleivable. promotions? cup finals? lets not forget when tilly took over, these were beyond the wildest dreams of any fan, and now where back to where we started.
its just bloody hard at the moment dealing with watching the kind of cack sunday league football from a bunch of strangers that we had on saturday. I dont berudge anyone their over reactions to the current situation. There only over reactions cos we've punched severly above our weight the last 6 years with an ex SUFC legend at the helm. Quite frankly i'd be amazed if people werent upset or over reacting at our current position.
maybe, as in our history, it will take 5 years of the doldrums, a new manager a few lucky signings and we'll be on the up again, as depressing as it is right now, and i hate it, and feel robbed of my club, us hardcore have just got to support so that we stay in the football league. Southend in the blue square? thats truly the end.
i'll always support, but lets face it, its a **** time to be a blues fan.

Last edited:
And this week's wally of the week award goes to.................

Come on people have some perspective, the game against BC was the best performance i've seen at roots hall in 2 years. I honesty believe this squad are better than last years. We do need a striker but think that as long as we don't start getting at the players after 3 league games we'll do ok without signing one. The fact that we've had to forward players on trial last week suggests Sturrock is on the case anyhow.

That said i was quite suprised by the team selection against Port Vale and couldn't understan why Coughlan was brought in to replace phillips. Prosser had a shocker but has been solid in all the other games i've seen him in.

Keep the faith, at least until 10 or fo games in. For those of you that think the sky is going to fall on their heads, what would you change for our next league game?

For you to want Southend to fail big time for your own gratification sickens me and shows me that you are no true fan of Southend United. For you to be a true fan, you support the club thru thick and thin, always wanting to win.

But (& I just chose your post to respond to directly) this is NOT the Southend United I fell in love with, the team that I would support through thick and thin no matter what current crisis the people in charge have presided over.

Things have gone far too far now. This is not what I signed up for. We are now at the beck and call of a self-centred egomaniac who appears to take joy in how he can alienate his customer base but still they come back for more time and time again, no matter how crass the "official statements" put out for public consumption or inept current business decisions taken are.

Oh & this goes out to everybody who has dared to criticise or comment on what I said. I didn't say it to live up to some "cyber-reputation", I didn't say it to satisfy some self-centred viewpoint, I didn't say it as I want MY, no OUR, football club to fold. I said what I said because deep down I do still love Southend United Football Club with all my heart and until the current regime either totally change their approach and admit their failings or get the hell out of Southend then I just don't think things will ever be the same. If you had put any legendary football manager in charge of SUFC under the constraints that Steve Tilson had to work with then people like Clough, Shankly, Paisley, Ferguson, Robson, Mourinho, Wenger et al would have produced similar results. The only reason ST had to go was due to how his relationship with Our Glorious Leader had broken down beyond repair. Just because we now have a manager (putting all personal analysis aside) who the chairman now wants to back does not make it all rosy in the garden. People need to wake up and see this (& by slump I mean say 12 dismal games where we get a Wignall like "passion in the eyes" analysis), not relegation or non-league obscurity or even worse.

Back