• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Saw the first game v Stockport and commented on it afterwards.
As far as my analysis of BS went from the 15/20 minutes he played, yes he scored our goal but other than that I felt he was at least one (if not 2) yard(s) off the pace, kept misplacing passes and fell over the ball somewhat embarrassingly in the south-west corner. Some people on here disagree but then again that's usually those who like to take a cause on whilst others agreed with every word. As I said last week again when the BS issue came up, OK he's doing (before yesterday) better than expected, but he will NOT score 20 goals in a Southend shirt let alone in a season, mark my words.

Interesting how you only honed in on my BS criticism. He wasn't the only "concerns" I had on Black Sunday when Tilson was cast aside and the rumours of Strurrock senior being brought in started, as I alluded to earlier...

Sorry, but from a selfish personal perspective I'd be happy for our slump to snowball, if only to be able to prove how I right I was expressing such strong concerns throughout the summer, especially after the way RM successfully managed to firefight the anger and hatred of Tilson's exit. 24 hours later everything was rosy in the garden again for 95% of our support, which to me was and still is utterly wrong.

Such a tired argument about Blair... It's blatantly obvious from both his career stats and the level of clubs that he has played for, that he wasn't brought in for goals. If anyone was expecting or even hoping he would score 20 goals this season or in 3 years, you are massively deluded and setting him up for a fall.

From not only watching his play, but also listening to him speak, he seems very knowledgeable and intelligent about football and sometimes you need a player with that bit of craft. It didn't work out for him yesterday and I'd be surprised if he starts the next game, but he has got a role in this squad.

Our problems with getting goals desite the new signings is down to service and once luggy sorts out both a system and can integrate hall and zaaboub then I think we will be ok for whoever is up top.

As for your last statement... Absolutely unbelievable, you should be ashamed.

Not sure why he should be ashamed?.I suspect the delivery did not come out as intended but any reasonable minded person can read between the lines and understand the concerns. the team is shocking, no other way to put it really. It reminds me of the dark days of a decade ago when we dodged relegation from the league with the aid of that little bloke, lee hodges from west ham who subsiquently moved to scunny as we couldnt afford him. Until he joined there was no special player who could make someting happen, only journeymen. So i can see the basis for what glasgow is saying and i echo his concern. feels like deja vous for those of us that have been around a while.

But (& I just chose your post to respond to directly) this is NOT the Southend United I fell in love with, the team that I would support through thick and thin no matter what current crisis the people in charge have presided over.
I don't suppose the Rubins were everyone's cup of tea, Anton Johnson nearly killed this club, Vic Jobson rescued it and then it nearly died under his reign and that started the chain of events that led to the current situation. During the time I've supported the team, hundreds of players have come and gone, some better than others... but the club is still the one I support.

Things have gone far too far now. This is not what I signed up for. We are now at the beck and call of a self-centred egomaniac who appears to take joy in how he can alienate his customer base but still they come back for more time and time again, no matter how crass the "official statements" put out for public consumption or inept current business decisions taken are.
Again, that's your perception of events. Not everyone will see it the same as you, but even if they do will not feel the same as you do. That's their prerogative. If they want to continue supporting the club even though it's not what they signed up for, good for them.

Oh & this goes out to everybody who has dared to criticise or comment on what I said. I didn't say it to live up to some "cyber-reputation", I didn't say it to satisfy some self-centred viewpoint, I didn't say it as I want MY, no OUR, football club to fold.

WHIZZZZZZZZZ! That's the sound of furious back pedalling. You did mate, you most certainly did say it for your "...own selfish personal perspective if only to be able to prove how I right I was..." and that is a frankly outrageous thing for a supposed fan of long term standing to say. By all means offer a retraction, say it was said in haste or in anger, but don't try and pretend you didn't say that and then have a snide pop at anyone who dares to comment and criticise it. That just makes matters worse. Everyone will probably forgive upset and ill chosen words at times like this, but to deny and try and then justify how you felt and pretend it's ok... not on.

I said what I said because deep down I do still love Southend United Football Club with all my heart and until the current regime either totally change their approach and admit their failings or get the hell out of Southend then I just don't think things will ever be the same.

Yes, you don't think they'll be the same... but you don't know, do you? That's just your opinion again so feel free to stay away from the Hall to prove your point.

If you had put any legendary football manager in charge of SUFC under the constraints that Steve Tilson had to work with then people like Clough, Shankly, Paisley, Ferguson, Robson, Mourinho, Wenger et al would have produced similar results. The only reason ST had to go was due to how his relationship with Our Glorious Leader had broken down beyond repair. Just because we now have a manager (putting all personal analysis aside) who the chairman now wants to back does not make it all rosy in the garden. People need to wake up and see this (& by slump I mean say 12 dismal games where we get a Wignall like "passion in the eyes" analysis), not relegation or non-league obscurity or even worse.

Maybe people do see this already but just don't feel as strongly as you do. I certainly wouldn't ever want the club to fail and whilst there is a faction that want to demonstrate, boycott, rebel, whatever, there is another faction that actually agrees with everything you and others say but believe the best way out of it is to support the team even harder and see if we can help get them out this league in the right direction. None of us have the money to wrest the club from Rons grip and rather than waste my effort banging my head against the proverbial brick wall trying to get him to sell something he clearly wants to keep for the time being I'd actually rather channel that energy into positive support for the team. I feel better that way and don't beat myself up over something I have no control over.

I think the general point of this thread has been lost or misinterpreted by some.

The point is, I buy the idea that it will take time to gel and PS to work out his best XI etc etc, but the point was, from what i've seen so far, these so-called "pro" footballers don't look upto the required standards. Answer me this, does it take X amount of weeks/months of joining a new club to be able to trap the ball? How about pick your head up and pass? Another ability that is only recognised once you've settled in? Countless times on Saturday, plus 2 weeks ago against Stockport, our motley crue of (what seems like) rejects and journymen have failed at the basics, i.e. passing, ball control, movement. I mean afterall, they are ment to be professional footballers. Surely the can deal with the basics?

The players just dont look any good, and you can tell me about teams needing to "gel" as much as you like, the players need to possess ability as well.

Yes, exatly what I ment.

its just bloody hard at the moment dealing with watching the kind of cack sunday league football from a bunch of strangers that we had on saturday. I dont berudge anyone their over reactions to the current situation. There only over reactions cos we've punched severly above our weight the last 6 years with an ex SUFC legend at the helm. Quite frankly i'd be amazed if people werent upset or over reacting at our current position.
maybe, as in our history, it will take 5 years of the doldrums, a new manager a few lucky signings and we'll be on the up again, as depressing as it is right now, and i hate it, and feel robbed of my club, us hardcore have just got to support so that we stay in the football league. Southend in the blue square? thats truly the end.
i'll always support, but lets face it, its a **** time to be a blues fan.

Agree with that no end, and probably sums it all up for me. It is the most frustrating and depressing thought to know that after being a crap outfit for many years, we finally got ourselves into the position to build and get away from the crap tag, but somehow, we're now back where we started watching less-then-average players with small attendences. All that hard work, just ******* away.

So many people have said it, and i'll highlight it. This is not our club anymore. You can kid yourself and convince others it is, but it really isn't.

Not sure why he should be ashamed?.I suspect the delivery did not come out as intended but any reasonable minded person can read between the lines and understand the concerns. the team is shocking, no other way to put it really. It reminds me of the dark days of a decade ago when we dodged relegation from the league with the aid of that little bloke, lee hodges from west ham who subsiquently moved to scunny as we couldnt afford him. Until he joined there was no special player who could make someting happen, only journeymen. So i can see the basis for what glasgow is saying and i echo his concern. feels like deja vous for those of us that have been around a while.

Is it though? I've seen this argument a lot on SZ recently and I'm amazed and slightly in awe that I share the board with so many experts - are you all ex-international players going under clever cyber-names?

Tongue in cheek, but my point is, we've played THREE league games and people are already saying 'this is the worst team of all time' and 'a bunch of journeyman players nobody wants' etc - which is just crazy talk. We dont know what this team is capable of... Sturrock doesnt know, the players dont know and we do not know (exept the aforementioned experts it seems!?)

I heard the 'players nobody else wants' argument a lot on Saturday and again, absolute tosh. Thousands of players were without clubs, hundreds probably still are - just because they are unattached doesnt make them bad players. Clohessey had just signed for someone else and then moved to us, Gilbert had an offer to stay at Northampton who wanted him to stay, but he chose us at a time when we were still in complete turmoil. Easton is a very good player, especially at this level and he would have found a club (and was offered a new deal at Swindon which he turned down to come here, again when the safer option was probably staying at Swindon).

Then look at the 'raw' talent we have brought in, Soares, Hall, Bilel - youngsters with something to prove at this level, but it will take time.

Then finally some good experienced campaigners, like Corr, Easton, Evans, Morris and Coughlan who also will be a coach.

The argument you are making is your opinion, but just doesnt hold water for me - certainly not after 3 games?! I didnt make it to Bristol City, but by all accounts we were outstanding against a CCC side... how do you account for that?

Its just going to take time to settle, have a little patience!

I think the general point of this thread has been lost or misinterpreted by some.

The point is, I buy the idea that it will take time to gel and PS to work out his best XI etc etc, but the point was, from what i've seen so far, these so-called "pro" footballers don't look upto the required standards. Answer me this, does it take X amount of weeks/months of joining a new club to be able to trap the ball? How about pick your head up and pass? Another ability that is only recognised once you've settled in? Countless times on Saturday, plus 2 weeks ago against Stockport, our motley crue of (what seems like) rejects and journymen have failed at the basics, i.e. passing, ball control, movement. I mean afterall, they are ment to be professional footballers. Surely the can deal with the basics?

Yes, exatly what I ment.

Agree with that no end, and probably sums it all up for me. It is the most frustrating and depressing thought to know that after being a crap outfit for many years, we finally got ourselves into the position to build and get away from the crap tag, but somehow, we're now back where we started watching less-then-average players with small attendences. All that hard work, just ******* away.

So many people have said it, and i'll highlight it. This is not our club anymore. You can kid yourself and convince others it is, but it really isn't.

Well, by the same token it simply isn't possible to get to be a professional footballer if you can't play the game to a certain level. Even the so-called "donkeys" will look like Pele if you put them alongside anyone from a Sunday league side, both in terms of fitness and ability.

Prosser for instance - looked decent in all the other games.

Saturday was an appalling performance from everyone, Grant included - and there we have a player championed to be a hero, best player in league 2, etc etc.

You can't be crap as a pro. You can play crap, certainly, but you have to have the basics. That's where confidence and consistency come in and those two factors are huge when it comes to a player showing he is L1 or L2 quality.

Everyone was over the moon against Bristol City, cautiously optimistic when we drew with Derby and West Ham and just because we have one wretched performance against a bunch of thugs all of a sudden it's not our club any more? I don't think so.

Yes, exatly what I ment.

Sorry to say, but that's football!

Sheff Weds, Bradford, Oxford, Charlton, Notts County, Southampton... a few examples of clubs that had their peaks and now in the duldrums - its happens. I'm not saying that makes it any easier to accept (or nor that we should), just that sometimes its just your clubs time to sort itself out and rebuild - this is ours.

thats the way its always been for us tho, 3000 max core support through thick and thin, I had genuinely hoped that our succesful tilson era had increased that to 5 or 6, and last season it was still around that, league 2 and a new team have bought that back down to where we were 10 years ago, its the hardcore support for our catchment area, and you could argue the main reason why without a sugar daddy we will always be where we are right now. once in every decade stumbling across a lucky formula and set of players that click and send us up. the difference this time is that roots hall is sold. when we were on the up a new stadium genuinely seemed a risky yet viable option, hosting teams that had a large away following, you only have to look at how much of a ghost town the middlesborough ground was today to see that theres a natural order in football, and sure, weve come back to div 4 with a thump, but our history proves thats where we belong, I can deal with that cos thats the way it always has been, we should feel lucky that we've had so much success, i mean beating man u at home? unbeleivable. promotions? cup finals? lets not forget when tilly took over, these were beyond the wildest dreams of any fan, and now where back to where we started.
its just bloody hard at the moment dealing with watching the kind of cack sunday league football from a bunch of strangers that we had on saturday. I dont berudge anyone their over reactions to the current situation. There only over reactions cos we've punched severly above our weight the last 6 years with an ex SUFC legend at the helm. Quite frankly i'd be amazed if people werent upset or over reacting at our current position.
maybe, as in our history, it will take 5 years of the doldrums, a new manager a few lucky signings and we'll be on the up again, as depressing as it is right now, and i hate it, and feel robbed of my club, us hardcore have just got to support so that we stay in the football league. Southend in the blue square? thats truly the end.
i'll always support, but lets face it, its a **** time to be a blues fan.
HTML:

I totally agree with this post. Yes we would all love to be ripping this league to bits (and who knows we still might) but realistically we need to remember who we are. I have supported Southend for 45 years, and the bad times far outweigh the good. My 14 year old nephew has been coming with me for the last four, and apart from the rot setting in last season this is his first taste of reality SUFC style. He was fed up on Saturday and I asked him if he was losing interest. He said "no way", he still enjoys the whole day, but just wishes he had something to cheer. Sums it up in my book. Through the eyes of a youngster this is his first taste of the hard times, that us old uns have lived and breathed for years. The good times will come back, but we need to be realistic with our current expectations.

seem to have messed this up I was referring to Strykr's earlier post. I'll learn how to do this one day lol

got the gist ronny :)

of course we all hope your right, and the simple fact is we need to win, and we need to play football, or were in the brown stuff.
i can take 1-3 at home against port vale if theres any entertainment value whatsoever, ive seen us loose enough in the past! you have to be a bit of a loyal masochist to put up with that every week, and i think theres about 3000 of us in that category.
i know its gone, move on, get with the times blah blah, etc etc, but i still want my club back....
Just seen Sturrocks post match interview on blues player and at least he knows it was unnaceptable. and after seeing the assistant manager almost spontaneously combust with rage on the touchline, hopefully things will improve,
was wondering what sturrock and mickey adams would have said to each other after the game,
maybe something along the lines of Sturrock: "how the bloody hell did we end up here?"
Adams:" i know! I used to be on match of the day!!!"

AS MANY HAVE SAID;

It is the 3rd game, because we lost to Port Vale does not determine our season, a lot of people on here have said that they don't expect much this season, I personally think we will have a good season! We have to calm down! When we win at Wolverhampton and Bradford away everyone will be saying how much class our players have, how much passion they showed etc. It is the third game **** me!
The amount of **** starts we've seen, the amount of **** performances we've seen, I would've thought we would be used to it by now, sure, it doesn't change the feeling of hurt after losing, but that is the way it is, if you want guaranteed champagne soccer, then you are in the wrong place!
43 games to go chaps!

Up the blues

The belittlement of Corr as a "Sturrock" signing through and through is especially intriguing, given that he was a player that the esteemed Steve Tilson had pinpointed to sign...

AS MANY HAVE SAID;

It is the 3rd game, because we lost to Port Vale does not determine our season, a lot of people on here have said that they don't expect much this season, I personally think we will have a good season! We have to calm down! When we win at Wolverhampton and Bradford away everyone will be saying how much class our players have, how much passion they showed etc. It is the third game **** me!
The amount of **** starts we've seen, the amount of **** performances we've seen, I would've thought we would be used to it by now, sure, it doesn't change the feeling of hurt after losing, but that is the way it is, if you want guaranteed champagne soccer, then you are in the wrong place!
43 games to go chaps!

Up the blues

Don't remind me !

The belittlement of Corr as a "Sturrock" signing through and through is especially intriguing, given that he was a player that the esteemed Steve Tilson had pinpointed to sign...
I really like Corr, and not just for the attractions pointed out by Southend Lady! As a target man we've not seen one with his aerial ability for some time, what we need to develop is someone to play off his knockbacks and knockdowns, and I don't think that's Blair or Paterson. Screech or Harry would both work extremely well in this role, even Soares I think, would do ok.

Sturrock has been finding out a lot about the players in recent games, he is STILL finding out but one thing blatantly obvious Saturday was that Corr should've started.

Thanks for the support mate, nice to know not everybody thinks I am rabidly foaming at the mouth in my straight-jacket...

Thanks for the support mate, nice to know not everybody thinks I am rabidly foaming at the mouth in my straight-jacket...

No, not everyone. Just most of us...

;)

Seriously, though - as much as I am sickened at what Mr. Martin is currently doing to the club I love, surely it would have to be a cold day in hell before any of us would wish that the club went on a losing streak just to prove ourselves right? Is that not the ultimate in:

(a) wishing to cut off our nose to spite our face; and
(b) self-conceit?

You know me - I have a lot of time for you, and your passions about this club of ours. But, for once, I have to be blunt and say that I think you're plain wrong about what you said earlier in this thread. Sorry mate.

As much as I cannot bear the man in charge, I've never ever wanted anything other than to see our club win when it comes to 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

Matt

Back