• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WHIZZZZZZZZZ! That's the sound of furious back pedalling. You did mate, you most certainly did say it for your "...own selfish personal perspective if only to be able to prove how I right I was..." and that is a frankly outrageous thing for a supposed fan of long term standing to say. By all means offer a retraction, say it was said in haste or in anger, but don't try and pretend you didn't say that and then have a snide pop at anyone who dares to comment and criticise it. That just makes matters worse. Everyone will probably forgive upset and ill chosen words at times like this, but to deny and try and then justify how you felt and pretend it's ok... not on.

No back pedalling from me, I was just alluding further to my perspective on things.
I'm also not guilty of having snide pops at people, I leave that to others who are far more adept at it than me.
I've just said how I feel & I'm certainly not trying to hide behind anything I've said.

One thing, you mention "Times like this" - I thought all us negative posters were all over-reacting and it's a "Keep Calm and Carry On" mentality we should adopt?

Last edited:
I've had a couple of days to reflect on Saturday's abysmal performance and so here, for what it's worth, is my reflection on it.

We all know the background to this - the team was in the doldrums, both financially and in terms of morale. We had to get rid of the high earners, but in doing so decimated the squad. Paul Sturrock was appointed on Monday 5th July and the first league game was due to be played on Saturday 7th August. He had to get a squad together in record time in order to start the season - he has done that.

However what sort of players are you going to get at short notice and low wages? The kind that we have ended up with:

• Kids who want a chance of league football - e.g. Ryan Hall, Sean Clohessy, Bilel Mohsni
  • Older pros who want a last season or two before retiring e.g. Coughlan, Easton
  • Those who you know well and are willing to work with you again, kind of as a mutual favour e.g. Sturrock jr., Gilbert, Zaaboub

What you are not going to end up with, unless you are incredibly lucky, is a team of world-beaters or superstars. So let's wake up and smell the coffee!

After Tilly was sacked there were many, myself included, who thought that we would start this season managed by Ricky Duncan and fielding our youth team and young pros. To end up with the squad we have is nothing short of a miracle! We are fielding a full bench of experienced professionals and have genuine options in most departments.

Sturrock is yet to discover all the strengths and weaknesses of his new squad and whose styles complement each other - however is a wise old manager and I believe he will work it out, but please let's give them all time.

As for his selection on Saturday I don't think he got it too wrong on paper. I think he was concerned about the Vale forwards bully-boy tactics which is why Coughlan played, he may have been tempted to blood Mohsni but with his alleged temperament, this was not the game. Instead he gave Prosser a go - how many times have we seen our ex-players raise their games and have a blinder against us? I think that was a fair call. The full backs and keeper picked themselves as do the central midfield pair, if you're going to play 4-4-2. The positions where I think he could have made a better call are up front - I think Corr was needed from the start - and he needs to pair with him whomever complements his style best..... not sure who that is yet and to be honest we're probably yet to sign him.... which may be why he went with his "B" pair of strikers - Blair and Paterson. Zaaboub needs another month for me, but could be a quality player for us. Soares is the biggest disappointment for me so far, but obviously Luggy and Widdrington see something in him above Hall as they keep starting him.

Let's not panic just yet, eh? Remember the season we were League 1 champions started with just 1 win in the first 6 games - it also included a home defeat to Port Vale in August (and an away win at Bradford in the same month)!

Sorry for all the optimism - you can all go back to your depressing whinging now!

Totally agree Shrimpergarry. Monday is the day for sober reflection. Clearly a crap performance. Southend fans cover all shades of opinion and knowledge about football. Some are optimists, some pessimists. I have an neighbour who whenever he sees me says whatwever season, "we're going down" and for the last 2 season's, "he's got to go" menaing Tilly.Trouble is he means it. How did we win the league he asked, "we were awful". He is a hard core fan BTW.
Anyway the worst thing IMHO is that some people on this board are muddling up their hatred of Ron Martin with how the team are doing under Sturrock. This rubbing od hands with glee as it appears Ron Martin may be getting his comeuppance is really rather sickening. I've long had to toleate the whingers and moaners (50 f**ing years) but there are limits.
One of footballs ironies is that our greatest success in under the 2 chairman that even their friends would describle as see you next tuesdays. Now that's something to ponder.

Easton is a very good player, especially at this level and he would have found a club (and was offered a new deal at Swindon which he turned down to come here, again when the safer option was probably staying at Swindon).

I suspect the deal he may have been offered at Swindon was not very good as they only started him in two league games and took him off in one of them. He did make a number of appearances as a sub as well. I haven't been that impressed with him.

If there are so called "supporters" out there that are prepared to give up 3 games into a totally new regime in a new league with a new squad then the best place for them to be is somewhere else. Good riddance is what I say.

No doubt they'll be back if we get a big cup game or fight our way back up the league though.

I feel like giving up after every game we lose (or even draw sometimes). However, by the time the next game comes around, I always seem to have made a miraculous recovery..

Back