• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This government is a shambles. May to be gone by the end of the week.

Time for a coalition party of remainers in every party to come together to get us out of this mess.

Old Theresa has walked along way since this thread started.

Basically, the penny has finally dropped that her deal is no good. A potentially massive back bench revolt against her crazy deal tomorrow. She was warned. She's now played for more time and the hope that something gives. Despite the EU saying there is no more give on their side(No wonder, as they love that deal) they might now have to give something. Whether that's the backstop, we shall see.

What are the odds on a Tory leadership election now?

I think this depends on Jeremy Corbyn, oddly (bear with me!). Labour have the GE campaign on overdrive now and may well call a confidence vote tomorrow to force the issue. However they will highly likely be defeated as neither the Tories or the DUP want a GE or a Labour Government. The received wisdom in Westminster is that both parties would vote for the government on that vote. A very tiny number of the most pie-eyed prats in the Tory ranks, like maybe Nadine Dorries or Anna Soubry may either abstain or vote against the government, but that would be suicide in their constituencies.

If the government were to win a parliamentary confidence vote, it may make a leadership challenge less likely. Then again, it might not. Trying to predict events is a fools errand these days.

I think this depends on Jeremy Corbyn, oddly (bear with me!). Labour have the GE campaign on overdrive now and may well call a confidence vote tomorrow to force the issue. However they will highly likely be defeated as neither the Tories or the DUP want a GE or a Labour Government. The received wisdom in Westminster is that both parties would vote for the government on that vote. A very tiny number of the most pie-eyed prats in the Tory ranks, like maybe Nadine Dorries or Anna Soubry may either abstain or vote against the government, but that would be suicide in their constituencies.

If the government were to win a parliamentary confidence vote, it may make a leadership challenge less likely. Then again, it might not. Trying to predict events is a fools errand these days.
Labour were ready to call a vote of no confidence as soon as Parliament threw out May's deal. It was planned for tomorrow. Delay to the vote means delay to a no confidence vote. Mud is thrown, people get frustrated but Labour gain nothing unless they strike at the right time. She is running the clock down but the more she does that the higher the stakes are and her deal and no deal won't get Parliament backing and the time to fix the mess is evaporating and a General Election may end up as the only way out. Labour are likely to benefit from further delay and further Tory chaos.

I certainly agree with your conclusion.The DUP have made it very clear that they will support Mrs May's government in a confidence vote.It's also pretty clear that the PM won't get anything substantial out of the EU.That meaningful vote has to take place by 21st January, I believe.In the circumstances there would appear to be no future for Mrs May's Brexit plan. What happens after it's finally voted down in the Commons?

Last edited:
What are the odds on a Tory leadership election now?

The question though is who?

The latest #youGov poll has all PM candidates approval ratings are down.

-18% Sajid David
-19% David Davis
-21% Dominic Raab
-23% Amber Rudd
-35% Boris Johnson
-45% Michael Gove

(& Yes, just to clarify they are all minuses).

The question though is who?

The latest #youGov poll has all PM candidates approval ratings are down.

-18% Sajid David
-19% David Davis
-21% Dominic Raab
-23% Amber Rudd
-35% Boris Johnson
-45% Michael Gove

(& Yes, just to clarify they are all minuses).

Skybet odds for next Party leader:

Boris 5/1
Javid 6/1
Raab 7/1
Gove 7/1
Davis 10/1
Rees-Mogg 10/1
Hunt 10/1
Rudd 20/1
Mordaunt 20/1
Leadsom 22/1
25/1 Bar

I was shown a text message in the pub last night, & it did make me chuckle a bit... It went something a long the lines of this........

Man A: Who do you think should be the the next prime minster?

Man B: Mauricio Pochettino.

Man A: Why?

Man B: Because he is the 1st "MP" in a long time to go to Europe and actually get something back.

If early morning media reports are to believed, in Theresa's absence... "more" than the required 48 letters have been received to the chief whip for a no confidence vote, so i would expect a Tory election challenge for the PM by the end of the week.

Edit.. the Journo's now say it will be at best next Monday, as she's away on official business until Thursday. So won't be summoned before Friday.

Last edited:
If early morning media reports are to believed, in Theresa's absence... "more" than the required 48 letters have been received to the chief whip for a no confidence vote, so i would expect a Tory election challenge for the PM by the end of the week.

Edit.. the Journo's now say it will be at best next Monday, as she's away on official business until Thursday. So won't be summoned before Friday.

Yep. She's cancelled her trip to Ireland to defend herself against a leadership challenge. The Ballot will be held tonight between 6pm & 8pm.

Just think, the Tories voted for May in 2016, have changed their minds, and want another vote? Seems like a good idea I wonder if we can implement this elsewhere.

Nicked from twitter.

Back