• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Davros

The Whippet
While Friday and Saturday night were awesome fun... it also re-itterated to me the things i dislike about the job..

If any of you have ever done these things to a DJ... shame on you!

Punter - Can you play this tune my mate made
Me - hmmm, usually i wouldnt, but as its early doors and theres no-one in i give it a listen, and play it for there ammusement
Punter - Did you like it
Me - Someone from Bristol rapping isnt really my thing, but the production is ok
Punter - Will you play it in your party set later
Mermm, probably not
punter - Why not
Me - :thump:

a little later on

a different punter arrives

punter - Do you have any metal mate (bearing in mind im in the middle of an old skool set...which is going very nicely and getting most dancing)
me - not really mate, bit of old stuff i suppose
punter - Will you be playing any
me - Maybe some guns and roses later
punter - Thats not metal
me - ok, sorry, then probably not then
punter - Can i look through ur cd's to see if you have any metal
me - Erm.. no!
punter - Why not?
me - :thump:

Later on...

Me Thanks to our band for the night WIMM... ok, so now we'll be taking you through till 2am with pure disco cheese, requests welcome[/b]

ten minutes later...

Punter - Hello mate, can you play some Jay-z
Me - no!

10 minutes later

punter - Can you play Olive - 'You're not alone'?
me - No!

10 minutes later

punter (from earlier) - Can you play some metal now mate
me - I just played Sweet Child o' Mine
punter thats not what i mean
me - Fair enough
punter - Do you want me to go get a CD from my car
me - I already have about 300 Cd's thanks mate

10 mintutes later... 5 minutes after playing Agadoo..

punter - Can you play Agadoo please
me - Are you ****ed??

also at another point during the night

punter - What does this button do (points at mixing desk)
me - well it says 'pause' so have a guess
punter - Can i press it
me - no
punter - Why not
me - because the 200 people dancing will think im a really sh*t DJ for stopping the music mid song!

Another point during the night

punter - Can you play soemthing decent
me - such as
punter - i dunno, something that people will like
me - id say that as 98% of the people in here are dancing, they like what im playing

.... i must point out that this person was wearing 'Chico Time' t-shirt!

anyhow, there are more that i will think of later and add!

Also, if any fellow DJ's have had stoopid punters or funny storys please add them!

anyhow, to sum up... if you've ever done any of the above... your a class 1 ****!

I think in early Dj'ing I used to circum to such requests......

Punter .....Can you play "Insert Tune here" We all love it.
Me ..Play Tune ....and watch as they all continue to chat and never make a move to the dance floor as the remainder already dancing leave it.

Punter ...That was great, can you now play " Insert Tune Here " ..

Me.. No feck off :D

When I did a bit of Indie Dj'ing in the early 90's, the owner of the club went MENTAL if I played Moving On Up (Primal Scream) no idea why, and this is even after the stoodents asked for it.

Also the bouncer put the heavies on if I didn't play an obscure Nirvana track, which was odd as he was a big, black 16st man... not your average grunger.

this one also made me chuckle...

punter - Can you play Artic Monkeys ' I bet you look good on the dancelfoor'
me - I would love to mate, but the band have it in there set later and i promised them i wouldnt **** on there set list (the truth)
punter - but i'm the bands manager!
me - (knowing full well the band manage themselves) - so why the **** would you want to ruin your bands set??

Me ..Play Tune ....and watch as they all continue to chat and never make a move to the dance floor as the remainder already dancing leave it.

No wonder Dick wouldn't play any Alice Cooper.:hilarious:

While Friday and Saturday night were awesome fun... it also re-itterated to me the things i dislike about the job..

QUOTE]

Says the person wearing a 'Freddy Eastwood laid my driveway' T-shirt. :hilarious:

If any of you have ever done these things to a DJ... shame on you!

Punter - Can you play this tune my mate made
Me - hmmm, usually i wouldnt, but as its early doors and theres no-one in i give it a listen, and play it for there ammusement
Punter - Did you like it
Me - Someone from Bristol rapping isnt really my thing, but the production is ok
Punter - Will you play it in your party set later
Mermm, probably not
punter - Why not
Me - :thump:

a little later on

a different punter arrives

punter - Do you have any metal mate (bearing in mind im in the middle of an old skool set...which is going very nicely and getting most dancing)
me - not really mate, bit of old stuff i suppose
punter - Will you be playing any
me - Maybe some guns and roses later
punter - Thats not metal
me - ok, sorry, then probably not then
punter - Can i look through ur cd's to see if you have any metal
me - Erm.. no!
punter - Why not?
me - :thump:

Later on...

Me Thanks to our band for the night WIMM... ok, so now we'll be taking you through till 2am with pure disco cheese, requests welcome[/b]

ten minutes later...

Punter - Hello mate, can you play some Jay-z
Me - no!

10 minutes later

punter - Can you play Olive - 'You're not alone'?
me - No!

10 minutes later

punter (from earlier) - Can you play some metal now mate
me - I just played Sweet Child o' Mine
punter thats not what i mean
me - Fair enough
punter - Do you want me to go get a CD from my car
me - I already have about 300 Cd's thanks mate

10 mintutes later... 5 minutes after playing Agadoo..

punter - Can you play Agadoo please
me - Are you ****ed??

also at another point during the night

punter - What does this button do (points at mixing desk)
me - well it says 'pause' so have a guess
punter - Can i press it
me - no
punter - Why not
me - because the 200 people dancing will think im a really sh*t DJ for stopping the music mid song!

Another point during the night

punter - Can you play soemthing decent
me - such as
punter - i dunno, something that people will like
me - id say that as 98% of the people in here are dancing, they like what im playing

anyhow, there are more that i will think of later and add!

Also, if any fellow DJ's have had stoopid punters or funny storys please add them!

anyhow, to sum up... if you've ever done any of the above... your a class 1 ****!

A top quality DJ would be playing music that has people on the dance floor all night, not bugging the life out of them to play something different:finger:

A top quality DJ would be playing music that has people on the dance floor all night, not bugging the life out of them to play something different:finger:

A top quality DJ would be doing PAs, opening supermarkets, fronting 'Which way now?' GCSE option campaigns and flying round London in a helicopter raising money for chradee.

thats fair kop if you have two assumptions....

1) top DJ's such as Tiesto charge thousands of pounds... i did this weekend for minimal cost

2) People who go to see top DJ's such as Tiesto all go for the same type of music... this weekend, i had to cater for a whole variety of tastes that varied from hardcore trance to hardcore rock to Chico..

also, all DJ's i've ever met believe in the same ethos that "you can't please all the people, all the time"

Says the person wearing a 'Freddy Eastwood laid my driveway' T-shirt. :hilarious:

thats fair kop, that was Saturday nights.

Friday nights t-shirt was much better, you may remember it from the EOS (had you not been chundering!)

madfriraveonvy6.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, I had that one too many times before I decided to totally ignore the ****s ...

At my wedding reception i insisted the DJ play Korn - Blind, as its one of my all time favs.. About half-way through the evening it comes on, but after about 5 seconds is taken off again, i go to ask him why, but as everyone wants to chat it takes a good hour before i can shake myself free and ask what happened to my tune. Anyone who knows the song will know it starts really stuttery, it appears the DJ thought it was scratched so he threw it in the bin :cry: :cry:

Suffice to say he didn't get a tip !!!!!

talking of tips, i think the best ever 'gig' i did went as follows..

I was booked up to do a kids party followed by an adult party.., it was gonna be 5 hours long (2 hours kids, 3 hours adult... all for the same family) and so i charged £120, they paid up front when they booked..

Anyhow, a week before i got a phonecall saying the adult party had been cancelled... i naturally offered to refund £60... however, they said it was alright, and didnt mind me keeping the full amount...

happy days i thought.

Anyhow, i tured up on the evening, and it was a church hall... the vicar didnt get there to unlock it until 10 mintues before i had to start... now rigging genrally takes me 30mins, but this night i got it done in 25... still, this only lft me with an hour and 3/4 to DJ.

I finished the set, got fed and watered byt the hosts, which is nice (cos not all people do)... and then while i was de-rigging, the mother of the girl whos birthday it was came and gave me a £40 tip...

£160 for 2 hours work!! happy days!! :D (sadly i owed a mate £100 of it for some equiptment i had bought off him though :( )

I have similar issues being in a band. We play cheesy pop/rock tunes - a sort of "live" disco if you will (alright, "wedding singers"!)

Nothing gets me more than when someone comes up to us IN THE MIDDLE OF A SONG to request their personal favourite, which invariably we haven't learned so we can't play anyway. What is wrong with these people?! I'm singing into a microphone whilst playing a guitar and someone starts screaming in my ear that they want "Simply the Best"!!!!

You don't ask a sword-swallower if he wants a biscuit in the middle of his act, do you!!!!

:thump:

Back