• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Things kids will never believe

Southend Pier was an awesome day out!

On that note, this incredible film from 1959 surfaced the other day on Faceache (maybe someone more tech savvy can work out how to better upload it?):

[video]https://www.facebook.com/YourSouthend/videos/1687920407894578/?hc_ref=ARRH41KY6Umy0V6EBUb1s5yu5D0adg9VvjshEJ_lkJ vANpO_xUlllpJ0K-dQPSF3J5c&pnref=story[/video]

The fact that a policeman, teacher or any adult could give you a clip round the ear if you did wrong and you didn't go crying to mum and dad that you'd been assaulted - in fact, you'd probably get another smack for what you did in the first place!

Last edited:
That Fatboy Slim was in the Housemartins.
That pre-video the only place to witness Star Wars other than the cinema was to listen to it on a cassette.
That you had to sign a football player by fax.............

Ha! Rob Noxious used to play 5 a side football with one of them when they moved down to London (not FS though).

Taping the charts on a C90 and trying to stop recording when Bruno Brookes chipped in with a "witticism".

On that note, this incredible film from 1959 surfaced the other day on Faceache (maybe someone for tech savvy can work out how to better upload it?):

[video]https://www.facebook.com/YourSouthend/videos/1687920407894578/?hc_ref=ARRH41KY6Umy0V6EBUb1s5yu5D0adg9VvjshEJ_lkJ vANpO_xUlllpJ0K-dQPSF3J5c&pnref=story[/video]

The fact that a policeman, teacher or any adult could give you a clip round the ear if you did wrong and you didn't go crying to mum and dad that you'd been assaulted - in fact, you'd probably get another smack for what you did in the first place!

Thats a great video, shame about the comments below all moaning that Southend has been left to fall apart and everything is now awful. Sure they havent been down there for a while, its pretty decent down there nowdays since is has been renovated.

I know my kids enjoy it down there but, getting back to the theme of the thread, its always hard to explain to my son how if we wanted to play a computer game we would have to go to the amusements or the chip shop!

That Fatboy Slim was in the Housemartins.

Would many kids these days know much about either of those acts?

Anyway...when I was younger, if we were driving from Canvey to Southend, we'd go past the water tower at the top of Essex Way. My dad used to tell me witches lived in there and I'd hide in down on the floor behind his seat so they couldn't see me.

Mentioned this to my two the other day and they were surprised that I was allowed to take my seat belt off and do that. Well children, this was the 1980s...

Would many kids these days know much about either of those acts?

Anyway...when I was younger, if we were driving from Canvey to Southend, we'd go past the water tower at the top of Essex Way. My dad used to tell me witches lived in there and I'd hide in down on the floor behind his seat so they couldn't see me.

Mentioned this to my two the other day and they were surprised that I was allowed to take my seat belt off and do that. Well children, this was the 1980s...

Take it off? Your mean you actually wore one? I remember a time I was bundled in the boot with a cousin as there wasn't enough room in the car - it was probably a 30min trip from Bangor station to my uncles house in Caernavon. :stunned:

Take it off? Your mean you actually wore one? I remember a time I was bundled in the boot with a cousin as there wasn't enough room in the car - it was probably a 30min trip from Bangor station to my uncles house in Caernavon. :stunned:

Sorry, that's what I meant - we didn't have seat belts in any family cars until about 1991.

Going round a roundabout - waheeeeey time!

Back