• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Things that annoy you during Covid!

Most annoying “in” thing to do during lockdown!?

• Clapping for NHS / Keyworkers

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Zoom

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Doing quizzes online

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Bunting on houses / roads

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Kids paintings in windows

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • People posting baking pics

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Being told to “stay safe”

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely clapping for key workers for me. Reminds me too much of the 2 minutes hate in 1984. People are starting to 'name and shame' neighbours who don't participate on facebook. I would vote for the curtain twitchers who dob in covidiots as well.

I ticked bunting - mainly because I think it's for VE day and I think the concept of 'celebrating' VE day is really weird. The Second World War was a global tragedy, and even if we were on the right side and victorious, I can't wrap my head around people having parties to celebrate it. It's yet another excuse for curtain twitchers to name and shame houses that don't take part.

The whole clapping crap for the NHS. I worked for the NHS for 11 years, and the whole sacred cow thing drove me nuts then and is really getting on my nerves now.

Dont get me wrong, the front line staff are doing amazing work. But it is their job, their chosen profession. They are also under some of the most immense pressure right now, so hats off to their care and tenacity during some very dark times. And the genuine stars are the people who just quietly get on with it, and arent looking for public sympathy or appreciation or to score political points.

What bugs me most is the mass hero worship thing, the egotistical need to be seen to offer praise publically, people offering free food to nhs staff in return for public kudos and the whole 'must fall in line and clap' campaign. Reminds me of some of the the extreme political regimes of the last century! Reality is, the NHS is the only sector getting yhe benefits of almost unlimited overtime, and workers have guaranteed work. Yet day to day services are mothballed, and all routine work delayed significantly. And, despite the very loud, mainly left wing led rhetoric, the nhs is not underfunded, it is just not managed very well. That terrible management means that front line workers don't always have the right tools for the job at the right time (hence the ppe fiasco, which is a massive procurement fail!)

What about the hidden front lines, delivery staff, supermarket staff, their supply chains, bank workers, post office... the list goes on.

Last edited:
I ticked bunting - mainly because I think it's for VE day and I think the concept of 'celebrating' VE day is really weird. The Second World War was a global tragedy, and even if we were on the right side and victorious, I can't wrap my head around people having parties to celebrate it. It's yet another excuse for curtain twitchers to name and shame houses that don't take part.

Surely it's a celebration of the end of the slaughter and peace in Europe ever since, Balkens war aside.

Surely it's a celebration of the end of the slaughter and peace in Europe ever since, Balkens war aside.
I hope that's how most people see it. For me, there was no need to change it from May Day. Sadly, like everything else it become a victim of the tedious culture war in this country.

Last edited:
For me it’s the Clap for the NHS, my wife and mother work for the NHS. My issue isn’t the support for them through the clapping it’s how it’s mutated into publicity for people and other agencies.

When it first started it was all about standing in your doorway, sticking to the ‘stay at home’ and giving appreciation to our NHS and the support staff. Then it became about the other emergency services having mass gatherings which attracted crowds to watch and film. It almost became a showing off session and a competition to get more likes on social media. The whole initial message and purpose was lost and it all became about people’s social media presence.

The worst thing is Police forces sharing videos of their mass gatherings on their social media feeds. Surrounded by loads of people breaking the ‘lockdown’ rules and not social distancing.

There has been an upside in our road. As more folk have joined in the NHS 8pm slot so more have got to know neighbours they had never previously spoken to. Once upon a time we knew most people in our road, but over the years everything has become more and more insular. Because of the 'clapping' the majority of the road have signed up to a 'VE tea party on your front garden' bash at 3 tomorrow which seems like a plus to me.

As for the other stuff in the poll, if folk want to do them then it's ok by me. I may not have any interest in some of them but that's the beauty of democracy, it's called individual choice.

[Edit - no need for the politics]

Great idea at the outset.

The idea that we are in Lockdown, its a farcical attempt to look like something is being done , without any real emphasis on real instruction , now Europe is lifting far stricter restrictions to similar levels to our current position , there are many braying for greater freedom here, with 600 odd a day still dying and the spectre of a double spike , but a trip to the pub is more important

Last edited by a moderator:
On the clapping topic, I’ve been told that there’s an old boy who stands at the road entrance into Basildon hospital every day, and claps the workers as they drive past into work.

Captain Tom, he's everywhere! Never once have I seen him actually seen him do a full lap of his house, just the last bit, total fraud lol.

Totally agree , definite scam.
Has all the money really gone to the NHS - really Tom ?
He must have creamed some off the top for ‘miscellaneous expenses’ .......
I’m not even sure at his age that he could accurately keep count of the number of laps ...

I think the majority of NHS workers would rather the public just stayed the **** indoors. Seems to me a lot of the ones out banging pans and posting on Facebook are the same ones flouting the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back