• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This has a worrying look of familiarity...

Please don't! Travelled to the UK to visit my brother. Last minute we decided the pull was too great and we drove there from Benfleet as quickly as possible (observing the speed limits, of course). It was the only game of ours I could watch... and was so happy to see us take a 2-0 first half lead.

Then it happened.

But did you go with or without him!? ?

Please don't! Travelled to the UK to visit my brother. Last minute we decided the pull was too great and we drove there from Benfleet as quickly as possible (observing the speed limits, of course). It was the only game of ours I could watch... and was so happy to see us take a 2-0 first half lead.

Then it happened.

I think it was even worse - wasn’t it only 1-0 but with Shots down to 10 men?

I travelled from Weymouth - at least I got back in time for some extra Boxing Day refreshment.

I think it was even worse - wasn’t it only 1-0 but with Shots down to 10 men?

I travelled from Weymouth - at least I got back in time for some extra Boxing Day refreshment.
I recalled 2-0 for some reason. Need to check.

Edit: Yep, 0-1. My memory is starting to let me down.

I've watched the video now. The contrast between Hull City and Darlington is fascinating. Both were in League Two at the time and both built grand new stadiums within a year of each other. For Hull this brought promotion to the Premiership for the first time ever and establishment as a Championship club. For Darlington it brought disaster. Maybe the fact that Hull had a population of 250,000 while Darlington only 100,000. Darlington also had the underworld figure of George Reynolds as its chairman, of course....

I've watched the video now. The contrast between Hull City and Darlington is fascinating. Both were in League Two at the time and both built grand new stadiums within a year of each other. For Hull this brought promotion to the Premiership for the first time ever and establishment as a Championship club. For Darlington it brought disaster. Maybe the fact that Hull had a population of 250,000 while Darlington only 100,000. Darlington also had the underworld figure of George Reynolds as its chairman, of course....

...whose wife accused players sitting at the back of a supporters meeting that they were throwing games!
He also published the wages of one of their strikers, and asked fans if they were getting value for money?
I'm not sure even Ron could...hang on!

I was at the game at Feethams (Darlington v Lincoln I think) when George Reynolds (& his wife) came on to the pitch to announce to the (few) fans that he was going to take the team all the way up to the top division.

I was incredulous but it seemed like quite a few around me believed him. What fun.

(I went to the match as I was in the area & Lincoln had an ex-Southend player in their team).

P.S. Darlington & Rotherham are the only teams I have seen play in 3 different home locations. I didn't get to Brighton whilst they were at Withdean(?)

I've now gone down the youtube wormhole to watch a video by the same guy about notts county.

As much as the Darlo story is a warning, the biggest villan is the twunt capitalising on football debt when itv sport folded, its people like him that makes me not trust anyone

If it is the same vid I stumbled on Youtube then its well worth a watch. In fact its a must for any lower league fan but especially us Shrimpers. Focused on their owner at the time who tried to pass himself off as a loveable rogue but was a wrong'un in so many ways.

I've now gone down the youtube wormhole to watch a video by the same guy about notts county.

As much as the Darlo story is a warning, the biggest villan is the twunt capitalising on football debt when itv sport folded, its people like him that makes me not trust anyone
Did you watch the one on the Doncaster owner that burnt down part of the stadium??

Did you watch the one on the Doncaster owner that burnt down part of the stadium??
Yep, for all Rons flaws at least he's not a criminal.

I actually think the major difference with our stadium is that Ron has been clear from the start that he can't afford to build it himself, oh and he has better hair

Back