• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

J

The Chameleon
So many questions, so little answers..

A day that was supposed to promise much, with Big Ron's blog - the "real insight" to the club.

A day, where we could have been absolutely spanked by Leeds, but didn't.

But what has happened today?

Now there are many threads about people's moods tonight, and how angry everyone is. But let me pose a couple of questions.. or thoughts.

And before I start, Scriven, as i know you like to be quite chummy with your boss, and score as many brownie points as possible, then please give this thread to Ron, and get him to call me on my Mobile again, and Ron, if you're reading this tomorrow morning, while munching those very nice Chocolate biscuits you provide ;) and the lovely Coffee that is served, then once again, call me, if you feel fit.. in fact, i'd love to meet again, so we can catch up and indeed see how the club has "progressed" since our last meet in September.

1st Question, Ron. Why write this blog, or indeed, give it a build up like it did, and actually produce nothing than a couple of paragraphs, about what we already knew!! Why is it that you are seen alot, (which is something i agree with) but so far, i feel the promises haven't been backed up.

2nd, Ron. You said that after relegation, the first season in League 1, was indeed not too bad, i agree. However, you also said, that a second season without a challenge for promotion would be disastrous, and a "failure.." So my question is this, what are you going to do about it?

3rd. Tilson. What are you going to do now? No one, and i mean no one, doubts you are indeed a Southend Hero - but... what is the way forward? Managers get sacked for much less than you have done this year, and naming 4, yes 4 subs, in a Professional match, is indeed ridiculous.. nye on ludicrous.. Managers get sacked for not covering all postions.

4th. Who else is there? - For me, no one. But, i don't want Tilson to go out on a sour note here, and indeed, i dream of him taking us to the Championship again - but reality says it's not happening.

5th. Richie Foran - This is getting stupid now, how dare you not even consider a fit player? who has played more matches than most of our Strikeforce this year.. i suggest Either, you, Ron or Brush eat some very big Humble pie, or you could be faced with a relegation crumble.

6th and final, Ron. Why are you not investing in Player's now? When there is a severe reality, that IF this stadium ever get's under way, it could be attended by no more than 4,000 at home to Accrington Stanley (who are they?)

Some questions and thoughts for you to ponder..

... i await another phone call.

* Ron, i am not actually expecting a call, it was tongue in cheek ;)

Great points and well put. I would also add Tilsons increasing reluctance to buy defenders. The past 2 seasons we have had only 2 CBs as replacements(Richards sold, Liptak who he refused to play), and this season only Sankofa supposedly covering the entire back four. We have only replaced hammell since he left last January with loanees, meaning Herd has been rushed into the first team. We arent to clever in midfield either, but he seems hell-bent on buying strikers.

quality post. everyone of those questions need answering ASAP so ron tilly and the club don't lose the fans faith, which in turn loses the fans money, which in turn leaves sufc.......

Good post 'J' you do make some good points. I will still never call for Tilson to go and think Ron Martin is doing a good job but clearly things can't keep going on as they are or we are heading for certain relegation.

Good post 'J' you do make some good points. I will still never call for Tilson to go and think Ron Martin is doing a good job but clearly things can't keep going on as they are or we are heading for certain relegation.

Nope, and i haven't called for it either. Out of interest, how is Ron doing a good job at the moment? Just want to see some valid points.

Great points and well put. I would also add Tilsons increasing reluctance to buy defenders. The past 2 seasons we have had only 2 CBs as replacements(Richards sold, Liptak who he refused to play), and this season only Sankofa supposedly covering the entire back four. We have only replaced hammell since he left last January with loanees, meaning Herd has been rushed into the first team. We arent to clever in midfield either, but he seems hell-bent on buying strikers.

This is something I find staggering, it really is.

We have just missed out on Mike Williamson, a centre half from Wycombe who has just joined Watford. We got turned down by the fella from Spurs on loan. Plus, according to a well respected member on here ;) (I respect you anyways) we should be signing a left back before the window is shut.

Just because a striker was mentioned by Tilly the other day, doesn't mean we aren't looking to strengthen other players. Even RM pointed our in his interview on the BBC website that we are certainly looking to sign a left winger.

Nope, and i haven't called for it either. Out of interest, how is Ron doing a good job at the moment? Just want to see some valid points.

He's turned the club around financially for a start and he's got us planning permission for a new home. Avg attendances have doubled in the past 5 years, due to the club being run and marketed professionally. He appointed the man, who has lead us to our most successful period of all time....

I think the crux of our problems lies there in your post,increasing reluctance to buy defenders.If we had more quality at the back at least our away form might have improved enough to dig some draws and grab a few points.
What's the old saying? Build from the back!

This should have been addressed in the summer.Instead we've had Francis labouring away at full-back and now Herd being thrown in at the deep end.
And all season,in fact for the last two seasons we've been saying that Clarke and Barrett can't play together and would benefit from somebody big next to them.

He's turned the club around financially for a start and he's got us planning permission for a new home. Avg attendances have doubled in the past 5 years, due to the club being run and marketed professionally. He appointed the man, who has lead us to our most successful period of all time....

... right, so what about if we are in League 2 - this is still the case? What is he doing NOW.

I cant say I normally agree with you J but you have made some very valid points in your post. The last few months have been a shambles and, to be honest, Ron's blog today was disappointing. I know it was his first one but, knowing how the supporters are feeling at the moment, it would have been nice if he had actually focussed on current matters as opposed to some claptrap about the amount of players we have had on our books this year.

I believe Ron is still doing a good job - it sounds like he is doing all he can!!! Without putting us in financial difficulties he is still stumping up the cash maybe be it only for loan signings but bids have clearly been rejected or players simply turned us down. Although I agree with some of the concerns over team selection at the moment - I don't blame Tilly either - infact I genuinely agree with him that we have been incredibly unlucky!!!

Bailey/Gower left us in the lurch at the start of the season and we battled on and with the help of good loan signings made a great start... but how were either of them to forecast these injuries/suspensions?! Up until now, for me, Ron has done a great job! We couldn't have a better chairman, as someone who has stuck with our management and always supported them.

But I guess now is the time Ron has to prove me right and silence his critics...

Give him the chance to do it!!!

I think 5 months has been long enough surely?

During those 5 months we have brought in Harding, Sawyer, Feds, HRK, JFC and Stanislas who all did well done here.

This is something I find staggering, it really is.

We have just missed out on Mike Williamson, a centre half from Wycombe who has just joined Watford. We got turned down by the fella from Spurs on loan. Plus, according to a well respected member on here ;) (I respect you anyways) we should be signing a left back before the window is shut.

Just because a striker was mentioned by Tilly the other day, doesn't mean we aren't looking to strengthen other players. Even RM pointed our in his interview on the BBC website that we are certainly looking to sign a left winger.

I get that you disagree with my post, but "staggering" i hardly think so.

You say Williamson, he was never going to come to us with championship clubs interested. As for this fella from Spurs, who is nameless, i know nothing about this, as do you, seem to know very little.

Its all well and good going for these players, but we havent seen a decent defender signed by Tilson since ....???. You name one, plus the ones touted arent arriving anytime soon.

Back