• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
So, after just 4 wins and a draw in our last 6 games, and game in hand pending, there or thereabouts in the playoffs, perhaps now some people can finally understand what perspective means when it comes to the sensationalism postings that have appeared on here over the last couple of months!

Whilst some of us have voiced displeasure at some of the results, and other aspects of the club, most of us managed to keep in sight of the fact that we were only suffering a blip in form, and the playoffs eere never more than a couple of victories away - as we have proved over the last 3 weeks.

Some people, who were pretty much declaring the end of the world was nigh, did not seem capable of grasping the reality of the situation.

The recent run of form has proved that the 'knee-jerk' reactions of some of the posters on here were just that -knee jerk. By the same token, I don't think it is time to start putting out the flags and popping the champagne corks just because we have had an upturn in form, it is important to keep where we are in perspective, whilst remaining positive about the remainder of our season.

I am wondering if the people who were calling for the head of the management team are now still thinking that is a good idea? As the majority of us have said time and time again, Tilly has faults, some of them are obvious, and some of them are damn right annoying, but he is proving yet again that despite that, he knows what he is doing, and he is getting results for our club, even if our performances are not the best. In fact, it is even more encouraging that we are winning whilst not at our best - that is the side of a team who can be successful.

Regardless of what happens between now and May, I think we have seen enough to know that the club is in safe hands with our management duo, and whilst I hope and expect us to make the play-offs, the new recruits and the results over the last few weeks have shown me that there really isn't that much to worry about.

The doom merchants really have created much ado about nothing in all honesty. The team has not been lower than mid table all season, and is now right back in the mix, and with 5 of the top 6 still to play, it is entirly in our hands how successful we can be this season.

I have complete faith in Tilly and Brush to lead us back into another playoff adventure!

Good for you matey keep the faith and I agree with you hopefully it will keep all the negative posts away.

A very good post, R_C. I've always considered 'perspective' a key word in assessing our fortunes and while our season has been somewhat erratic so far - in terms of results, performances and personnel - the level of hysteria that has manifested itself on the 'Zone at times has been staggering. One always has to look at the bigger picture.

For what it's worth, my gut feeling is that we will miss out on the play-offs due to our defensive frailties but if that is the case I don't think we'll have disgraced ourselves. This season was all about finding our feet again after the relegation and although there are problems lingering from the Championship campaign that still need to be rectified, we've at least halted the slide and restored some confidence.

Whatever, I'm delighted we're still in the hunt for promotion as we head into March and Tilly, PB and Ron are building a very bright future.

Fantastic post R_C, I'm bookmarking this thread as to use it when the next blip in form comes around, nice for a bit of perspective.

So, after just 4 wins and a draw in our last 6 games, and game in hand pending, there or thereabouts in the playoffs, perhaps now some people can finally understand what perspective means when it comes to the sensationalism postings that have appeared on here over the last couple of months!

Snipped to save server space...

I have complete faith in Tilly and Brush to lead us back into another playoff adventure!

Indeed RC, I was saying after the reaction against Millwall that we actually were in decent form and its the knee jerking after that game that I found really frustrating.

It has to be said we havent set the world alight this season and without Clarke and now Barnard we have at times looked extremely mediocre, and whilst people went over the top its true we have struggled.

However despite some underpar performances we still found ourselves within touching distance of the play offs and it is feasible.

the irony is that Ive seen posts after today saying we are championship bound, and that kind of post is exactly the same as saying Tilson out.

We are doing ok, we may have a pop at the play offs, and if we do we will have a huge challenge to get through to the final and win it.

Perspective is certainly needed to stop the barometer of success and failure swinging so wildly after each game.

We have a very tough March so I hope people dont get carried away just yet....

If we are indeed playoff bound, dont forget we've got a 100% record in playoff finals AND we've never conceeded a goal in a playoff match :rolleyes:

I remember a coach trip to an away game years ago and someone putting a video of particular season on. The commentator on it was John Adams who was a real laugh although he didn't realise. For sometime I couldn't understand why we were watching it as we had a few thumping loses but interpersed with these were a few good wins. Anyway to cut a long story short we got to a match at Bury and the rest is history. BUT even in that glorious year we had some very bad losses. For all the moans this season we are 7th

The fact is plenty of people in life not just on this board are naturally negative, and thus become passionate about being negative, they love it when there predictions of doom become true and always adopt the 'I told you so' attitude Perspective is vital in all walks of life but football seems to overide many a sane person, god knows I have been driven to despair during my 25 years following the blues but let me just say this, during those twenty five years I have never known such good times as we have had under tilly, he is the best end of, even ahead of Webb IMO, we get over 7000 every home game that in itself is a sign of how far we have come, I remember when 4500 was considered a good crowd at the hall. It is not always good supporting southend but it is never boring, top post by the way RC

I agree that the doom sayers we a tad annoying however I also find those who after a slight turnaround go overboard and believe we are going to be guaranteed a play off place.

With our defence I am still not 100% sure that the playoffs are a forgone conclusion. I have always maintained that this year we should look at a top ten finish as a job well done.

If we do go up this year are we really that well placed to sustain a place in the Championship or will we see another year of disappointment and relegation??

Your Still a Star Richard

Whilst some of us have voiced displeasure at some of the results, and other aspects of the club, most of us managed to keep in sight of the fact that we were only suffering a blip in form, and the playoffs eere never more than a couple of victories away - as we have proved over the last 3 weeks.

Some people, who were pretty much declaring the end of the world was nigh, did not seem capable of grasping the reality of the situation.

The recent run of form has proved that the 'knee-jerk' reactions of some of the posters on here were just that -knee jerk. By the same token, I don't think it is time to start putting out the flags and popping the champagne corks just because we have had an upturn in form, it is important to keep where we are in perspective, whilst remaining positive about the remainder of our season.

I am wondering if the people who were calling for the head of the management team are now still thinking that is a good idea? As the majority of us have said time and time again, Tilly has faults, some of them are obvious, and some of them are damn right annoying, but he is proving yet again that despite that, he knows what he is doing, and he is getting results for our club, even if our performances are not the best. In fact, it is even more encouraging that we are winning whilst not at our best - that is the side of a team who can be successful.

Regardless of what happens between now and May, I think we have seen enough to know that the club is in safe hands with our management duo, and whilst I hope and expect us to make the play-offs, the new recruits and the results over the last few weeks have shown me that there really isn't that much to worry about.

The doom merchants really have created much ado about nothing in all honesty. The team has not been lower than mid table all season, and is now right back in the mix, and with 5 of the top 6 still to play, it is entirly in our hands how successful we can be this season.

Star player and Star posting.

You have very elloquently recorded what 1000,s of us long standing supporters have ourselves been thinking.

I go back to Joe Kurillar [looks badly spelt but cannot recall correct way] aka:"the gorilla", Billy Best & Tony Beasley era of the early 1970's and agree that we now have the best combination coach/manager in all that time.

I have learnt to trust to their best judgment, which has been something quite alien given the many past failures.

OK they may not be 100% perfect and make a couple of odd mistakes, which seems to stem from their loyalty to the players, abeit that the team spirit seems to also go hand in glove with the players trusting the gaffers.

Sometimes their loyalties have stetched a lttile too far, as with Harrold, who was clearly suffering at this level and did not seem to have a powerful enough shot with an accuracy to beat opposing keepers. In the end analysis, strikers are judged by their goalscoring prowess, as Richard you will well know.

The recent dip in form co-incided with experimentation of a mixture of combination of strikers, and an efffective up front partneship seemed to me to be all that was lacking. Als had some bad luck in the transfer market.

Steve also expermimented with different formations for a few weeks, but whatever we had against Leeds should be bottled and stored in his little grey cells as that was a turning point on the back of a moral victory at Orient, even though they got extremely lucky in the 93.5th minute to escape with a draw.

We have a nucleus of a very good squad and Wembley would be a lifelong ambition achieved if the team could manage to pull it off, both for them and for us. Who knows we could well meet Leeds again home and away or at Wembley hence need to bottle that information.

Either way if it turns out we are building for next year, the future does look very rosy on the playing side. Long may that remain.

If you get opportunity please pass to Tilly & Brush our appreciation for their efforts and that we all hope that they will remain into the long future and to let them know the greater majority of supporters fully trust their judgments.

Forget the small contingent of complainers, they are just part of the minutia of life and who are best ignored.

I like the look of Moussa, apart from Gareth Bale, I rated him the best player on the pitch in last game of last season, for 60 mins. If he has improved his stamina in the past 9-10 mths, [although he did put in 90 mins effort into the 60] he is surely going to be unleashed at some point in the starting 11 ?

Young enough to be eased into squad but would not like to think he may become disillusioned for lack of starting consdieration and force him to look toward other pastures. He sure is talented - even in the half time warm up !

Regards,

I'm new to the board but have been a lifelong supporter and season ticket holder.

Although Tilly has his faults he has done a cracking job. Although we still look like conceding soft goals at least we now look like scoring at the other end.

A good strike force can carry any side a long way , however mediocre or average it may be. From my early days as a supporter we were never blessed with a great side but Best and Garner up front guaranteed goals. The early signs of Barnard and Walker are very encouraging , and with the run of form we are in the at the moment gives us a great chance of making the play-offs.

Another top post RC and completely right. Of course there are always going to be extremes of opinions amongst the supporters, but I sincerely hope that the Tilly bashing of the last few months will now finally stop as it's completely counter productive. Good also that Gower got a goal and from what I heard played well, hopefully that's going to have given him a bit of encouragement and confidence before returning to face the boo boys at Roots Hall against Luton.

Fantastic post R_C... These are indeed pretty happy times to be a Southend supporter, a perspective that that only years of following the team can give you.

I will reserve judgement on just how good we are until the end of the season and not base it on a bad run or the current good one. We have been fortunate to have played some bad teams and teams lacking in confidence during in recent weeks: Yeovil, Bournemouth, Leeds. We're still conceding too many goals (I think yesterday's was only the second in nineteen games) but have enough attacking flair to cover that up - just. It worries me how we'll cope with the better teams though.

We have lost many of our 'big' games this season - often in crushing fashion. If we can beat, or at least compete with, the likes of Forest, Swansea and Carlisle in the closing games of the season I will be immensely satisfied at the team's progress - and believe them worthy of being in the promotion shake-up.

I agree 100% that a lot that gets posted on hre is knee-jerk, however that will always be the case. The bottom line is that most/if not all of us are very passionate Shrimpers, and sometimes speak too quickly or incorrectly (in other peoples opinions). What ever result we get good or bad I always try and tone down my reactions the first 24 hours after the end, untill I am back down to Earth whatever the result.

I think in recent times the Zone has been used more for vans to vent any anger they have regarding the results that previously, the main thing to remember is that we are all on the same side (most of the time)

Superb stuff, RC - and I agree wholeheartedly. While Tilly and Brush remain at the helm of our club, we're in very good hands.

We're a really good centre-half away from having a side which is capable of being promoted.

:)

....or a quality goalkeeper. Having Clarke & Barrett together wouldn't be too bad if they had a Mark Crossley or Neil Sullivan behind them.

A bit more tweaking with the squad in the summer and I think we will have a very good chance of promotion next season!

Back