• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The draw was done in Beijing at 04:15 and was neither on TV or radio. Yet another reason not to take this cup seriously. I can't remember the last time I even watched a final let alone a game that didn't involve us.

The draw seems to have been very good for all the PL teams......Just saying.

Why are we looking at Burton's fixture, wasn't it Newport that beat us? Newport lost to Leeds in the 2nd round, whether we took it seriously or not I really can't see us beating Leeds but if we did we would have got Burnley in the 3rd round.

The draw was done in Beijing at 04:15 and was neither on TV or radio. Yet another reason not to take this cup seriously. I can't remember the last time I even watched a final let alone a game that didn't involve us.

The draw seems to have been very good for all the PL teams......Just saying.

oddly enough, until the media made a relatively big thing of when the draw was, i doubt many people would have actually noticed. its weird how people's attention has to be drawn to it to make it a big thing.

Without putting a bunch of kids on the bench, we struggle to put a team out once a week, without another midweek fixture.

We are just not good in this competition, I dont think it necessarily a case of "not taking it seriously". Virtually every team made multiple changes we weren't the only ones.

Why are we looking at Burton's fixture, wasn't it Newport that beat us? Newport lost to Leeds in the 2nd round, whether we took it seriously or not I really can't see us beating Leeds but if we did we would have got Burnley in the 3rd round.
No we wouldn't. We wouldn't have been in the Northern section to draw Leeds, we would have played someone completely different.

No we wouldn't. We wouldn't have been in the Northern section to draw Leeds, we would have played someone completely different.

Fair enough, I didn't know the League Cup was regional now. Still though the odds of us surviving the 2nd round and then being lucky enough to get a big name in the third round are pretty bad. Given our tiny squad I can see why PB played a weak side.

Also I guess if we had fielded a full X1 and one or two players picked up season ending injuries, the pack of wolves that like to moan on here, would be posting why field a strong team in a tin pot cup

UTS

I assume people not bothered about this competition weren't bothered about us beating Man Utd in 2006. Or Tottenham (albeit going out on away goals) in 1989. or beating Derby in 1987.

It's a competition that affords us the opportunity to have a break from the norm by playing top flight opposition, or visiting grounds we've not played at for years. I'm annoyed that we have such a poor recent record.

Burton swapped with Newport. So, if we had beaten Newport, it would have been us going to Cardiff on Tuesday (new ground for most of you) where we would have probably lost.

I like the League Cup. You can pick up cheap tickets for London games and get to watch a couple of different teams. Tuesday I was at Crystal Palace v Ipswich. One thought, I'd quite like to see Southend play in the next round of a cup competition.....

Also I guess if we had fielded a full X1 and one or two players picked up season ending injuries, the pack of wolves that like to moan on here, would be posting why field a strong team in a tin pot cup

UTS

Perhaps the players shouldn't train any more or try and get match fit -that's where they seem to pick up most injuries.............

Probably time those in power acted powerfully !....cannot understand why clubs enter this comp knowing they will play the stiffs...fans are paying to watch virtual reserve football...that cannot be right.

I would make every club entering field at least 7 players from the previous league game....any sick note nonsense to be met with expulsion and returning off any monies won.

UTS

In order to earn some much needed money and give everyone a lift with a Cup run. On paper we had the best possible draw.

Burton made 7 changes from their previous League game which suggests they weren't taking it that seriously either.

I think we did take it seriously. If you look at the pre-match thread the team that Brown picked was very similar to what people were calling for. You need to give some of the fringe players a chance in this competition, as has been said all other teams made changes too. I also remember getting knocked out by Brighton a few years ago and we certainly took that game seriously and played very well and should have at least took it to extra time (was it a last minute Lua Lua goal?)

I think it's just become a real bogey competition for us in recent years - one of those things hopefully it will turn around soon.

Well remembered, yeah it was August 2015 & Lua Lua scored in the 90th minute. I went to that game, was gutted we lost with nearly the last kick of the ball, so had a few sherries after the match and missed my last train home.

Probably time those in power acted powerfully !....cannot understand why clubs enter this comp knowing they will play the stiffs...fans are paying to watch virtual reserve football...that cannot be right.

I would make every club entering field at least 7 players from the previous league game....any sick note nonsense to be met with expulsion and returning off any monies won.

This is basically what the Checkatrade Trophy does and everyone hates that rule.

Back