• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is basically what the Checkatrade Trophy does and everyone hates that rule.

Very valid point.

Wait until Tuesday's Pre-Match Thread, when we have to face Gillingham again in the Checkatrade Trophy, & everyone posts that same thing, yet the chances are we will get more money out of that then the EFL Cup.

Very valid point.

Wait until Tuesday's Pre-Match Thread, when we have to face Gillingham again in the Checkatrade Trophy, & everyone posts that same thing, yet the chances are we will get more money out of that then the EFL Cup.

In previous years when this was a legitimate cup, then yes. Now it is a poor man's Essex Senior Cup.

I wouldn't even enter a team given a choice.

In previous years when this was a legitimate cup, then yes. Now it is a poor man's Essex Senior Cup.

I wouldn't even enter a team given a choice.

Really YB!... unlike you to stoop so low on a comment Versus the possible financial benefit of the club.

At £10,000 per win in the group stages alone, I would hardly call it a poor mans "Essex Senior Cup".

Anyway off subject, (as this was about the elf cup) and lets save it for for the next Gills pre match thread, when only 500 show up to watch.

Really YB!... unlike you to stoop so low on a comment Versus the possible financial benefit of the club.

At £10,000 per win in the group stages alone, I would hardly call it a poor mans "Essex Senior Cup".

Anyway off subject, (as this was about the elf cup) and lets save it for for the next Gills pre match thread, when only 500 show up to watch.

I happen to think the club's integrity is worth more than £10,000 a group win in some mickey mouse competition that undermines the club's league status.

I happen to think the club's integrity is worth more than £10,000 a group win in some mickey mouse competition that undermines the club's league status.

I think you missed mine and SouthendKid's point...However....Fair enough. Each to their own. After all, this is the whole point of our forum.

Checkatrade you say is a tin pot competition.well how many turned up to Millenium Stadium twice and to Wembley once when we reached the final 3 times,also how many turned up at RH, to see us play both Orient and Brentford just a short while back, i think it has given most of you some good memories and certainly some memories the players will never forget .:happy:

Checkatrade you say is a tin pot competition.well how many turned up to Millenium Stadium twice and to Wembley once when we reached the final 3 times,also how many turned up at RH, to see us play both Orient and Brentford just a short while back, i think it has given most of you some good memories and certainly some memories the players will never forget .:happy:

Although the competition has been somewhat diminished since then with the admission of U23 teams from the top two divisions...

coulnt agree more.Football is all about emotions. In years to come who will remember that we missed the play offs by 1 point last season , compared to memories of Man U, Chelsea, Orient (home and away) Paul Smith vs Brentford, Millenium etc. I assume those who think the cup matches are a 'distraction' don't have fond memories of any of those games.

I want to win every game, and I want us to go as fr as possible in ALL cup competions, every time someone goes on about small squad and injuries you can churn out examples of where a player broke through in the cup OR then confidence in beating a 'big team' had a positive effect on the league matches

Back when it wasn't the PL's play thing. Different circumstances and basis of competitions.

Probably time those in power acted powerfully !....cannot understand why clubs enter this comp knowing they will play the stiffs...fans are paying to watch virtual reserve football...that cannot be right.

I would make every club entering field at least 7 players from the previous league game....any sick note nonsense to be met with expulsion and returning off any monies won.

You might want to be careful of what you wish for. The victory against Man United is often quoted as a reason for taking the League Cup (or whatever its latest sponsor is) seriously. I have not checked and know Ronaldo and Rooney played but did Man Utd have 7 players from their previous league playing that night?

You might want to be careful of what you wish for. The victory against Man United is often quoted as a reason for taking the League Cup (or whatever its latest sponsor is) seriously. I have not checked and know Ronaldo and Rooney played but did Man Utd have 7 players from their previous league playing that night?

No, they had 6 players who featured at Roots Hall appear in both their previous and subsequent Premiership matches.

However the players that did play that day have won 711 full international caps between them.

Great shout. Amazing showing from Smith that night. Odd thing to type, but probably my favourite ever defeat!

Very true. One of the best keeping displays I've ever seen. It was also quite funny as at the start of the game all those Smith haters around me got quieter and quieter as the game went on!

No, they had 6 players who featured at Roots Hall appear in both their previous and subsequent Premiership matches.

However the players that did play that day have won 711 full international caps between them.
Also when Manure beat Roma 7-1 later that season to reach the Champions League Semi Final, 9 of their players appearing had played at Roots Hall.

talking about how many will remeber in years to come that we missed promotion by 1 pointlast season ,i would answer a guess that only about the same amount who remember we also mssed promotion from division 3 south by 1 point back in 1953, Leyton Orient being the team that pipped us .

Back