• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This sums it up for me

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
The Haircut

One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut. After the cut, he asked about his bill, and the barber replied, 'I cannot accept money from you; I'm doing community service this week.' The florist was pleased and left the shop. When the barber went to open his shop the next morning, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door.

Later, a cop comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the barber again replied, 'I cannot accept money from you; I'm doing community service this week.' The cop was happy and left the shop. The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a 'thank you' card and a dozen doughnuts waiting for him at his door.

Then an MP came in for a haircut, and when he went to pay his bill, the barber again replied, 'I cannot accept money from you. I'm doing community service this week.' The MP was very happy and left the shop. The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there were a dozen MPs lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between the citizens of our country and the politicians who run it.

I reckon you have it correct, in an amusing context, for both Southend East and West MPs at present but not ex MP/retired Teddy Taylor; and he has been a blue for many years through thick and thin.

One thing I find quite hard to reconcile amongst the cynicism is why people think people become MPs. They are viewed as a bunch of rich out of touch privileged individuals yet MPs salaries are not that huge compared to many city jobs which these people could get.......

One thing I find quite hard to reconcile amongst the cynicism is why people think people become MPs. They are viewed as a bunch of rich out of touch privileged individuals yet MPs salaries are not that huge compared to many city jobs which these people could get.......

I would argue that the public generally get the politicians they deserve.I wouldn't say we've been getting the bankers we deserve recently though.

Last edited:

Well, old-school MPs usually had a career behind them, either through unions, or through business. Nowadays, you get career politicians. :sad:

They are viewed as a bunch of rich out of touch privileged individuals yet MPs salaries are not that huge compared to many city jobs which these people could get.......

Really? As Napster says, most of them are career politicians. They have only ever worked in the Westminster village (journalist, lobbyist, think tank, researcher, bag carrier, union rep etc etc) and wouldn't stand a chance of getting a job in a major company or setting up their own business.

As for pay, the basic salary isn't great (though still nearly 3 times the median earnings) but the expenses top it up to the equivalent of about £150k gross. The second homes arrangement also allows them to amass property portfolios at the taxpayers' expense.

Add in the most generous pension scheme in the country (backed by the taxpayer) and the "re-settlement" grants and you'll find that 99% would be taking a pay cut if they looked elsewhere.

Back