• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know it's fashionable to bitch and moan about the Premier League and everything it stands (or doesn't) for but, despite it's money-centric nature, it's always been about the talent for me. As someone who just loves Sport at the highest level, it's got the drama, characters, skills, high stakes and appeal.

All hail my Southend United, but this year has been a fantastic spectacle so far:

Post-Fergie and the drama of Man Utd turning into Everton
The God-given talent and inherent flaws of Luis Suarez (a hattrick of hattricks against Norwich)
West Ham struggling
The resurrection of Wenger after being written off by most in the Summer
The return of Mourinho
Southampton punching above their weight (endorsing their 'unpopular' Pochettino decision)
Newcastle close to sacking Pardew then going on a crazy winning streak
West Ham not doing very well
Roberto Martinez proving himself at Everton after leaving Wigan
Joe Hart not making the first eleven
Four points separating places 2 through 7

With the World Cup to come, it looks like it'll continue to be a cracking season.

I know it's fashionable to bitch and moan about the Premier League and everything it stands (or doesn't) for but, despite it's money-centric nature, it's always been about the talent for me. As someone who just loves Sport at the highest level, it's got the drama, characters, skills, high stakes and appeal.

All hail my Southend United, but this year has been a fantastic spectacle so far:

The God-given talent and inherent flaws of Luis Suarez (a hattrick of hattricks against Norwich)
West Ham struggling
The return of Mourinho
Southampton punching above their weight (endorsing their 'unpopular' Pochettino decision)

With the World Cup to come, it looks like it'll continue to be a cracking season.

I think you missed West Ham not doing very well.

West Ham struggling
The return of Mourinho

I think you missed West Ham not doing very well.

:thump:

Try again.

Got to admit it is much more exciting than last season. Just to add a couple more things:

Di Canio getting sacked after a hilariously poor start.
West Ham near the relegation zone.
Stoke finally changing their style of play.
Ian Holloway getting sacked too.
Stuart O'Keefe and Gary Hooper scoring too.
Suarez hasn't attacked anyone in 10 games (must be a record for him!)
West Ham could get relegated.
Anyone from 1st to 9th could get in the top 4.
Did I mention West Ham are doing crap?

I negged Ricey and everything!:blush:

Don't worry about it, these things happen.

Donut! I +'d him so all in merry again in the world of SZ.

Cheers :smile:

One of the biggest things for me this year in the premier league was the amazing signing Arsenal managed to pull of with Mesut Özil. In a time when people were saying we couldn't attract big names and Arsenal never spend money Arsene pulls off the signing of the year possibly the best signing since he signed Thierry Henry. How he managed to pull it off still baffles me to this day. Also with a name like Özil playing in the prem will attract even more exciting names into England.

One of the biggest things for me this year in the premier league was the amazing signing Arsenal managed to pull of with Mesut Özil. In a time when people were saying we couldn't attract big names and Arsenal never spend money Arsene pulls off the signing of the year possibly the best signing since he signed Thierry Henry. How he managed to pull it off still baffles me to this day. Also with a name like Özil playing in the prem will attract even more exciting names into England.

Really? Ozil was on the verge of being frozen out at Madrid after they signed the likes of Bale, Isco and Illarramendi and both his father and agent had been touting him to the Premier League for the best part of a month before Arsenal were finally able to tempt him to sign on, and that was only after breaking their wage structure to do so. I wouldn't say Ozil's presence is likely to tempt other big names to join the Premier League either, it's far more likely to have something to do with the fact that the re-negotiated television rights package enabling even more finance to be lavished on new signings.

I'd say the biggest draw to the Premier League this year is the complete change of narrative. Most clubs thought to be challenging for the title had changed managers while Arsenal were forced to overcome their own shortcomings and problems. Couple that with the obligatory surprise packages in Southampton, Aaron Ramsey, Martinez's Everton and to a certain extent Hull, then you have plenty worth talking about.

I've a feeling the narrative will change again in January though, particularly if United do indeed slam tens of millions of pounds to support Moyes and bring in some renowned talent. They'll need it... I caught the second half of the Newcastle game at the weekend and that's certainly the least impressive Manchester United team of my lifetime.

Not sure how true this is, but there was something doing the rounds that Real Madrid had offered out Ozil to Man Utd and they said they weren't interested. There were quite a few players linked with them, especially midfielders, including Thiago so it could have been journalists putting 2 and 2 together for most of the summer.

Not sure how true this is, but there was something doing the rounds that Real Madrid had offered out Ozil to Man Utd and they said they weren't interested. There were quite a few players linked with them, especially midfielders, including Thiago so it could have been journalists putting 2 and 2 together for most of the summer.

It wasn't Madrid, it was Ozil's father and he effectively admitted it publicly towards the end of the window and his hunt for a new club got a bit frantic. United weren't overly impressed by his wage demands nor the price they'd have to pay, and decided to pass with the likes of Kagawa already at the club.

I'm as cynical about the Premier League as the rest of us but this season is shaping up to be one of the most fascinating title races for years with Man U struggling and the resurgence of Arsenal and Liverpool. All the big teams are dropping points so I think it'll go down to the wire. I think Man U are pretty much out of the running already but this was always going to be a transitional year and it might teach some of their fans what being a real football fan is about. I think it'll be between Arsenal, Chelsea and City, as Liverpool don't have the depth and with Sturridge injured and Gerrard out for the next few weeks they might struggle over the festive period. If Arsenal can keep their key players fit and get Walcott back flying there's no reason why they can't win it. Chelsea still lack a striker and Man City are a bit leaky at the back and don't have a settled team. It's going to be an interesting relegation battle too with Pulis starting well at Palace. West Sham could be in danger unless they sign a decent striker in January.

The only time I'll be even marginally interested in the Premiershite is when Southend are promoted to it. Until then I can't give a rats arse what happens.

So, when we finally make it, if someone would be so kind as to dig me up and put me in front of a TV I'd be eternally grateful.

I know it's not PL, but did anyone see Rio Ferdinand's 'performance' last night?! Holy ****. Off to the glue factory!

I know it's not PL, but did anyone see Rio Ferdinand's 'performance' last night?! Holy ****. Off to the glue factory!

Aye, that's his Neville vs West Brom moment. I'll be astonished if he's around next season.

Incidentally, United said to be looking at Porto's Mangala and St Etienne's Kurt Zouma, both defenders being absolute concrete ****houses. Haven't seen much (apart from the odd snide Youtube highlights package) of Zouma, but Mangala looks a very decent prospect. Funnily enough he's just signed with Jorge Mendes...

Aye, that's his Neville vs West Brom moment. I'll be astonished if he's around next season.

Incidentally, United said to be looking at Porto's Mangala and St Etienne's Kurt Zouma, both defenders being absolute concrete ****houses. Haven't seen much (apart from the odd snide Youtube highlights package) of Zouma, but Mangala looks a very decent prospect. Funnily enough he's just signed with Jorge Mendes...

Sound like good prospects.

I'd love Moyes to just commit to Jones at CB for teh season, and give him a chance to settle down. He was immense yesterday in the DCM role but I think he can offer more as a CB really. Smalling - Jones - Evans/Vidic - Evra should be Moyes' first choice defence

Sound like good prospects.

I'd love Moyes to just commit to Jones at CB for teh season, and give him a chance to settle down. He was immense yesterday in the DCM role but I think he can offer more as a CB really. Smalling - Jones - Evans/Vidic - Evra should be Moyes' first choice defence

Smalling over Rafael? Not for me, Rafael's the best right-back in the league in my opinion and when fit one of the best defenders in Europe. Smalling's future is definitely at centre half, but I'm unconvinced that it's Jones' best position. He seems to have come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months playing as a holding midfielder and he isn't lacking any of the requisite attributes to make that position his own.

Back