• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

AndyT

Lord of the Reedy River
I searched through and couldn't find if we did this last season, so here's my one and only visit :-

Saturday 25th November 1995 - Oldham Athletic 0-1 Southend United

We went up for the weekend and stayed overnight in Blackpool.

The only goal of the game came from a Phil Gridelet hooked ball forward and down the right to Dave Regis, who drove a first time cross in for Gary Jones, who was sliding in at the far post to bury it, when Ian Snodin got there first and diverted it into his own net. :happy:

Not a bad ground. We were behind the goal and high up to the right, if you are looking from pitch level.

Was an excellent pub we went in before the game, which the Police at the ground recommended for us.:cool:

I've just tried Googling it, but it doesn't appear to be there any more.:sad:

My first ever visit to Oldham Athletic was on Tuesday March 3rd.1970. This was in fact Arthur Rowley's first match in charge of the Blues having been given the Southend job a couple of days earlier taking over from Ernie Shepherd who was acting as caretaker boss having replaced Geoff Hudson in January. The match ended in a 3-0 defeat(we were lucky to get nil & former Blue Jim Fryatt scored the first goal)it was the 10th of 12 consecutive away defeats & it was our third away match in a week going from Port Vale lost 3-0 to Exeter City lost 3-0 then on to Oldham which again ended in a 3-0 defeat, mind you this was a slight improvement on the previous fixture a 5-0 drubbing at WORKINGTON!!! on a Friday night, my only consolation being given a lift home on the player's coach. After the Oldham match we lost our next two away games at Aldershot 2-1 & Notts County 2-0 before winning at Peterborough by 4-3 with Billy Best grabbing all four goals. In fact Billy Best ended that season by scoring 11 goals in the last 8 matches. I also returned the following season 1970-71 when we were beaten 2-0 so it's over 46 years since my last visit and I have little incentive to go again as it really is such a cold place and at my age(66) with my blood thinning I need to stay warm at this time of the year. For all those who are going wrap up warm and hopefully you will come back with 3 points. Finally going back to my first visit in March 1970, nothing much happened in the game itself but the only thing of note that I can remember was on the way from Manchester to Oldham the diesel train was going very very slow and it suddenly ground to a halt, the driver then climbed down from his cab and removed what appeared to be a dead dog from the track. "Oh Happy Days". P.S. Looking back at the away fixtures from that season none of the following matches were played on a Saturday:- Brentford(LC twice); Shrewsbury(LC); Bradford City(LC); Brentford; Scunthorpe; Gillingham(FAC); Chester; Crewe; Workington; Port Vale; Oldham; Notts County & Chesterfield, a total of fourteen mid-week matches.

Remember the game last season - 5-2 it was - Mooney with an offside goal and Atkinson up the other end amongst the scorers along with Payne, Prosser and Worrall - all 3 gone their separate ways of course.

Strange thing about this game was that we (the away fans) were in the home end and the "traditional" end was now for home supporters.

Also remember a 1-0 win with Richards sent off (wrongly - red card appeal successful a few days later) and we hung on for most of the game.

And there was a 1-0 defeat I think when we were struggling at the bottom of Division 2. That chap from Celtic played for us and missed a glorious chance to put us ahead after only a couple of minutes - at that time I did not know about the rumours of his drinking exploits and it just seemed the sort of luck that relegation teams get.

Last time I went, last game of the season a few years ago. Already relegated to league 2, drew 2-2 with Flahavan on loan in goal for Oldham

I remember wining 2-0 at Oldham in one of Steve Thompson first games in charge he played Keith Dublin up front which was a genius move not because he was a great striker but it kept him well away from the defense, my best two memories that night one was the drive in horrible conditions across Saddleworth moor and the fans that did make the journey up there on a Tuesday night all singing...we're **** but we're beating you we're **** but we're beating you....made it a fun night out, can't remember who scored I think Gary Jones may have got them both but it was along time ago...

Oldham away 2008/9, last away game of the season so traditional fancy dress wear - beach party on the terrace and all the dancing and singing that involved. My one and only time to Oldham. We drew 1-1, with Barney scoring.

Was it not an Oldham FA Cup replay with a trip to Anfield at stake when Bilel started his descent into madness and the end of his SUFC career?

Was it not an Oldham FA Cup replay with a trip to Anfield at stake when Bilel started his descent into madness and the end of his SUFC career?

Yes - good point. A lot of anger directed towards Bilel as a result of that sending off if my memory serves me right.

I remember wining 2-0 at Oldham in one of Steve Thompson first games in charge he played Keith Dublin up front which was a genius move not because he was a great striker but it kept him well away from the defense, my best two memories that night one was the drive in horrible conditions across Saddleworth moor and the fans that did make the journey up there on a Tuesday night all singing...we're **** but we're beating you we're **** but we're beating you....made it a fun night out, can't remember who scored I think Gary Jones may have got them both but it was along time ago...

That was a cracker of a night. I won the raffle on the coach, won a free ticket in the pub and we won a game no one thought we would. We were dead buried and had RELEGATED stamped all over this. It was this game that started the run and Tommo kept us up.

Only time I went there was the Fa Cup 2nd Round replay Moshni game. Prize was a trip to Anfield. Moshni does 3 really bad tackles in the 1st 30 minutes and is sent off. Despite being down to 10 men we only lose 1-0. That was the ultimate 'What if' game. The players were so annoyed with Moshni they wouldn't allow in on the team coach for the trip home

Both of those videos show the ground with one side "undeveloped" (just as it used to be at Preston and Barnsley (largely)). Another change is that the end with the "beach party" is now the home end and the other end is for away supporters (well it was last season).

Saturday 25th November 1995 - Oldham Athletic 0-1 Southend United

Was an excellent pub we went in before the game, which the Police at the ground recommended for us.:cool:

I've just tried Googling it, but it doesn't appear to be there any more.:sad:

With thanks to 'Rigsby' on the Match Report and Ratings Thread, I can remove those tight shoes.

It was called The Greyhound and is still there! :cool:

Back