• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Those were the days. . .

rabbloke

Coach
Top this;
                  Mervyn Cawston
Micky Stead   Dave Cusack  Alan Moody  Chris Powell

Colin Morris    Mark Bentley  Mike Marsh   Anton Otulakowski

Stan Collymore  Richie Cadette

subs: Simon Royce  Spencer Prior  Ron Poutney  Bill Garner
        Derek Spence

They were all great players and great characters. None of them turned up just to collect their wages. Crowd pleasers and professionals. Where are the new ones going to come from. Yes I do think that highly of Bentley.

Excellent squad, but can't we squeeze in Terry Johnson, Billy Best, and David Crown?

And Mario Walsh.

rock.gif

Could squeeze them in, but they would only be in the squad in case of injuries. Great trio of players though. With a bit of thought there are a host of others. For a lower league club Southend has had an outstanding number of good players through the years. I dont feel many of their contempories are up to the mark. I should also say sorry to Paul 'The Viking' Clark. Mr.110%. I enjoyed his firebrand football but he too sadly was a near miss.

Not Manager but management team. Dave Smith and Steve Tilson. Paul Brush as coach with Frankie Banks.

Mario Walsh?! MARIO WALSH?!

Has the sun finally got to you, OS?!!

WS

Howabout a worst XI as well? I'd nominate Eric Steele, Barry Silkman, Gary Poole, Andy Polycarpou, Tony Richards, Chris Ramsey, Richard Young, and of course Mario Walsh amongst others, and all led by the dastardly combination of Dick Bate and Peter Morris.

WS

Spot on with Dick Bate and Peter Morris. I would have to include the Peterborough thunderbolt, Greig Shepherd. Breathtaking pace, not a clue how to play football. John Walker who left to become a copper. Carl Emberson. Well there are many more but I liked Andy Polycarpou and the goal of the season he scored in the 5 - 3 win over Swindon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 14 2004,10:25)]Spot on with Dick Bate and Peter Morris.  I would have to include the Peterborough thunderbolt, Greig Shepherd. Breathtaking pace, not a clue how to play football. John Walker who left to become a copper. Carl Emberson. Well there are many more but I liked Andy Polycarpou and the goal of the season he scored in the 5 - 3 win over Swindon.
Andy Polycarpou??? Maybe not a candidate for Best Team, but certainly not one of the worst either, WS. Did he nick your Girlfriend once?

biggrin.gif

I would bring Anton Otulakowski into the BestTeam subs, just for the fun of hearing the Tannoy guy mangle his name.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 14 2004,11:17)]Mario Walsh?! MARIO WALSH?!

Has the sun finally got to you, OS?!!

WS
Mario Walsh was a dedicated professional and just lacked that final touch to take him to the top and international recognition. If you can't see that, Mike, then I have to judge your knowledge of the bootifull (really bootifull) game.

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ Aug. 14 2004,10:25)]Spot on with Dick Bate and Peter Morris.  I would have to include the Peterborough thunderbolt, Greig Shepherd. Breathtaking pace, not a clue how to play football. John Walker who left to become a copper. Carl Emberson. Well there are many more but I liked Andy Polycarpou and the goal of the season he scored in the 5 - 3 win over Swindon.
Greig Shepard also joined the old Bill in Cambridgeshire about 1992. Dont know if he is still there.

On my worst team ...i would have Derek Payne in the heart of the Midfield and cristian Hyslop in the heart of defence....Or maybe Mark Hone

I forgot to include Danny Greaves in my all time worst. Played like his father does now. Had a younger brother, alan I think, looked better did nothing. Of other brothers that were here, Jeff Hull and again I think his brother was called Alan. Jeff was really good, seem to remember jim sustaining a career finishing injury. Shame. Anyone know any other brothers?

Back