• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WESTY_SUFC

Before Tilson we were a poor league 2 side with a average League 2 budget playing poor quality football. What have we got now? Exactly the same

Not really, Tilly's time came to an end and his side went down without a whimper in that final relegation season (despite all the issues). That side should not have been relegated. Steve Tilson will always be a legend, but despite some great great memories, he made lots of mistakes too.

Sturrock was the right appointment at that time as through his sheer reputation and contacts within the game, he managed to build a side that comfortably survived and maintained our league status, I really believe that Tilly would not have been able to do this.

The second season, Sturrock's side topped the table and enjoyed decent cup runs but after Xmas it fell away and the sheer lack of discipline within Sturrock's Camp inevitably cost us a chance of promotion when we should have been out of site.

This failure was horrendous when you consider he was backed in January when PS made some awful signings in the first week of Janaury. Despite the failure, he deserved another chance this season but it has just got worse.....

Maybe, just maybe, the Sturrock era has run it's course. I fear we may be sinking fast in a weak league.

Pointless post move on!

its not pointless when you have been told that you are wrong when you have been proved correct.

It pains me to watch what am now when we had a real Southend man in charge who took the the club so far forward with entertaining football until the budget was taken away from him far more so than Sturrock has now.

Not really, Tilly's time came to an end and his side went down without a whimper in that final relegation season (despite all the issues). That side should not have been relegated. Steve Tilson will always be a legend, but despite some great great memories, he made lots of mistakes too.

Sturrock was the right appointment at that time as through his sheer reputation and contacts within the game, he managed to build a side that comfortably survived and maintained our league status, I really believe that Tilly would not have been able to do this.

The second season, Sturrock's side topped the table and enjoyed decent cup runs but after Xmas it fell away and the sheer lack of discipline within Sturrock's Camp inevitably cost us a chance of promotion when we should have been out of site.

This failure was horrendous when you consider he was backed in January when PS made some awful signings in the first week of Janaury. Despite the failure, he deserved another chance this season but it has just got worse.....

Maybe, just maybe, the Sturrock era has run it's course. I fear we may be sinking fast in a weak league.

Again agree with all of that.

Tilly did a great job at the start and did a poor job at the end. We were right to move on and whilst I will always be grateful to Tilly I think he has shown that he isn't much of a manager. He did well and was helped by an inspired Freddy signing and inheriting Gower, Darryl etc but I don't think he could get us any further.

errrr tilly took us down to league 2 unless I missed something (I know there were massive probs etc) so the FACT is that freddy oops I mean tilly took us up to the CCC but then he took us back down to where he started

errrr tilly took us down to league 2 unless I missed something (I know there were massive probs etc) so the FACT is that freddy oops I mean tilly took us up to the CCC but then he took us back down to where he started

but we have Freddy now too ooooooops he doesnt start

To be fair, I want to see Freddy starting and being involved because if he gets fit, he will be a class act for us. However I am also realistic and sadly concede to the obvious, he will never get anywhere near the heights he achieved before.

shall we talk about the relegation from league 1 - sensibly - with a few facts we can agree on .....

Tilly did a great job at the start and did a poor job at the end. We were right to move on and whilst I will always be grateful to Tilly I think he has shown that he isn't much of a manager. He did well and was helped by an inspired Freddy signing and inheriting Gower, Darryl etc but I don't think he could get us any further.

UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!! how could he take us "any further" when he only 11 pros none of whom were getting paid - purlease don't tell me to swallow that heap of *****

shall we talk about the relegation from league 1 - sensibly - with a few facts we can agree on .....

I know full well what happened in that season and for the record I worship Tilly as a player/manager/bloke but the one fact that does not need any agreement is that we were in league two when tilly took over and in league two when he went, the original post suggests we are where we are now because tilly went.......surely its obvious that isnt the case

he is a crock now who needs to shed half a stone where as in his first spell he was a lean mean awsome goal machine, quite simple really

Sturrock wouldnt have signed the old Freddy either. He wouldnt have suited his style of play. He could of signed him easily but he didnt didnt he!

Doom and gloom, trouble at mill, the end is nigh! I think people need to give it a month and see where things are before getting the jitters. I slammed PS last season because I felt/feel his style lost us promotion. This is a new season and I respect him for the changes he has made with style and personnel. The side is inconsistent but that can remedy itself.

We have had umpteen injuries and suspensions and that has more than damaged the progression of the team. I have the belief that it will come together and be fighting hard at the right end of the table.

Quite hard to form a style of play when you don't have the resources to create a central midfield, the core to any side.

Would just love to know who we will get in that is better than Sturrock. Sure we're a right attractive proposition for a whole host of managers, in and out of embargos, unable to pay wages and a set of fans who will turn on you after the slightest failure.

As I said in the other thread, last night we were only a penalty kick away from what would have likely been three points. Things aren't going for us right now. From what I've read on here I wouldn't be surprised if the players haven't been paid and as such we are seeing a repeat of the effort that got us relegated from League One. Something isn't right but how that blame can be passed on to Sturrock I do not know.

I will go on record saying that if Sturrock leaves then that is it for our season. If he stays and is able to bring in some quality to the midfield then I still believe we can have a successful year.

This all said, if Sturrock hasn't delivered by the end of the year then change might need to be considered. I say considered because there would need to be the possibility of replacing him with a decent manager, something I doubt we are likely to attract. An internal appointment may be the way forward I feel. Step up the Cough.

I read your threads this morning concerning the game and also coughlan post match interview ,where he said some of the players do not like playing at RH.I must admit i was almost in tears reading that.Most of these players should remember SUFC have given them another chance at league football and should be busting their guts out for the club and themselves,If had Coughlan says they dont like playing at RH then my advice to them is to leave, SUFC has the right manager for the job , he has experience , a top past record and respect from other managers and past players.RM should stay out of the signing of new players and allow PS to get the players he needs, if then PS fails then you can point the finger, until then the supporters should not BOO THE PLAYERS , please support them both in good times and bad times , perhaps then they will love RH. go the blues!!

Gone are the days of Tilly and I hated it when he left but the club are 3 years down the line since then and are we really any better off............. still in a financial mess, still no news re stadium and playing worse at roots hall under the current crop of players than what we were with a squad who hadnt been paid in months.

I will always be thankful to Tilly he had a great spell with us but that time has gone, we need to get out of this mess and it's time for a change. PS Must go

Back