• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Outclassed and outplayed.

As good as Tottenham were I was really disappointed with the performance today. We were so out of our depth it was embarrassing at times. Clueless when we had the ball and at sixes and sevens in defence when they came at us. Individually I thought the defenders did OK (bar Hunt) with tackles and blocks but we were cut to shreds time and time again as a defensive unit.

Maher and McCormack battled hard but created nothing. Gower was anonymous and JCR seemed way off the pace.

Bradbury battled away as ever but he has nothing to threaten a Premiership defence. Eastwood does but looks a shadow of the player he was last season - good pen though.

Sorry to sound so negative but just feel very disappointed that we didn't make more of a game of it. We certainly looked two divisions apart.

Pretty reasonable summary tbh. Hunt, Gower, Bradbury were way out of their depth and were poor today. Was impressed with Barrett, Clarke, McCormack and of course Daryl but was dissapointed with the all round EFFORT.

If we had played like that but the players looked like they were going to fight for the result then it wouldn't have been so bad.

Have to agree. Getting to stage where I hope Fred will go before the end of the transfer window, he sure can't be bothered any more can he?

I think the disappointing thing was that we played so much better there a few weeks ago. I'm massively disappointed with the way it went but then I've spoken to a couple of Spurs fans who were there and a neutral and they all seemed to think we did ok.

We just couldn't create anything. Their keeper didn't look much good but we never put him under pressure. Eastwood looked the only threat we had.

Fair play to Spurs who played well and finished clinically. They got the tactics spot on though - they were so much more direct than in thre Carling Cup and Aaron Lennon made a huge difference. They ran at us from all angles and when they weren't running through they were threading through-balls in behind us. We did well to keep the score down, really.

pretty much how I saw the game. I had great optimism when I heard the Spurs team announced even though it still contained some quality players. I really fancied at least a draw but we never got going at them and made it very easy for them at times with poor passing & sloppy play all round.

I thought Harold made quite a difference when he came on - created the penalty with his first involvement and put himself about. It was a good pen from Fred but as is ofyen the case at the moment he was on the fringes for too long a period of the game.

Still, it was a great atmosphere with some good banter between the fans and another good day out. Back to the real business on Tuesday night - come on you Blues!!

Have to agree. Getting to stage where I hope Fred will go before the end of the transfer window, he sure can't be bothered any more can he?

Thats harsh. Particularly as I've just seen that you weren't even at the game. (EDIT - my apologies if you saw the game over the net....)

There was nothing wrong with Eastwood's workrate today.

Last edited:
I was watching it on SA tv and said exactly the same in the SZ chat room.

There is no disgrace in being beaten by a Premiership side with the quality of Spurs but I too was angry at the way in which we gave the ball away so cheaply at times and didn't seem to have that 'get stuck in' attitude I was expecting.

What really stood out for me was our lack of pace when in possession and going forward. It seemed time and time again we'd get to the half way line or just forward of it, stop, play the square ball and try and walk it into the final third of the pitch and even when we managed that, once there, no one had a clue as to what to do with it. The killer movement & ball were sadly lacking again.

If this was against a mid table Championship side I'd be absolutely seething so considering who the opposition were, being overly critical is perhaps a tad unfair.

have to pretty much agree - Spurs were in a different class and sometimes made us look embaressing. To be honest to come away with 3-1 defeat has flattered us a bit. Thought it was more a 6 or 7-1 game to be honest. When they attacked with pace it was frightening. A few great saves and quite a few frantic blocks saved us a bit. With Freddie looking a different player nowdays we hardly look a threat up front. The last few days of the transfer window and we need to come up with something.

I was also disappointed with the way we played. Spurs came at us right from the off and it seemed to scare us somewhat.

JCR was more concerned about what Lennon was doing which took his threat away after a good start when it looked as if he had the measure of Lee. Gower was again sub standard. The problem Freddy and Bradbury had was that the service to them was thin and far between. Why on earth did we hit so many balls in the air towards Freddy. When was the last time he won a header against a centre half!?

Oh, and well done to Rob Styles for keeping up his record as the most tedious referee in the country. What an absolute egotistical **** that man is.

Thought we were worst thing about today, we hardly made a noise apart for five minutes after we scored, never been to an away game and had the home fans singing shall we sing a song for you.........where were we

Thats harsh. Particularly as I've just seen that you weren't even at the game.

There was nothing wrong with Eastwood's workrate today.

True, wasn't there but watched all 90mins via Internet TV, but we all know he's not the player he was last season.

Oh, and well done to Rob Styles for keeping up his record as the most tedious referee in the country. What an absolute egotistical **** that man is.

At least he gave us a very, very, very dubious penalty.

I swear it was Matt Harrold who handballed it.

True, wasn't there but watched all 90mins via Internet TV, but we all know he's not the player he was last season.

As I editted above, I forgot that it was being shown on the net so you have every right to make that observation.

I don't think you're right, to be fair. He's seeing very little of the ball but I don't think theres any difference in his workrate from last season. I'm sure his belief isn't quite as high as it was then but then thats the same of everyone in the squad and that comes from being bottom of the league instead of top of it.

Lets be honest, Freddy Eastwood is the least of our problems.

Last edited:
Just got back and have to agree

Outclassed unfortunately

Outsung

Maher getting the ball, only the keeper to beat...and like the practice before the game shooting high

The pace and counterattacking of Spurs players was frightening

I thought it was a weaker Spurs side as well when I saw the teamsheet

I guess it comes from not getting the service from midfield.

Onwards and upwards Shrimpers, we've got a league ladder to climb.

Have to agree with the comments here - we simply weren't good enough, and if we do stay up, a lot of the players will have to be replaced... including Gower, Barrett et al...

On the positive side at least Sunderland will be on the Saturday rather than a Tuesday night for the "regular" away fans

If this was against a mid table Championship side I'd be absolutely seething so considering who the opposition were, being overly critical is perhaps a tad unfair.

Yes, but against a mid table Championshiop side we'd maybe get a 0-0 with a performance like that, or an "unlucky" 1-0 loss, and we'd all take heart with another "battling" performance. It's a lacky of quality that's cost us this season and as much as I love the guy, Tilly saying "we gave it our all" again today does annoy me. Battling alone will not keep us up.

We know what a tough job it is to bring quality players to our club but I hope somehow Tilly and Brush manage it before end of January. Without a couple of very shrewd singnings I really fear the worst.

Yes, but against a mid table Championshiop side we'd maybe get a 0-0 with a performance like that, or an "unlucky" 1-0 loss, and we'd all take heart with another "battling" performance. It's a lacky of quality that's cost us this season and as much as I love the guy, Tilly saying "we gave it our all" again today does annoy me. Battling alone will not keep us up.

We know what a tough job it is to bring quality players to our club but I hope somehow Tilly and Brush manage it before end of January. Without a couple of very shrewd singnings I really fear the worst.

I agree CP and I also agree about the quotes made by Tilly but as we all know he never has been one to criticize the players in any way in the media - Brushy on the other hand :D The worst I have ever heard Tilly say is "We just weren't at the races today".

I do worry about the lack of movement on the signings front as we only have until Wednesday midnight and if by some miracle we do manage to hold onto our Championship status this season the lack of transfer activity this period certainly doesn't bode well for the closed season window.

Spurs came right at us early on and pegged us back and we never really got into it. They had much more pace than us going forward and we just couldn't get the ball off Lennon. Before the match when I saw the team I thought we had a chance because it was arguably weaker than the Carling Cup team but after what happened in that match Spurs clearly had a plan and it worked.
Can't pick a MoTM.

We've had our fun in the cups now time to focus on staying up.

Back