• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend4eva

First XI⭐
Newman, East Pilbara, Western Australia, Australia
My trip to finally see Southend live, is now officially done and dusted, but the memories will live on.

Made possible by an amazing 16 year old son, who spent his hard earned savings on tickets and my beautiful wife who encourage it and covered the accommodation and spending money... :thumbsup: For a wife with 7 kids, that's a huge gift to her husband. :omg::thumbsup::smile::happy:

The highlights for me was just being in Southend and meeting the people who have such passion for their club.
It was why I chose the Club in the first place: local club, with local people who live and bleed their club.

It was such a buzz walking around Southend and taking a picture of me with every sign that spoke of the Shrimpers:smile:.
Finally getting to the ground for the first time and getting a tour by Ryan was just first class... What a top bloke he is!

Actually standing on the ground, sitting in the dugout and on Ron's match-day seat: all too good.
Walking down the players tunnel, meeting the various staff and buying out the club shop was surreal.

Meeting the CEO who got a call from Phil Brown while I was there and put me onto to have a chat was just top shelf.
Getting a write up in the match day program for the hull game was also another feel good moment.

Loved the away teams change room.
It gave me great pleasure watching the Hull game, knowing what awaited them both at halftime and the end of a game: must have really messed with some of their heads :smile:

Of course actually sitting in the West stand, as a fan with the fans was an incredible.
Being able to chant: "Come on Southend, , come one Southend" or "Sea sea seasiders," or "Yeeelllooowwwsss," and the rest..hahaha:loyalsupporter:

Sitting on the coach for the Daggers game, with so many good people was just awesome.
Though I did the typical Aussie thing by testing their patience, by leaving my tickets behind and without a blink they rushed me to the the guest house to get them.:thumbsup:
I did have to promise not to talk cricket! :winking:

The Shrimpers Trust meeting on a wet Thursday night with a few diehards was a real treat.
Hearing from Ricky Duncan, Teddy Smith and another young youth coach was inspiring, accompanied with the appropriate pics and quick chats, just topped it all of.

Crome the Newport game and feeling the angst of whether it would calked of was a good test.
Getting to sit in the dugout with and watch the players warmup, was like being a kid again and was just a great touch.
I managed to get a pic with Justin Edinburgh and another with Sammy the Shrimper.

But as I said from the start it was the people that made it special.

A big thinks to the Zone, who met me in the spread eagle, courtesy of Ken and paid for the tickets to the Hull game.

For OBL, who just went out of her way, time and again to make sure a great time: covering the tickets for the trust coach, lifts home after the AGM and the drive to get my forgotten tickets... Hahaha thank you so much.

Chris Phillips also deserves a mention who contested me regularly, put a great article in the echo of our trip and game and chatted to me for a good twenty minutes at the daggers game: after that charity walk... wow! First rate mate!

The hugest thanks to BB, who gave me an instant Southend collection of old and significant programmes, Man U and Chelsea/southend scarves, the best Jacket from about 20 years ago and so much more.

Also to "up the Shrimpers" for picking me up and dropping me at the airport and just generally talking together nonstop about all things SUFC... You legend!

Another nice touch was Ed at the Pierview Guesthouse, where I stayed who gave my son and I southend scarves and key rings, as a welcome to Southend gift.

As you can see not only did I have the best time ever, but we support a great club, with even greater people, from a town with a huge heart.

Thank you everyone who sent me messages and said hello.
You will not be forgotten and will always be appreciated for making my dream come true.
UTB's:loyalsupporter:

Glad you had a such a great time southend4eva. You obviously have a great family. Gutted for you that you didn't see us win, and you got such bad weather. Glad you were made to feel so welcome tho, and made some new friends, and you never know, you may be back one day.:smiles:

I guarantee that wearing your SUFC shirt around Oz will get you to the attention of other Shrimpers. There are loads out there and a few years ago met a few just by wearing my shirt as sun cover on the beaches at Surfers and Manly. Have a good journey home mate. You should post a few pics of where the shirt gets to and we could have a thread of "places a SUFC shirt visits" type thing, loads of posters on here must wear theirs in interesting places!

I guarantee that wearing your SUFC shirt around Oz will get you to the attention of other Shrimpers. There are loads out there and a few years ago met a few just by wearing my shirt as sun cover on the beaches at Surfers and Manly. Have a good journey home mate. You should post a few pics of where the shirt gets to and we could have a thread of "places a SUFC shirt visits" type thing, loads of posters on here must wear theirs in interesting places!

There is a thread buried on here somewhere dedicated to exactly that. Should try to dig that out later.

Glad you enjoyed the three matches southend4eva. Shame we didn't win but at least the rain didn't cause any of the games to be postponed, that would have been a killer.

Safe journey home.

Glad you enjoyed it, but shame we couldn't get a win for you though. Rained for a whole week and now it is sunny, sod's law!

Safe trip back and enjoy the rest of your travels. :thumbsup:

John, it was an absolute pleasure, though I think it's Kev you need to be thanking for the lifts, especially the unorthodox method he used to get you to the guest house to get your Daggers tickets! And it was the Trust that were honoured to stand you the travel as a member. Your face when I asked if you'd got your tickets....I'll never forget it, I was sure you were winding me up!

It was (to coin a phrase) "awesome" to meet you and Michael and to see the delight on your face time and time again at all that went on. You have an amazing family and a thoroughly infectious enthusiasm for our club. It really was a total pleasure.

Enjoy your time in Canada and the States, and safe travelling till you're back home when I trust we'll see some photos of your visit in due course. And, I'm also pleased to say that I DO know who Nobbler is now! :winking:

UTB :loyalsupporter:

Glad you had a great time, would have nice to win one oft those games.

Credit to everyone who went out of their way to give you such a good impression!

Hi John & Michael, Glad you got away okay & you enjoyed your week living the dream that I have been lucky enough to have had for over 50 years. It was a real pleasure to have got to meet you and to learn about you lovely family. Sadly we were unable to win for you but with all that poor weather it was remarkable that you managed to see the 3 matches. Glad you liked the bits that I gave you especially the vintage coat. Take care on your travelling around the States/Canada.
Looking forward to hearing from you in the future.
P.S. I now know who the "Old Blue Lady" is and that is down to you.

Glad you and your son enjoyed your time over here mate.Great you follow us from Australia when there is the lure of much bigger clubs.:smile:

Back