• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What makes you proud to be a fan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napster

No ⭐
Second part:

What makes you proud to be a Southend fan - this is a double edged question, really, why support us and not someone else?

I've gone for 'A' as it is the closest to my reason, which is that it is the team of my hometown and I believe everyone should support their home team. If you must, you can show interest in one other club of your choice, but not with your heart.

Second part:

What makes you proud to be a Southend fan - this is a double edged question, really, why support us and not someone else?

I really think in all honesty I could have been a fan of any club I was taken to. I am glad my Dad was too cheap to take me to West Ham (my families club) and I was taken to Roots Hall and fell in love with the Shrimpers, I like being different

Tough choice between 'long history' & 'not a big side'

'long history', because it's nice to be able to remind the armchair west ham, man utd fans etc, that you go regularly(ish) & are not like them, an armchair fan.

And 'not a big side' because, lets be honest, how much fun was/is it still, to crow into the faces of said arm chair Man Utd fans, that little old Southend (whoooo?) beat them

T
And 'not a big side' because, lets be honest, how much fun was/is it still, to crow into the faces of said arm chair Man Utd fans, that little old Southend (whoooo?) beat them

It is fun. But I'd much prefer it if we were a big side and I was looking forward to our Champions League draw this afternoon.

It is fun. But I'd much prefer it if we were a big side and I was looking forward to our Champions League draw this afternoon.

This is my take on big teams, compared to small teams, like us...

you watch the fans reactions when Man Utd (not recent obv.) Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal score. Their fans celebrate, but they dont have the same buzz as what we get IMHO. They expect their team to not only score, but win every game by a wide margin, 3-0, 4-0 etc. Iits that sense of entitlement & expectancy that comes with those big clubs that I wouldn't like as it'd become dull, as strange as that sounds. It's much more of a buzz (especially against bigger teams than us) to score/win. Getting something you expect is never as good as getting the same thing, but as a surprise. Just my opinion though :)

you watch the fans reactions when Man Utd (not recent obv.) Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal score. Their fans celebrate, but they dont have the same buzz as what we get IMHO. They expect their team to not only score, but win every game by a wide margin, 3-0, 4-0 etc. Iits that sense of entitlement & expectancy that comes with those big clubs that I wouldn't like as it'd become dull, as strange as that sounds. It's much more of a buzz (especially against bigger teams than us) to score/win. Getting something you expect is never as good as getting the same thing, but as a surprise. Just my opinion though :)

I understand you completely. The great moments we've had have been special in part due to all the crap we've sat through. E.g. drawing away to Chelsea compared to the home defeat to Boston - what an amazing contrast.

A lot of us as fans have done our time though - I wouldn't say no to a billionaire pumping money in to the club and rocking through the divisions at a rate of 100 points a season, tramping everyone else under our feet en route to global domination.

Hell, even 'doing a Wigan' - a few seasons in the top flight, a League Cup Final and an FA Cup win would be ok wouldn't it?

Second part:

Because its pretty much up the end of the road.

Support your local team.

I understand you completely. The great moments we've had have been special in part due to all the crap we've sat through. E.g. drawing away to Chelsea compared to the home defeat to Boston - what an amazing contrast.

A lot of us as fans have done our time though - I wouldn't say no to a billionaire pumping money in to the club and rocking through the divisions at a rate of 100 points a season, tramping everyone else under our feet en route to global domination.

Hell, even 'doing a Wigan' - a few seasons in the top flight, a League Cup Final and an FA Cup win would be ok wouldn't it?

Oh of course, if you're offering me a choice, then without doubt, I'd take that one.

But we're digressing, referring back to the options in the poll, my previous post & reasoning, is why I'd choose the 'not a big team' option :happy:

I think this sums it up... I turn up after all these years and I still don't know what is going to be served up... good or bad performances ...you neverknow

I like being a smallish club, I'd hate to follow a prem team...the way managers are sacked just because of a few poor results and having so many egos to deal with. I'm a 3rd generation Southend United supporter born within siight and sound of Roots Hall. Whilst I enjoy going to watch other games, and even be enthusiastic sometimes when one of the teams scores, I can never imagine feeling the way I do about MY club for any other one, not even where England are concerned.

Very difficult one. If I could put the top two together that would be perfect.....but I am born and bred in southend and this is my town my club with my people. ...

For me because it is my local team and I lived in the area for 30 years.

Unlike many on hear I am not originally from Southend and moved here when I was 16. I therefore grew up following the team where my parents came from but after moving here and regularly watching Southend they become my team.

I love the fact that it really is OUR club. I hate it when people refer to Man Utd as 'us' or 'we' when they have never even been to Manchester in their life. This is the town I was born and raised, this club is a part of that town, and feels like it's a part of me too. I can't understand the appeal of sitting in an armchair, watching a club from another town or city playing and wanting that club to win, in turn bringing success and pride to THAT town/city. I'm proud as **** to support my home team.

WHY is simple! its the town i was born and raised in, you can take the boy out of Southend , but you cant take Southend out of the boy.I may now live in Melbourne,but Southend is my town and my team ,for life.

Exactly the same reasons as "buffalowolf" although I live in Los Angeles now, was also born and raised in Southend and have not seen my Blues play live for over 30years, I am also proud to say I am from Southend and support my United, getting up at 7am every saturday there is a game. Cut me and I bleed BlueBlood (The Royal Blue of the Sixties)!

Back