• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Three reasons why Mark Molesley should never manage professionally again!

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
Ricky Holmes 9/10....Louis Walsh 8/10
Hackett Fairchild 8/10.....first two couldn’t get a start.
Today’s line up and style of play we would comfortably made the play offs.
As it is under clueless M.M we will comfortably make Non League.
What a difference under P.B and he’s only had a week to see proper players on our books.....crying shame we had this year under mr negative Geography teacher....today proved it??

"What a difference"

Still can't score.
To be fair I think there was a difference today. I don’t think there was last week. But the last time we played as positive as we did today was probably Forest Green.

As you say though, we can’t score. And if you have a squad full of players that can’t score then no manager is going to fix that with only 6 games to go.

We definitely on the front foot lot more with Brown in charge and create more chances....... but it is never ending scoreline :Thumbs down:

Don’t get me wrong, I was an advocate on here for Molesley to go & was glad to see him go, it should have happened 5 or 6 weeks back to give us a fighting chance of saving things when it was clear results weren’t coming.

Saying that, he was totally hamstrung for the first third of the season with the embargo as we all know.

If we were 10 points better off than we are then fine, let the guy stay to see how his ‘process’ unfolds in League 2 next season to give him a chance to succeed with his methods, recruitment etc.

But the fact is goals & wins are needed NOW & something had to change. So RM sacrificed Molesley & his methods & put an old hand in charge in a last ditch attempt.

We at least have him to thank for sorting out our awful shoddy leaky defence & make us difficult to beat.

I could be well wide of the mark but get the feeling with Molesley he was afraid to commit players up front in case it detracted from what he was trying to achieve in defence, like it was a trade off, one or the other.

Forget all the irrelevant “he's a decent guy“ BS, but it would be good to see him do well elsewhere. If it wasn’t for Southend effectively starting the season 15 games behind everyone else I think we’d be looking mid table comfortably in the belly button.

Sorry, I do go on...?

Last edited:
First time this season that I felt a team had been picked to win a game, and not just to stop the opposition. Not Brown's fault he's been left without proper strikers. Under normal circumstances, a point today would have been a good result. Sadly the position we're in, it's not enough.

The writing was on the wall when he ditched the white sneakers for the black and pink LA Gear ones.

What a difference under P.B and he’s only had a week to see proper players on our books.....crying shame we had this year under mr negative Geography teacher....today proved it??
180 minutes without scoring under PB so far..

Whilst I broadly agree, we could just have easily have lost that game 4-0. They had better chances then us. I think we've had enough MM threads havent we? Whats done is done, a great shame, but its all history.

I actually think our bigger worry is now Grimsby, I can see us and Col U going down.

But putting that aside & basing our survival on only having to get above Col U, we can't panic if they beat Walsall today, which could easily happen. I think it probably is vital we beat them on Tuesday either way, but they have a tough run in, as do Grimsby, both will still drop points. If we can somehow find a way to score and after beating Col U manage another 6 points from the remaining 3 games (not easy but based on today we're improving), we'd finish on 47 points which I think would be enough to stay up. Well you have to hope don't you..

Wonder what odds you'd get on both Essex sides going down now? A draw on Tuesday may suit neither team if Grimsby win

Whilst I broadly agree, we could just have easily have lost that game 4-0. They had better chances then us. I think we've had enough MM threads havent we? Whats done is done, a great shame, but its all history.
Yes, we’ve had more than enough M.M threads but all of them were different opinions from a lot of people
This thread was highlighting how bad he really was with today’s set up and style of play( and Phil Brown was never the most adventurous) , a game actually trying to win a game of football.
That joker would still be playing Acquah up front till our very last game!

Yes, we’ve had more than enough M.M threads but all of them were different opinions from a lot of people
This thread was highlighting how bad he really was with today’s set up and style of play( and Phil Brown was never the most adventurous) , a game actually trying to win a game of football.
That joker would still be playing Acquah up front till our very last game!
Yes was nice to actually set out to win.

I want to know who is advising him to bring goodship on? Fagan? Duncan?
Id rather play eggers as a targetman then goodship....

No one knows would have happened had PB taken over earlier. Of course it is easy to say we would have been safe but we just don't know.
By my reckoning five of our last ten games have finished 0-0, including the last two. Are we saying that our last two 0-0 results are worth more than the other three?
It is/was still three points as opposed to two points.
It could be said we came closer to defeating Exeter when played them earlier in the season than we did today. It could be said but it would be meaningless. Rather like some 0-0 results are better than others.

On performance metrics Southend are the 7th best side in the league over the past 16 games (source: Foxpunter). We have only won 3 games in that time because of our finishing.

The issue of players not being able to score goals has continued with Brown. Neither manager is at fault for it.

Back