• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cockle43

Manager⭐
(Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W.
Had the pleasure of having a chat with three Dutchmen in the Spread after the game last night.

Three friends on a football and rugby watching 10 day break in the UK, they'd managed to time it so they get to see 9 football games, at various levels, sandwiched around a trip to the Millenium Stadium for a Wales rugby international, all in their 10 days.
They'd started at Chelsea for the Cup game against Man City before moving on to watch us last night and then going on to Birmingham tonight.

They are all followers of Feyenoord and mentioned that they've also been waiting some years for a new ground.
They loved the fact that Roots Hall is an old ground full of character where the crowd is close to the pitch and combined with the passion shown by the fans the atmosphere that is created, they thought much better than Stamford Bridge on Sunday...:thumbsup:
Of our players, they were impressed by Barnett and the passion shown by Barrett, they thought Barnett is 'the real deal'.

Having enjoyed a couple of pints in the after match atmosphere of the Spread, something else they like about English football, the atmosphere in our pre and post match pubs, they happily made their way into the night to their hotel sporting newly purchased SUFC scarves and a promise to return.:thumbsup:

Bon voyage chaps, glad you enjoyed last night.:smile:

More members for the Exiles?

Two Chinese tourists in the West Stand TBV section last night only young lads maybe about 18 years old, they were videoing anything that moved!! Saw a few people talking to them, not sure if the rumour was true that they only found about us by watching footage of the Colchester 'incident'.

Before the Bury match a couple of Dutch lads asked me the way to the ground near Prittlewell station, they were Ajax fans and were a little bit disappointed that it wasn't a derby match. I also saw them in the ground sporting Southend merchandise bought from the club shop, they stood in the Blue Voice section and were joining in with the chants.

I suppose its one of the side effects of Southend Airport.

Let's hope. The more the merrier. Didn't we already have some Dutch Shrimpers?

I'm following some on twitter for some reason. I met a couple of Norwegian blokes in the spread the last time we were in league one - it was a friday night game and a bit like our orange friends, they were here for a few days to see a few matches. Saw them both walking towards Prittlewell Station after the match - they looked shell shocked:omg:

Aaah, yes. Saw the Chinese, I thought they were Japanese :unsure:, at the back of the West on the way out. There were about 4 or 5 busy videoing themselves and taking selfies, seemed very happy and excited, were they the same ones or another group?

I'm following some on twitter for some reason. I met a couple of Norwegian blokes in the spread the last time we were in league one - it was a friday night game and a bit like our orange friends, they were here for a few days to see a few matches. Saw them both walking towards Prittlewell Station after the match - they looked shell shocked:omg:

Yer, not the most glorious season in our history.....

Before the Bury match a couple of Dutch lads asked me the way to the ground near Prittlewell station, they were Ajax fans and were a little bit disappointed that it wasn't a derby match. I also saw them in the ground sporting Southend merchandise bought from the club shop, they stood in the Blue Voice section and were joining in with the chants.

I suppose its one of the side effects of Southend Airport.

To be honest I've thought of doing an overnighter to see Barcelona. Could probably do it for not much more than the cost of a Premier League ticket.:winking:

Had the pleasure of having a chat with three Dutchmen in the Spread after the game last night.

Three friends on a football and rugby watching 10 day break in the UK, they'd managed to time it so they get to see 9 football games, at various levels, sandwiched around a trip to the Millenium Stadium for a Wales rugby international, all in their 10 days.
They'd started at Chelsea for the Cup game against Man City before moving on to watch us last night and then going on to Birmingham tonight.

They are all followers of Feyenoord and mentioned that they've also been waiting some years for a new ground.
They loved the fact that Roots Hall is an old ground full of character where the crowd is close to the pitch and combined with the passion shown by the fans the atmosphere that is created, they thought much better than Stamford Bridge on Sunday...:thumbsup:
Of our players, they were impressed by Barnett and the passion shown by Barrett, they thought Barnett is 'the real deal'.

Having enjoyed a couple of pints in the after match atmosphere of the Spread, something else they like about English football, the atmosphere in our pre and post match pubs, they happily made their way into the night to their hotel sporting newly purchased SUFC scarves and a promise to return.:thumbsup:

Bon voyage chaps, glad you enjoyed last night.:smile:

More members for the Exiles?

Good to see you picked up some of their language in the pub.

Aaah, yes. Saw the Chinese, I thought they were Japanese :unsure:, at the back of the West on the way out. There were about 4 or 5 busy videoing themselves and taking selfies, seemed very happy and excited, were they the same ones or another group?
Must be the same ones, maybe they were Japanese then? I only saw 2 of them. Yes they were rather excited!

I see some guy is coming over from Australia for next Tuesdays game for his first visit to Roots Hall according to Southend twitter.

I've spoken to quite a few Dutch fans over the past few seasons,Italian,German and norwegian (in the spread)
Seems as has been said they take in a few games whilst here.
One thing they all say is how it is a cheap trip, which I find surprising as I've heard it's cheaper to see a game in Germany than the Premiership (including flights)

I've spoken to quite a few Dutch fans over the past few seasons,Italian,German and norwegian (in the spread)
One thing they all say is how it is a cheap trip, which I find surprising as I've heard it's cheaper to see a game in Germany than the Premiership (including flights)
Can't find the article, but over 1000 English fans travel to Dortmond for every match

I was at a German third tier game recently on a stag and to walk up on the day and stand on the terrace was €11 so not far off a third of the price of a seat at Roots Hall on the day.

Seats were more expensive than the terrace, tbf.

Must be the same ones, maybe they were Japanese then? I only saw 2 of them. Yes they were rather excited!

I see some guy is coming over from Australia for next Tuesdays game for his first visit to Roots Hall according to Southend twitter.

Someone told me that the Chinese/Japanese people there on Monday were from South Korea!

I was a Dutch Shrimper for five years and brought some Feyenoord fans with me one trip. Happily back home in old blighty now as a three hr drive just to get to the Eurotunnel made home games a full day.

I was living and working in Prague during the season we won League 1.

I managed to attend every home match and 14 of the away fixtures that season.....

thinking about it...... that's probably why I lost my job :(

Nice one Cockle, yep our Dutch fan base seems to be growing. But Feyenoord though.....Cockroaches!!

Back