• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

1. What is the southern hemisphere equivalent of the Aurora Borealis, also known as the Northern Lights? Aurora Australis

2. What yellow fossilised resin was used as jewellery by the Greeks and Romans? Amber

3. Who won the Golden boot at the 1974 football World Cup? Gregorz Lato

4. What was the first European country to issue banknotes? Sweden

5. Which leaves form the diet of the silkworm? Mulberry

6. In 1744, which British golf course established the first golf club? Muirfield

7. Which achievement links Arthur Martin-Leake, Noel Chavasse and Charles Upham? Double VC Winners

8. In Stingray what did WASP stand for? World Aquanaut Security Patrol

9. In the Gerry Anderson TV show, who was the sheriff of `Four Feather Falls`? Tex Tucker

10. In Thunderbirds, what was Lady Penelope`s surname? Creighton-Ward

11. Who sang `Always look on the Bright side of Life` in the closing titles of the film `As Good As It Gets`? Art Garfunkel

12. In which city does the Blue Nile meet the White Nile? Sudan Wrong, it aint a City, is it?!

13. Name the footballer at club level who has played along side Bobby Moore, Liam Brady and Alan Shearer? Tony Gale

14. Which film character has been played by Jack Lord, Cec Linder, Rik Van Nutter, Norman Burton, David Hedison, John Terry, David Hedison and Jeffrey Wright? Felix Leiter

15. In what year did Fletcher Christian lead the mutiny on the Bounty? 1789

16. Which actor is godfather to actress Jennifer Anniston? Telly Savalas

17. Which famous comedian made a record called `please mister custer` in 1960? Charlie Drake

18. When Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt were the last people to walk on the moon, what number was their Apollo mission? 17

19. As at 2006, who was the last european to win the Tour de France? Marco Pantini

20. Which group had a hit record in the 1970s, the 1980s and the 1990s and each time they had a completely different line up? England World Cup Squad

The rest of them are correct

I know bugger all about Golf to be honest. Im only going by where I got my quiz from!!

Its a bit much having to provide references for a pub quiz, but here goes.

Sport and the Making of Britain: A Social History by Derek Birley, at page 122

Its a bit much having to provide references for a pub quiz, but here goes.

Sport and the Making of Britain: A Social History by Derek Birley, at page 122

YB - the man knows his golfing onions. Seriously impressed with that.

Patience my cranially challenged friends.
I am working on putting a regular type of brainteaser in place on here which might come to rival Vaaaaannnggge's Thurs pub quizzes!!! :p

Yeah well make it easy and ban everyone else just to give us a chance...:)

YB - the man knows his golfing onions. Seriously impressed with that.

One of my history courses at uni was Leisure and Popular Culture, which was basically just the history of sport. Don't know so much about golf as (a) I'm not really interested in it as a sport and (b) it was far more popular in Scotland than England but I've read extensively about the history sport in general enough to know the basics.

Birley's book was one of the better ones, other academics in this field to look out for are people like Tony Mason, Jim Walvin (who was my tutor) and the wonderfully named Wray Vamplew.

Meh, I knew all the answers before it was posted.

Me & Mr Stokes are going to climb on top of the Houses of Parliament to complain about this FASCIST website ;)

Jonny hasn't got a problem with him being banned. Seems like it's only you that does. 3 words for you: GET OVER IT :p :D

The only reason I don't have a problem with it is because I'm banned for being cleverer than all of you, which is fine by me. :finger:

Back