• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tie #10: Wild Geese (Canvey) v Better off Dead (Mad Cyril)

Tie #10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wild Geese had a cast of British actors that defined film making at the time. Richard Burton, Roger Moore, Richard Harris, Frank Finlay and Ronald Fraser. And don't forget the brilliant Hardy Kruger and Stewert Grainger who actually produced a fine portrayal for once in his life. Having had a probaby unhealthy interest in mercenaries over the years, this films attention to detail was extremely good from the recruitment scenes to the training. Jack Watson pulled off the role of RSM Sandy Young with nothing short of genius and the supporting roles were acted out by men who more likely than not were ex-soldiers. A bit dated now I know but if you haven't seen it I would suggest you do. Burton and Harris are true legends and even Roger Moore puts in a less woodern performance. A final mention to Kenneth Griffith who plays Arthur Witty the medical orderly. I normally resent camp acting in films where it isn't warranted but in this case I can't see the character being played any other way. Great film and the title song is pretty good as well.

I've seen it mate, more than once.

1192-1.jpg

A cracking film about a gang of geriatric mercenaries trying to free an imprisoned African political leader long thought to be dead. Lead by Richard Burton and supported by Richard Harris, Roger Moore & Hardy Kruger. Plus some great stalwarts of British TV and film such as Ronald Fraser, Kenneth Griffith, Percy Herbert and Jack Watson who was great as the RSM.

Back