• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly's signings for the Championship

KrustyTheKray

President
Shouldn't Tilly have signed at least a couple of players from reserve sides in the Premiership?  There must be lots of talent sitting in the reserves that would be willing to play first team football in the ccc.

Or should he have looked in to getting a couple of fringe players from the premiership on year long loan deals?

Remember when Bournemouth signed Jermaine Defoe from West Ham on a year long loan deal, didn't he bang the goals in down at Dean Court!

Surely Tilly/Brush should do the same, or should have done the same.

I've not seen Harrold yet play for Southend, so i can't comment too much.

Paynter is not up to the championship end of!

I'm sorry but every time i've seen Hammell and Francis i've  not been convinced.  Same goes for JCR, the man has no final end product.

Ricketts is still an unknown quantity, but the short time he was on you can tell he has quality.  And he looks fitter to how i see him in the Chelmsford friendly many months back.

Clarke had a mare Sunday, but i think he'll be a good signing given time.

Hooper is like Ricketts an unknown quantity, given time he will develop.  But he is no better than Kightly IMHO.  I still think to this day we should have kept young Kights!  But i cant see Hooper setting the ccc alight, prove me wrong Gary.

Collis, a good back up for Flavs.  Better than Bart anyday!

Badbuy, no where near ccc quality these days.  L1 is his level.
He done well for us on the right side of midfield last season, but he just wont cut it in the ccc this year from the games he's played for us this season.

From what i've seen so far, this season will be a real struggle with the squad we have now.  

I just hope we finish above Col Ewe!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 26 2006,00:45)]Shouldn't Tilly have signed at least a couple of players from reserve sides in the Premiership?  There must be lots of talent sitting in the reserves that would be willing to play first team football in the ccc.
I can see your point but I'm guessing that these sort of players would be well beyond the scope of our playing budget for the season. By a long, long chalk.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm sorry but every time i've seen Hammell and Francis i've not been convinced
Both improving with every game.

Harrold is probably the best prospect of the new forwards but yeah i think we should have gone after some young talent on year long loans. e.g. Kerrea Gilbert from Arsenal was playing for Cardiff on Sunday and wenger always seems keen to lend his young players out. Wonder if we are too late for Fabregas.
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo1 @ Sep. 26 2006,00:05)]Kerrea Gilbert from Arsenal was playing for Cardiff on Sunday and wenger always seems keen to lend his young players out.
I thought that Gilbert had a good game against us Sunday.

He looks a very good player.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 26 2006,00:45)]Shouldn't Tilly have signed at least a couple of players from reserve sides in the Premiership?  There must be lots of talent sitting in the reserves that would be willing to play first team football in the ccc.

Or should he have looked in to getting a couple of fringe players from the premiership on year long loan deals?
Who said he didn't try?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 25 2006,23:45)]Paynter is not up to the championship end of!
sh!t end of..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Sep. 26 2006,09:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 25 2006,23:45)]Paynter is not up to the championship end of!
sh!t end of..
There you go again with that amazingly constructive criticism. Can't you give it a rest (or post with a little more intelligence)? I'm sure I'm not alone in finding your posts bloody boring and predictable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 26 2006,08:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Sep. 26 2006,09:06)]
[b said:
sh!t end of..
There you go again with that amazingly constructive criticism. Can't you give it a rest (or post with a little more intelligence)? I'm sure I'm not alone in finding your posts bloody boring and predictable.
My current opinion on CS J is as follows.

He is getting so many comments, just about himself.
He is making his valid opinions, albeit in a maybe in your face way.
And I don't like swearing, but I'm certainly not going to try and stop anyone!

(cue the swearing reply...)

think TonyTheKray has a good point - unfortunately Southend doesnt really have the pulling power to attract any decent big names unless they are free of course which means its very hard for us to compete with the big guns of this division. We have made it to this division so have got to give it a go but in all fairness our club based on size, support etc is 1st division not championship

The one problem with loaning premiership reserves is they arent your player. Is it better to get a short term solution in, or to get our own young players, such as Francis and Hammell and develop them instead ?

At least if we develop our own we have something at the end of it.

Id have been happy with a loan personally but dont think its the only way to go.

I am a big fan of TTK (aka Nicky) as a poster but I think this post is a tad b******s.

What sort of decent player with Championshi experience are we going to get for the money that we had to spend.

Tilly had to sign with his £650k that he has spent (And that was more than any of us could have hoped for) about 10 new players. Quite how he was going to get experienced players at this level for that money.

Francis & Hammell have been fantastic for next to nothing. Collis looks adequate. Ricketts I think was an eduacated gamble.

If Clarke and Painter had 50 games experience at this level I am sure they would have been out of our price bracket.

I am sure if and when we survive next season we will have a better chance of getting championship experienced players as let be honest who wants to join a newly promoted side who on paper have a good chance of going down.

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 25 2006,23:45)]Remember when Bournemouth signed Jermaine Defoe from West Ham on a year long loan deal, didn't he bang the goals in down at Dean Court!
Can you name anymore that have been as sensational as Defoe going out on loan?!

Have you any idea how many premiership players go out on loan each year and are sensational?! I'll help you out with the answer... Not very many!!

I know everyone seems to think Tilly can turn dust to gold, but come on be realistic for gods sake.

As for the Hammell comment although I have seen limited games he looks class, and easily the best left back we have had at the club since Chrissy Powell.

Also, would loan signings have had the same commitment to the club and team spirit as say signings on three year contracts? Team spirit and commitment to the club have been a major factor in bringing us this far.

Hypothetically, we bring in an Arsenal loanee at the January transfer window. He's an absolute gem and shines out amongst the players around him. End of season he buggers off back to Arsenal or to another club that can afford his contract and wages and we are left to find a quality replacement. Not exactly the best scenario if your looking to build a squad based on long term team spirit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 25 2006,23:45)]Badbuy, no where near ccc quality these days.  L1 is his level.
He done well for us on the right side of midfield last season, but he just wont cut it in the ccc this year from the games he's played for us this season.
Bradbury has improved this season from the games he has played and thats not many so im not sure what games you've been watching . He looks sharp and hungry. He works well for the ball and his fitness levals has gone up. He also links up well with Freddy take the sunderland for example.
suspect.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]End of season he buggers off back to Arsenal or to another club that can afford his contract and wages and we are left to find a quality replacement

I wouild argue that if he does a job and helps keep us up it has been worth it. Then we either sign the quality replacement or if not available get another loanee.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Have you any idea how many premiership players go out on loan each year and are sensational?!
And you could also argue how many permanent signings prove to be sensational.

Weren't Stephen Broad (Chelsea) and Nicky Nicolau (Arsenal) signed from premiership reserves and they didn't exactly set the world on fire

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Sep. 26 2006,09:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Sep. 25 2006,23:45)]Remember when Bournemouth signed Jermaine Defoe from West Ham on a year long loan deal, didn't he bang the goals in down at Dean Court!
Can you name anymore that have been as sensational as Defoe going out on loan?!

Have you any idea how many premiership players go out on loan each year and are sensational?!  I'll help you out with the answer... Not very many!!

I know everyone seems to think Tilly can turn dust to gold, but come on be realistic for gods sake.

As for the Hammell comment although I have seen limited games he looks class, and easily the best left back we have had at the club since Chrissy Powell.
Michael Chopra was a success when loaned out from Newcastle.

Michael Proctor was a success when loaned out from Sunderland.

Stephen Kelly was a success when loaned out from Tottenham.

Niclas Bendter is proving to be a succes on loan from Arsenal.

Those are the ones I can think of from the top of my head. Also, the centre midfielder from Arsenal at Birmingham is getting rave reviews as is Gilbert at Cardiff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ Sep. 26 2006,14:16)]I took my dad along & he a Chelsea fan, he said Paynter was S##t. that say it all.
Must be true, your dad the Chelsea fan would never get anything wrong would he. Christ!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Sep. 26 2006,18:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ Sep. 26 2006,14:16)]I took my dad along & he a Chelsea fan, he said Paynter was S##t. that say it all.
Must be true, your dad the Chelsea fan would never get anything wrong would he. Christ!
Hmm, maybe your dad is used to the team that has spend 100's of millions...maybe...
rock.gif

Back