• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ShrimperJim

Coach
Steve Tilson is expected to step up his attempts to bring hitman Scott McGleish to the Shrimpers this week.
Tilson needs to move for a proven goalscorer after losing last seasons hitman Leon Constantine to Peterborough over the weekend.
The Shrimpers' manager is believed to be tracking experienced Colchester United forward McGleish and will now be determined to bring the Layer Road striker to the south of the county from Blues' Essex rivals.
McGleish 30, netted 17 times for the U's during the previous campaign, and has netted more then 100 goals in a career which has seen him play for both Leyton Orient and Barnet, and the front runner is keen to join another club after rejecting a new deal to stay with the farmers.

Blues are facing competition with Bristol Rovers also interested.

Surely he would favour us ahead of Bristol Rovers??? Wouldn't have thought he would have to re locate!

But he is another older player so it will be down to contract length and financial package rather than location unless his family are adamant they do not want to move.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ May 24 2004,14:02)]Woah - great minds and all that, except I went back to the original post by Spiff.
Couldn't be arsed to hunt for the original one, there's loads of Constantine ones so i thought two McGleish's won't hurt
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dreams @ May 24 2004,14:02)]Surely he would favour us ahead of Bristol Rovers??? Wouldn't have thought he would have to re locate!
How do you know where he lives?
rock.gif

A quote from McGleish :

"Wherever I finish up I hope the fans will understand."

"Wherever I finish up ..."? Why would he want Col Ewe fans to understand wherever he finished up? Maybe because he's going to their arch-rivals? Hmmm ... interesting ... intriguing ...

WS

Would be a great signing for us. Hope the club can push things forward before anyone else gets involved ie Rovers

As I have said in a past post Mcgleish and GOWER played together for barnet so maybe they could have a good understanding and goals a plenty .If the rumours are true .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ May 24 2004,20:28)]A quote from McGleish :

"Wherever I finish up I hope the fans will understand."

"Wherever I finish up ..."? Why would he want Col Ewe fans to understand wherever he finished up? Maybe because he's going to their arch-rivals? Hmmm ... interesting ... intriguing ...

WS
Wycombe don't want him though?
tounge.gif

that would be tilly's best signing so far if the deal is completed. we need someone to partner dudders upfront and they would surely net many together.

i also heard a youngster (who is surprisingly lanky for his age) was also tickling tilly's fancy today...i think he is called luke hurley or enilorak stubrous or something like that?
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (petejan @ May 24 2004,21:31)]As I have said in a past post Mcgleish and GOWER played together for barnet so maybe they could have a good understanding and goals a plenty .If the rumours are true .
No... it's not a rumour... they definately played together at Barnet!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 25 2004,08:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (petejan @ May 24 2004,21:31)]As I have said in a past post Mcgleish and GOWER played together for barnet so maybe they could have a good understanding  and goals a plenty .If the rumours are true .
No... it's not a rumour... they definately played together at Barnet!  
tounge.gif
I think the understanding they have will not be that signifcant to be honest. Although if they are already know each other I am sure that they can work on it and build it up..

Scott lives near South Mimms I believe.
There are strong rumours in Colchester that he will be on his way soon.He wants a 2 year deal and we will only offer him one year.I think he will go to the club who gives him the best deal financially whether that is a 2nd or 3rd division club.
You boys would be favourites over Bristol Rovers I would think, this rumour has been around for 10 days or so in Colchester.
I am sure you know that you will get a very good player if he signs, one who wins a large amount of headers for a relatively small striker.
He runs his heart out all the game, and has a lot of skill.
If he had a little more pace about him I am sure he would be a 1st division striker.
Good luck next season boys, hope you hang onto Wozza, if he stays fit he is a big advantage against the physical 3rd division strikers.

Altho most of us U's fans will be sad to see him go, he's a striker who is certainly replacable at our level and if we are serious about getting to the play-off area he's the type of player we need to let go and replace with higher quality finishers.

He runs his heart out every game and wins a lot of balls in the air but his finishing is not the best by a long shot. Would probably do well for you in the 3rd and score a few goals. Be warned tho, he gets VERY stroppy if he isn't picked and moans to the media a lot to try and get his own way.

Back