• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly on BBC Essex this morning

Somerset Ex-TTB

Members
Surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet, but Tilly on BBC Essex this morning saying that the loan market hasn't been ideal this year, and that the top 6 is possibly too far to reach this season.

A season of consolidation in league one. Reading between the lines this was Tilly saying that he doesn't have the funds (or ability) to strenghten the squad this January, and that we are going to struggle for the remainder of the season, and finish mid table will be an achievement.

Now I know that Chelsea has made us all forget about our poor league form, and for a couple of games made us think that the current starting XI are brilliant, however the squad has serious weakness's that need addressing.

Did anyone else hear this and think the same thing, or is it just me being paranoid?

Hes just being realistic... The playoffs are now surely out of reach!!! He knows loans are not the best way forward but Gowers/Baileys late departures left him with little choice! Consilidation it is - so perhaps its not worth throwing money at the situation now. We'll see... but the interview on the OS suggests we have already made bids for players!!!

Hes just being realistic... The playoffs are now surely out of reach!!! He knows loans are not the best way forward but Gowers/Baileys late departures left him with little choice! Consilidation it is - so perhaps its not worth throwing money at the situation now. We'll see... but the interview on the OS suggests we have already made bids for players!!!

So we have failed to improve on last season BOTTOM LINE!

Sounds quote negative to me. That is not like Tilly, he is normally quite upbeat.

I know its not where we wnat to be, but mid table isnt that bad and we do have some talent on the pitch. Championship is where we should be but another year in league one wont hurt us. Time to build!!!

Surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet, but Tilly on BBC Essex this morning saying that the loan market hasn't been ideal this year, and that the top 6 is possibly too far to reach this season.

A season of consolidation in league one. Reading between the lines this was Tilly saying that he doesn't have the funds (or ability) to strenghten the squad this January, and that we are going to struggle for the remainder of the season, and finish mid table will be an achievement.

Now I know that Chelsea has made us all forget about our poor league form, and for a couple of games made us think that the current starting XI are brilliant, however the squad has serious weakness's that need addressing.

Did anyone else hear this and think the same thing, or is it just me being paranoid?

Regardless of funds available, this was a season of consolidation. We lost the heart of our team when Bailey and Gower left in the summer. You can't replace players like that overnight and new signings and a slightly different way of playing need time to bed in. I think you are reading far too much into it.

Sounds quote negative to me. That is not like Tilly, he is normally quite upbeat.

I know its not where we wnat to be, but mid table isnt that bad and we do have some talent on the pitch. Championship is where we should be but another year in league one wont hurt us. Time to build!!!

Where we have spent 7 or 8 seasons out of our entire history! :unsure:

I agree, a top 10 finish would be about what is expected, and I am not complaining that we are not going for the top 6. (Most of us realised that about 2 months ago, if not longer).

It was Tilly's negativity and downbeat manner of the interview that alarmed me, as with the Chelsea cash, I would of expected something different.

It was almost as if he was planning to let us all down gently when the end of Jan comes and goes with limited transfer activity.

I hope I am wrong

I have a feeling of Deja vu as I'm sure I posted the same sort of thing exactly 12 months ago.

You lot seem to forget that the nature of a Steve Tilson SUFC is a team that goes on runs (good runs as well as bad runs). We havent had a good run for a few months, but if we can put a good run together soon, and keep it going until the end of the season, we will make the Play-offs.

We havent got a bad side. We've got a side that matched chelsea for 3 halves.

With a run of wins the confidence will build.

Now is the time to take the positives from the Chelsea games. We are not a bad side. We have got some good youngsters coming through, as well as some decent older heads.
COYB!!!

I have a feeling of Deja vu as I'm sure I posted the same sort of thing exactly 12 months ago.

You lot seem to forget that the nature of a Steve Tilson SUFC is a team that goes on runs (good runs as well as bad runs). We havent had a good run for a few months, but if we can put a good run together soon, and keep it going until the end of the season, we will make the Play-offs.

Now is the time to take the positives from the Chelsea games. We are not a bad side. We have got some good youngsters coming through, as well as some decent older heads.
COYB!!!

Thats rubbish just because we normally do in no way means we will!

I hope that Sir Steve is "managing expectations" and perhaps playing a game with the chairman .....

cos I don't think the slightest whiff of defeatism or lack of ambition is acceptable

COYB!!!

Good post. This is what I like about Tilson, he is always going to tell the truth and be realistic. Mid table will not be bad for us, maybe we havn't improved on last season, but injuries have played a very big roll in that, as Tilly states on the site, Freedman and Barnard have been out for ten weeks a piece, our 2 main strikers(along with Laurent who has been in and out) Macca has been out injured and took a while to get back into the swing of things. Tilly has done amazing in the loan market bringing in some superb players, just a shame none could stay on season long loans or even half season loans like Harding.

It will always be tough to improve when you loose quality players like Bailey, Gower, Flahaven over a short period. But with the signings Tilson has made I am happy that with maybe a few more for next season, we will be a force next time round.

In the short term I can see us being very inconsistant.

So we have failed to improve on last season BOTTOM LINE!

Ahem... the season hasn't finished yet. But no, we probably won't improve on last season because the only way we could do that would be to get automatic promotion or into the play off final and those are both extremely unlikely.

However, last season we were bloody awful at home to Bristol Rovers on New Years Day, losing 1-0, and then went on a long run where we only lost 2 games for the rest of the season. So anythings possible.

Come on Scott, show us how true blue you can be and stop looking for the negatives.

Hard to improve on last when our 3 best players left.

Darryl, Mulgrew and by far Bailey.

Never thought he was amazing but gower was a solid player 2.

Ahem... the season hasn't finished yet. But no, we probably won't improve on last season because the only way we could do that would be to get automatic promotion or into the play off final and those are both extremely unlikely.

However, last season we were bloody awful at home to Bristol Rovers on New Years Day, losing 1-0, and then went on a long run where we only lost 2 games for the rest of the season. So anythings possible.

Come on Scott, show us how true blue you can be and stop looking for the negatives.

At present we have not improved but fingers crossed (sorry I did not mean to come over too negative)

We havent got a bad side. We've got a side that matched chelsea for 3 halves

We didnt 'match' Chelsea, we just worked hard and somehow managed to limit them to one goal in over two hours of football. This was a huge achievement but apart from work rate (where we exceeded them) we did not match them in any other way. The problem is that its fairly easy to find players who will put in the effort and throw their bodies on the line to keep teams out but its a totally different story when it comes to creating and scoring goals. If you look at the goals and assists of Gower, Bailey and even Maher over the last few years you will see just how weak our current midfield is from a productive point of view, add to that the fact we probably wont have a striker scoring more than 10 or 12 goals this season and you realise that a midtable finish at best is probably all we have to hope for come May.

agreed.. just as long as that long term target does not fade

Hard to improve on last when our 3 best players left.

Darryl, Mulgrew and by far Bailey.

Never thought he was amazing but gower was a solid player 2.

also true, we have not done badly at all for the first team players that have left!

Back