• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stoned Shrimper

In Meridian’s Soccer Night last night there were no startling revelations in the Tilson interview of course but there was footage of a great ball into the box for Dreweee to pull back and Gray to hammer into the net ... on the training pitch of course but it shows they can do it ... against the Blues defence!

Here’s something of what was said.

Despite a slow start to the campaign, spirits are high for the season ahead.  

Tilly:  “I’m happy with the squad, it’s a stronger squad than last year.  We’ve 5 new signings – including Wayne Gray, centre forward from Wimbledon – our only goal scorer so far but we just haven’t had a bit of luck in front of goal.  You need that little bit of luck to give the players confidence especially centre forwards because there’s nothing worse than not scoring goals for a few games, their heads go down.  But we’ve got to keep plugging away and hopefully we’ll start getting a few results.

I couldn’t ask for a better set of lads.  They work as hard as they can on the pitch, they work as hard as they can in training.  You can’t ask for any more than that.

I’ve had a chat with the boys and they’re down that we haven’t had a good start.  They’re saying we know we’re only 4 games into it – we know we can do more - we know we’re a better side than the position we’re in.  I know that but we’ve got to get results and I know they know that.  We’re just on that fine line of being a good side and we need that first one to go in and kick start us off and give everyone a lift.

Friday’s going to be a tough game but there’s no reason why we can’t go there and do well.  They’re 2nd and Macclesfield are 3rd so we’ve got two good games coming up now – it’ll show us where we are.”

Steve is studying for an Applied Management in Football qualification alongside the likes of Stuart Pearce and Tony Adams.

Tilly: “It’s a week away at Warwick University then 5 individual days and then we go back for a week next year.  In between we have to do 4 assignments including stress management, man management skills with players and influencing the chairman -  a tough one.  Basically everything to do with management within the football circle so it’s obviously really important for me to do because I’m learning about things all the time.”

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stoned Shrimper @ Aug. 27 2004,10:39)]and influencing the chairman -  a tough one.
but we haven't got a chairman

sad.gif

I don't believe this is what Tilly said, at all. What gives it away? There is not one mention of the phrase "Like I say".

tounge.gif

I think you're on to something OS.  He's supposed to have said "they work as hard as they can on the pitch, they work as hard as they can in training"... but no mention of "working their socks off!"  

What's going on!?

I think it's about time for the Barry Fry approach...

FRY what was all that sh*te? you've all played absolute crap!
PLAYER'S that's unfair, the fans weren't booing us?
FRY NO! but I expected you to beat 'em 6-0, but you only won 2-1, what the f**k's that all about?
PLAYER'S but... we got the 3 points and we're sitting sixth in the table gaffer!?!
FRY but 6-0 and we'd be fourth, you lazy bunch of tw*ts... If I could have subbed the whole team, i would have done, you're all crap!
PLAYER'S but...
FRY shut the f**k up, you're all playing in the reserves tomorrow night, now p*ss off... you useless bunch of to**ers!

ghostface.gif

Not exactly, the way I would do it... but you have to admire the man! he got results!!!  
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Aug. 28 2004,10:35)]I feel fry is what we need
Fry would be great... but I have more faith in Tilson & Brush turning things around and I can see light at the end of the tunnel despite last night's defeat...
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 28 2004,20:43)]I have more faith in Tilson & Brush turning things around
Not that I mean to sound disillusioned, disappointed, disrespectful, discombobulated etc, etc, BUT!

This is all beginning to sound a lot like the "minor hiccup" that was the Wignall Revolution.

"Great set of lads"...
"Much stronger squad"...
"luck in front of the goal"...

Blah, blah, blah.

5 matches, 2 goals and 23rd... we looked toothless in the friendlies and it would appear that, since the season started, we've developed gum disease as well!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ Aug. 27 2004,11:41)]"ever so well" is another catch-phrase missing.
He did actually use that, just the once though, which must be some kind of record.

"Bart Griemink, a goalkeeper, has come in and done ever so well to be fair"

Arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

laugh.gif

I'm sorry but Tilson needs an urgent course in how to talk to to the media. His after match interviews etc are very poor and peppered with phrases such as "like I say", "to be fair", "you know" etc - its embarrassing to hear and it compares poorly with other managers who clearly seem a lot more comfortable with the media.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ Aug. 29 2004,01:28)]I'm sorry but Tilson needs an urgent course in how to talk to to the media. His after match interviews etc are very poor and peppered with phrases such as "like I say", "to be fair", "you know" etc - its embarrassing to hear and it compares poorly with other managers who clearly seem a lot more comfortable with the media.
f-f-f-funny, I d-d-d-didn't hear him s-s-s-stutter?

sad.gif

Back