• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly Out! Bradbury In! 4-1 means we're world-beaters!

Following on from the Leyton Orient game, I'm hoping this is an early lesson for the one-game makes a season crowd we sometimes get on this board - you know who you are!

Last night just shows how almost every game can be turned on one decision, one piece of play or one slice of luck.

A penalty scored and we're out of the Carling Cup, it's two home defeats in a week, Tilson is yet again the villain, and we go into the Leeds match forlorn with shoulders slumped and with our tails between our legs.

A penalty saved and it's a crushing 4-1 victory, a ticket to the next round, four goals scored, a confidence-building hat-trick for one of our strikers, and eager anticipation for our long trip to Leeds.

Just as the unjust sending-off and a beautiful free-kick at home to Orient didn't finish our season and show Tilson up for the inexperienced chancer some would have us believe, this victory doesn't negate our striking problems, cause anguish throughout the rest of League 1, or make the bookies recalculate our title odds!

Perhaps our first week is a timely reminder that, despite the need for some Monday morning venting, at the start of the season, one game, one goal that changes a game, or indeed one moment in a game that changes the outcome does not make a season.

Relax folks - it's going to be a long season with plenty of ups and downs.

Last edited:
Very good post SBH. It is obvious some people overreacted on saturday, and we should not overreact about yesterdays result either. we did not play too well, but as you say, it has to a massive confidence boost for all at the club.

Agree with all you say SBH - and it is going to be a long and at times painful journey, I suspect . We only need to look at how quickly our squad was reduced after pre-season and one match thru injury and suspension to know how tricky its gonna be

I notice Her Royal Wigness has not yet voted on the 'Should Tilly be sacked after one match' thread . A dilemma for her ? Even she must feel that to sack the manager after one match is a nonsense - so why rant and rave , no matter how poor it was ?

Good post SBH, I stayed off the board for a couple of days after orient game because I knew the moaners would be out in force. No doubt wiggy had a go as well as a few others, some people seem to think we should be winning every week, always at the top of the table etc etc but the truth is its never really been like that at southend, back to back promotions seems to have altered expectations amongst some fans. I however follow the saying 'its not always good at southend but its never boring'

I was critical, of our first game,and i was not a Bradbury fan. I still think the team as a whole should be more aware of there defensive dutys as Chelt goal showed. But i will stand up and say i was wrong about Bradbury. and no one could be more pleased than me

Can't believe you've misquoted me like that!

I didn't change a word of what you'd said.
:fart:

Still, just goes to show what a bit of selective editing can do. The people who make posters for films live and die by their ability to do exactly that, e.g.

"The middle part of the film was so dull that I was mesmerised"

becomes:

"...I was mesmerised"

:D

Back