• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly to Charlton?

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
On Talksport this morning Alan Brazil and Graham Beecroft were discussing the possible successors to Alan Curbishley at Charlton, and thought that an up and coming young manager, like Phil Parkinson or Steve Tilson, both of whom have done excellent jobs, would be in the frame.

With Sir Chris Powell at Charlton do you think Tilly would be tempted if approached?  He wouldn't have to re-locate and we couldn't compete with their wages.

I's like to think not and always thought that he would take this club as far as he could, but...

I think at this point in his career he'd be senisble to stay put. He clearly loves Southend, and doesn't give the impression of being a breadhead. The Prem is still quite a leap for someone who is relatively new to football management and who's only success (however brilliant we all think it is) has been in the lower leagues. If next season sees us comfortably consolidating ourselves in the Championship with some inspired new Tilson signings then I doubt we could hold on to him for much longer.

Well, I certainly wouldn't blame him or begrudge him his big chance, but I just can't see it to be honest.

1. He loves it here and he is a hero.
2. And I don't mean this nastily, I don't think he is one of the more 'fashionable' managers due to the fact that he has only ever played for us and is therefore not that well known. Also, his post match interviews don't exactly exude confidence and are unlikely to get him the required media attention (unlike say Martin Allen).

Charlton is exactly the sort of job that Tilly could or would leave us for IMO. A well established Prem club and in London so he does not have to uproot himself and family.

Having said that I think Charlton will look to appoint a manager that can move them forward, in the manner that Mark Hughes has done at Blackbur. However well thought of Tilly is I don't think he will fit that bill. Remember Peter Taylor and the demise of Leicester.

If Tilly is offered another job and accepts he should go with our blessing and a huge thank you for what he has achieved in the past two years.

Charlton is looking at Parky from Col Ewes, Watford manager (his name seem to slip from my memory), Martin Allen & Newell from Luton. So dont panic yet!

Charlton and Curbs have parted as they dont think either can take the other one forward. Surely this means they want a proven manager at that level rather than a manger who hasnt even prove himself at the level below.

Tilly has worked worked wonder and another good season and I would be worried but barring in mind Charlton are in top 15 clubs in England cant see them going for a novice manager.

DtS

No disrespect to both Tilly and Parky who have both done great jobs but I think they will be looking at managers who are in charge of clubs similar size to that of Charlton
The likes of Glenn Hoddle, Micky Adams and Dave Jones are more likely candidates as they have managed in the top flight before and done ok jobs

With regards to any other higher profile job coming Tilly's way I see this;

Tilly so far would of been pleased by the way that Ron has backed him
We've now got to championship level but what we now need to do establish and then progress from this level

Major player in that would be the new stadium, if Tilly see's Ron pull his finger out with this then he is more likely to want to stay and oversee the next exciting chapter in our history

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Murkey_Mouse @ May 03 2006,13:59)]Watford manager (his name seem to slip from my memory)
Ade Boothroyd

I still think Burley will get it - I heard a very strong rumour he was who they were after if Curbs got the England job.

I also think Newell is an outsider for the Newcastle job.

It's probably not Charlton we should be worried about, but higher profile Championship roles, maybe not Watford & Luton as they're only a bit further on from us in terms of stature but say if Dowie left Palace......

I mentioned on here before the chances of Tilly doing a 'Dario Gradi' and being in charge for 20 years, i've heard it said that when we released him as a player he went to Canvey as he "didnt want to play league football for anyone other than Southend" ... i don't know how true that is, but i'm pretty certain Lincoln and Cambridge offered him terms after he left us but turned them down.
So if it is true, and we all know what the club means to him, then why wouldn't he stick around ??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ May 03 2006,14:00)]Charlton and Curbs have parted as they dont think either can take the other one forward. Surely this means they want a proven manager at that level rather than a manger who hasnt even prove himself at the level below.

Tilly has worked worked wonder and another good season and I would be worried but barring in mind Charlton are in top 15 clubs in England cant see them going for a novice manager.

DtS
I was going to write something like that, you done it for me Dave!
smile.gif
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure the usual names will pop up but Tilly will stay put this summer. As said above, perhaps we could have our very own Dario Gradi. (Hopefully without the relegation though)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm pretty sure the usual names will pop up but Tilly will stay put this summer. As said above, perhaps we could have our very own Dario Gradi. (Hopefully without the relegation though)

Hopefully we can enjoy one more promotion in the next 5 season without getting relegated! that would be too greedy
tounge.gif

Another thing, I feel its was Tilson love & passion for this club that drove him forward in last few season. I cannot see Jose, Wenger or Ferguson can do what Tilson did at Southend can they
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BLUEBLOOD @ May 03 2006,14:13)]I mentioned on here before the chances of Tilly doing a 'Dario Gradi' and being in charge for 20 years, i've heard it said that when we released him as a player he went to Canvey as he "didnt want to play league football for anyone other than Southend" ...  i don't know how true that is, but i'm pretty certain Lincoln and Cambridge offered him terms after he left us but turned them down.
So if it is true, and we all know what the club means to him, then why wouldn't he stick around  ??
I don't think that is entirely true, didn't he go on loan to Brentford at one point?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (eastwoodblue @ May 03 2006,15:22)]I'm pretty sure the usual names will pop up but Tilly will stay put this summer. As said above, perhaps we could have our very own Dario Gradi. (Hopefully without the relegation though)
Well we are going to get relegated evenutaully we have to be realistic. I just hope when it does people don't turn on Tilson.
Crewe stuck with Gradi last time and he took them back up.

I know so many football fans are fickle and will turb on Tilson if things don't go well but I never will. You only had to remember how we were before he took over.

I would stick with Tilly & Brush no matter what we do next season, its be an sucess if we finish 21st, if not, I would back them coming down to league 1 season 2007/08 with stronger squad & more experince (expect Freddy & Luke Gutteridge) and make another promotion aims.

Newcastle have applied for special dispensation for Roeder to take over even though he is lacking his Uefa Pro License.
Do you need one in the Coca Cola League cos if Tilly doesnt have one he won't be going to Charlton.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ May 03 2006,14:05)]I still think Burley will get it - I heard a very strong rumour he was who they were after if Curbs got the England job.
I heard the very same and I'd be very surprised if he turned it down, he's clearly their first choice.

Tilly will go no-where. He loves our club to bits and will be the next Dario Grady!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] i don't know how true that is, but i'm pretty certain Lincoln and Cambridge offered him terms after he left us but turned them down.

I think this was more of a financial decission

Back