• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News TILLY WANTS A CHANGE IN CAMPAIGNS

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United legend Steve Tilson feels the suspension in the season should lead to a permanent change in football.

More...

Don't be silly Tilly.

Imagine the players running around in 30 degree plus temperatures. I don't think so.

Don't be silly Tilly.

Imagine the players running around in 30 degree plus temperatures. I don't think so.

they manage it all around the world and at world cups etc. It’s completely achievable and may just need some water breaks. Better for everyone if it was through the summer and the break was during January / February

Yep, but around the world at a different standard and far less intensity than top European leagues. There would also be the conflict with summer sports to consider, notably cricket.

What happens to all the fields that are used for other sports like cricket and athletics in the summer?

It's an interesting idea and now would be the time to consider it if they were ever going to make the change.

Rugby league made the switch a few years back so it's possible. It would probably require all of football to shift their calendar though: whilst I couldn't give two hoots about the Fourth & Upwards Champions (sic) Knockout European Revenue Securing League, the clubs that do have way more sway. More importantly, how would this fit in with World Cups and European Championships? Would the English leagues continue without all the best players in the WorldEngland for two months?

Part of football's success has been that it filled a hole when there wasn't cricket, athletics, tennis and all those summer sports but maybe football so big now that it can dictate terms and make the other sports fit around it.

How can you fit cricket around football? The financial implications for the other sports could be immense.

Injuries would increase due to rock hard pitches, crowds would be down due to holidays, there would be no friendlies with Great Wakering which we'd lose 2-0 and everyone would want the manager sacked.

I agree with this, much nicer to be watching in the warm sun rather than cold rain and wind! I could have flag bearers out every match!

Injuries would increase due to rock hard pitches, crowds would be down due to holidays, there would be no friendlies with Great Wakering which we'd lose 2-0 and everyone would want the manager sacked.
Surely pitches are more dangerous in the winter? Your leg getting stuck in the mud and pulling seems more of a danger to me than a hard pitch (which shouldn't really be a concern so long as it's been watered, you don't see players during a hot world cup getting injured because they hit the ground hard). Plus the cold makes your muscles contract which can cause injuries if you don't warm up properly.

Why would anyone want a winter sport in the summer.

What about the European leagues and than Champions league that are so precious for the big boys.....Summer football in Italy, Greece or Turkey......Don't think so

But what would we do on miserable winter weekeds??

The same as what we currently do, when the match is called off due to a frozen or waterlogged pitch. Basically nothing between November and February.

I'm also personally in favour of playing through the summer. It makes more sense to me, warmer weather on the terrace's and the pitches, also to add lighter evenings for evening kick off's in mid week for away fans travelling back home (and more local business's would profit in the summer by sticking around after the final whistle, to either go for a meal in drink in a beer garden etc).

I would like to add, it wouldn't clearly work for the Premier league and some of the Championship clubs, (due to a majority of international call ups in Euro or World Cup call up's for players)

But i think it would make clear sense for Div 1 and Div 2 and the national league clubs.

Last edited:
Personally can't see the attraction for watching football in the height of summer. A number of grounds are just suntraps, I can still remember just how hot it was at MK Dons this year.

Cricket and football seasons need to be kept seperate as far as possible. Another perfectly valid reason for keeping football in the winter is pitch maintenace. Funnily enough grass doesn't grow well in the winter.

Back